What's new

4 ohm speakers - need separates or AVR or AVR with monoblocks?? (1 Viewer)

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering mains that are 4ohms w/ sensitivity in the 95/91 (room/anechoic)range. Would the Denon 3803, Elite 55 or Yammie 2400 drive these guys well - they are not rated for 4 ohms. Would I need to add a pair of monoblocks to these AVRs for the mains if I liked the other features they have? Or at that extra price point (AVR + blocks) would I still get better/cleaner power and enough features with the Outlaw 950/7100 or the Rotel products? I can't go above aprox $1600 for any of these options. What do you think?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What speakers?

For Rotel at that price point (for pre and amp), will you be looking used? You should be able hit that price just fine with Outlaw.

The NAD T762, and the newer T763 (when it hits the market) can handle 4 Ohm loads. NAD is also supposed to introduce a new pre and amp right at this price point.

Those speakers are fairly efficient, so it may not be a problem. I am running 3 GR Research A/V-2s across the front, which are 4 Ohm/91.5dB efficient, with a Marantz SR8300 (rated for 6 Ohm min), and I was concerned when ordering the speakers as well. So far it hasn't been a problem at all. I found a really good deal on a single MA500 mono (4 Ohm stable) that I am now powering the center with. I ran it initially without the mono, and it still wasn't a problem.

Separates and/or monos will give you the best and most output, but will also cost more.

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,
Well I guess Rotel, Anthem etc are all out of my price range new, but that really begs the question: will I get that much more with separates (Outlaw) in that range or would I get a better system with all the bells/whistles a 3803/Yammie 2400 would provide upfront with the possibility of adding a couple of amps later?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe you will be missing out on a few of the latest bells and whistles with the Outlaw 950 vs the newer receivers, but sound quality is supposed to be very good with the 950 too. So a $750-1000 receiver with external amps (possibly just a 2ch instead of monos) could give you the best of both worlds, but, yes, you can start with just the receiver to see if you really even need the amp(s).

You will need to specifically find out with each receiver, if a low impedence load will shut the receiver down, as some do and some don't. How many of the speakers will be 4 Ohm? If it won't be all of them, either of those receivers should be able to handle the load.

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input John, the speakers I was considering were the Axiom M80's for mains. They would be the only 4 ohm speakers in the 5.1 Epic 80 system that I was thinking of getting. I've never had/tried Nad equipment, but they are highly thought of, so I would like to see a set-up in my price range if they come out with one. How much do 2 channel amps run vs mono blocks? Anyone else got some ideas?

David Judah

Screenwriter
I don't think you can go wrong with the extra headroom a seperate amp/s can provide, but with efficient speakers in a smaller room you might not run into problems.

I'd say get the receiver you want based on your research and add amp/s if you run into a problem. You can check audiogon.com for used prices and you might even check the For Sale Forum here.

Good luck,

DJ

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A 2ch amp will tend to be a little less, depending on the manufacturer, since it typically shares a power supply for both channels, while monos obviously don't have to share, but you then have two power cords vs one (but the same number of interconnects).

Since it is just the mains, eventhough they are a larger speaker, I'd agree with David, try out the receiver by itself first.

Is this more for movies or music? Large room?

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for the input guys. The room is 24x24 with high open-beam ceilings, windows on one side, a large (12x8)opening on the other. Flooring is carpet and the couch would be located directly in front of TV/HTS (on front wall) about 10 feet from the back wall. The HTS will be used about 50/50 music/movies usually, and mainly for fairly loud music when the wife and kids are out and about! I've been looking at the Denon 3803, Yamaha 2400 and the Elite AVR's for a long time, but the Outlaw 950/7100 deal for $1600 seems like an awesome deal - perhaps too good to pass up as my entry into separates. I'm trying to compare literature to determine if there would really be that many 'bells & whistles' I'd be missing out on. Any comments on those????

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is a fairly large room, and unfortunately, it is square - not ideal for sound. Speaker placement and calibration will be key in this room. I would recommend not sitting perfectly centered in the room, but rather farther or nearer to the display, to avoid nulls from cancellation.

With a room that size, I'd probably opt for separates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks