What's new

5.1 Mix on Super Bowl Halftime Show (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else feel that the 5.1 mix during the Rolling Stones halftime performance was horrific? The audience was mixed so loud in the surrounds that it overpowered the music (which I felt was mixed way too low). When I compared the 5.1 mix to the standard def mix on the regular ABC channel, the standard def mix sounded so much fuller.

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the 5.1 mix overall was horrific during the superbowl. Some of the ads (V For Vendetta, Posiden and M3) sounded great...but otherwise i thought the 5.1 mix for the entire game was terrible

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

It would have sounded better in 0.0. I think any mix of the Stones would be horrific. :wink:

Never much of a fan, I think they sounded muddy, stale and in high definition, looked like dusty, museum relics. The teens in the group I watched with were not impressed and commented on how out of date they seemed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I guess I should be grateful to be at a party with a standard def TV because the audio was okay for a 2-channel mix. I got home in time for the MVP/partying on ABC in HDTV, and the audio was so loud and annoying, had to pretty much mute that while waiting for Grey's Anatomy.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Yeah I was grateful the Stones where mixed down to almost zero. Made the whole show much more tollerable. Mick Jagger's flamboyent dancing, however, will be burned into my mind forever.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I thought the mix for the actual game was good as were (like you said) the movie commercials, but halftime really dropped the ball!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
No matter what you think of the Stones (and I haven't liked them since seeing them live in the 80s), I only PRAY that I can move like Mick does when I reach his age! Also, the sound was TERRIBLE!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
The Stones blow away any rock n' roll act on the planet, even if they are older than the Earth itself! Thank goodness they were the halftime show and it wasn't some combination Eminem/P. Diddy/Jay-Z/Kanye West/etc. like every other televised music performance these days.

As for teens commenting on their performance, they don't know jack s**t about music to begin with. :rolleyes

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

Your parents were saying the same thing about you when you were a teen listening to that rock and roll stuff. :wink:

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Chuck,

Maybe so, but it's just funny when people(especially teenagers who have grown up with Britney Spears, N Sync, Backstreet Boys, etc) bash what is arguably the greatest rock band of all-time just because they're old. Who cares? I've seen them in concert and they put on a better show than any band on the planet(with the possible exception of U2). I think the current state of music(especially rock n' roll) is the worst it has ever been and I'm glad the Stones are still out there kicking ass while the rest of the one-hit wonders fade into oblivion.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure all you Stones bashers will be able to move like Mick does when you're 62. And this show was nothing, only 15 minutes. Mick doing an entire 2-hour concert is incredible.

It's funny listening to all the over-weight, balding sports radio broadcasters this morning talking about the Stones being over the hill. Most of them are probably only in their forties and in worse shape than Keith.

Long live the Rolling Stones! The greatest rock and roll band in the world!

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Brent,

I am not sure it is bashing as much as just not connecting. Also, the teens I speak of hate the bands you mentioned even more.

Many bands of the Stones era do still connect more with teens today (Zepplin, Hendrix, Beatles), but more so because of the lure of their status as rock god's at the time. The Stones on the other hand, remind teens just how old a group they are and although Mick is in great shape, he is over three times the age of these listeners. Aerosmith on the other hand somehow seems to connect more, and yet Stevie also shows his age but has been more in the mainstream (movies, daughter).

Sometime maybe the past is best remembered in black and white archival footage....

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Matt,

I agree with you 100%. Seeing Mick prowl the stage for an entire 2 hour show is truly amazing. He has more energy than me and I'm half his age! :D

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
While I like the Stones stuff from about 1968-1972 that was their best period apart from a few songs in 64-66. Their setlist would've been better if they'd done something like:
1. Satisfaction
2. Honky Tonk Woman
3. Brown Sugar

"Start Me Up" isn't that great of a song, while it's alright it's not great. The new song they did was boring, and Satisfaction sounded like a parody of itself. On that note, when Keith and Ron would start to actually play some solo's they were good. While I will state that Mick can still move and whatever, his voice just isn't that good anymore.
Although the start of Ron's solo in Start Me Up was muted at the beginning you could barely hear but by the time the sound guy decided to bring Ron up in the mix it was a great solo. Overall the half time show wasn't as good as last year, I would rather have seen Paul McCartney again or U2.

Don't get me started on Aaron Nevile and Aretha Franklin doing the National Anthem, I couldn't stop laughing, what happened to Aretha she used to be so good? Now she just sings loud for the effect it seems. Aaron's more or less been the laughing of the music industry for a while now.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The mix was pretty bad and there was the very unsubtle boost of audience applause in the surrounds when the songs ended.

During the game sometimes the audience applause in the surrounds sounded like sizzling. I told everyone it was John Madden's burgers on the grill.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Remove Diddy from the mix, and that'd be a helluva good show! Better, by far, than the game itself.

And no small matter... at least Eminem is from Detroit. How sad that this for this game, possibly the greatest American sporting event, held in one of our most musically rich cities, the NFL decides to import from the UK an over-the-hill act that became famous for mimicking (some might say ripping off) the music of the American bluesmen and early rock-n-rollers.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

The applause in the surround rears was distracting and the sizzle sound you mentioned was annoying. I sometimes wonder if they should just use some canned surround crowd ambience, like from some XBOX games I have heard. At least it blends and sounds better.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Rich, but the last thing I need to sit through is another hip-hop performance at a sporting event or awards show. That's all you ever see these days and I'm so sick of it I want to puke! I applaud the NFL for using Paul McCartney last year and the Stones this year because it shows at least someone out there recognizes there are still a lot of people who prefer rock music over rap/hip-hop. While I would've preferred to hear Jumpin Jack Flash and Gimme Shelter, I guess they had to do one new song(Rough Justice) and the one Stones song I'm completely sick of hearing live(Start Me Up). Still, even though it wasn't a great 3 song setlist, I'm glad they were the halftime show instead of the same crap you'd see on the MTV Music Awards or the American Music Awards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks