What's new

5 channel amp pricing( what did you pay?) and recomendations needed please (1 Viewer)

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
After posting several threads on this topic, and doing countless hours of research, I have narrowed it down to these choices. Please let me know what you folks think of these, and if you own them, what price should I expect to pay. I know the MSRP of these, but I'm looking for a price to walk into the dealer with and expect to pay. I would love to know what I should be willing to pay for any of these. I am only 22, so when a dealer sees me, I am expected to pay full price The only place that takes me seriously, and doesn't expect full MSRP from me is 2.5 hours away, and in Canada. I have no objection driving up there, but it would be nice to be taken seriously in my own state

I can get the Anthem in Canada for around 1100-1200.00 US.

My local Parasound dealer wants full MSRP for the 2205, but I read on this forum that someone said the 2205 can be had for 1500.00 US, If this is true, please tell me where, and If they are an authorized dealer.

The Rotel 1095 retails for 1999.00 US, but does anyone have any idea what I could possibly get one of these for?

And as for the B&K reference 7250 (MSRP of 2500.00 US), There is an online dealer that claims to be an Authorized dealer of B&K(I called B&K and they confirmed this), who has the Reference 7250 for 1899.00 US plus shipping. Is this a good deal for this amp. Also, is this amp a quantum leap from the Anthem and Parasound? I don't really want to spend 2,000 on an amp, but if it's a huge difference, I may consider it.

Like I said before, I don't mind traveling a few hours for a better deal.

I value all of your advice, so please let me know what you think.

Thanks again,

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
ATI has a 5 channel amp that is unreal. Not too expensive either. Sorry, don't have the model number tho.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
With the advent of 7 channel surround becoming "the norm", 5 channel amps are being cleared out by some manufacturers. I've heard of Harmon Kardon Signature 2.0 amps going for under $500. I got my new Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 for under $400 shipped. Shop around.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Fred, I got my Anthem in Montreal for $1625 Canadian, which equates to $1020 US.

My recommendation? Get the Anthem...it's a very good performer for that price and I doubt the Parasound is twice as good for twice the money.

What I would do is enjoy the Anthem for 4-5 years, then when you've saved a little more money, get a dedicated 2 channel amp for your main speakers and use the Anthem to fill out a 7.1 system. When you have a little more money to play with, you can get a Bryston or an Odyssey or the Parasound if Music is critically important to you.

That being said, the Anthem is a tremendous value and will definately hold it's own with those other amps IMO.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I got the Rotel 1095 for $1700.00. The down side is that Rotels aren't sold on the net.
Two great amps(Rotel and Parasound). You'll be happy with either one. Here's some links on the 2205.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The ATI model is the AT2505 which retails for $2,695. It has 250 watts per channel. Requires a dedicated 20 amp outlet, 12 gauge electrical wire, and a 20 or 30 amp fuse. It's supposed to be pretty darn nice.

Dan

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Dan, your comments just reminded me of something. Thanks.

Fred,

Whatever amp you get. Definately get a dedicated 20 amp circuit put in. No use having a big amp and starving it for power. Also either get a really good surge protector. (Do a search. Several members have recommended good ones that don't starve/choke the amps power) or go straight to the outlet.

J

John Morris

ATI model is the AT2505 which retails for $2,695.
I use two of these in my primary HT. I bought the first one a few years back, brand new, for only $1700, plus tax. I got it from a new ATI dealer who planned on using it as a demo unit but didn't know it required a 20amp circuit and outlet. It was open box, but absolutely brand new. A few months ago, I bought my second 2505 for only $1250 used. It was newer than the one I already had and in perfect shape, so I bought it. If you decide to shop for an ATI amp, or have any questions about its' specs or operation, give Mike Pontelle, a VP at ATI a shout. He has been very helpful with answering my questions and for determining the age of an amp by its' serial number. If you buy one used, the ATI 7 year warranty is transferrable but make sure you run the serial number by Mike before you buy one.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Fred,

An alternative to your narrowed choices would be the Outlaw 750 or the upcoming 7 chan amp the 770-also by Outlaw. The 770 is has a higher watts per chan rating and may be more what you are wanting. I have the 750 and it is really nice for the money. I have it paired with the ATI 1502 and it works well together. I am just waiting for then new Outlaw preamp to come out. Good luck.

JoshK

Agent
Hey Fred,

A friend of mine just pointed out this thread to me. I am selling my ATI 1505 which is in mint condition, original boxing materials, 5 months old, never used at levels louder than 80db (live in apt), 6 1/2 years left under warranty. Etc. Etc. I am selling it because it does not make sense for me living in NYC in small apartments to do a real HT so I am going 2 chan only. I will sell for $1000 shipped. Let me know if you are interested. FWIW, I auditioned the parasound, the B&K (I have a B&K pro) and the ATI was far superior dynamically imo and ran much much cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks