What's new

5 channel amp in the $900-1400 (retail) range? I'm leaning toward Marantz. Others? (1 Viewer)

Dan_C

Agent
I'm adding a 5 channel external amp to my HT system specifically to power my PSB 9C an 6Ts (and leaving my 2 surrounds to my receiver's internal amps). The extra 2 channels are for some time in the future when I buy 2 more rears for a 7.1 system.

I've been thinking about the folllowing amps:

-Marantz MM-9000

-Rotel RMB-1075

-Acurus A125x5

Has anyone used one or more of these? Does anyone have any other suggestions in the $500-700 range (which translates to $900-$1500 retail). Thanks.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'd check the sales at onecall.com now and then too, sometimes you can get a great deal on some very nice gear.

TV

TomH

Second Unit
Ubid continually posts the Acurus A125x5 and the A200x5.

The 125 usually goes for $500-600 and the 200 for $800-900.

Factory new, double boxed with warranty.

Outstanding value.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
have you considered getting a higher quality used amp? amps are one thing that is ok IMO to buy used, so you could get a better performer if you looked around a little. Marantz and Rotel both make great amps, but if you were willing to go used, you could get something a little higher up for about the same cost.

Barrett

Auditioning
Dan_C,

Hopefully you've noticed a similar thread that is active in this forum right now, titled "I am ready to buy an amp!!! I need a few recomendations." Recommendations listed there include Anthem, Marantz, Outlaw, Parasound, and Rotel (including my own experience with the superb Rotel RB-985MkII, predecessor to the current RMB-1075), among others. Feel free to jump into the discussion there if you don't get more response to your own question here. Good luck!

george king

Supporting Actor
I have had the Rotel 1075 for about a month, and it is an amazing amp. Power, detail, reserves galore. It is like I have a whole new system. Further, it was just given the Gold Award for amps by SGHT.

Hope this helps.

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently heard the Rotel with the PSB's and they sounded very nice. Although I haven't heard the others I'm sold on the brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks