1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New AVR for Polk LSi 9 and LSi 7 4 ohm Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Pandler, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Pandler

Pandler Auditioning

Glenn
    Hi All,

I need to replace my ailing Pioneer SC-1523 Receiver. My old LSi speaker system is 4 ohm. I am pulled between getting a Marantz 6013 with AB amps or the Pioneer SC-701 with Class D3 Amps. I have a sales person telling me I would be making a mistake by getting away from the Class D3 amps having the 4 ohm speakers. I just do not like the MACC Calibration on the Pioneer. The 701 has MACC Pro and may be better. I like the Audessey Cal used on my Onkyo in the Den which Marantz also uses. I live in north Florida and there are no experts except those I contact online. Just getting pulled and I really need to get this receiver that I am setting up with 4 Sony SCEC Atmos speakers.

Ant thoughts are appreciated

2. Message #2 of 6 Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Low sensitivity, low impedance speakers? You should be using an external amp, instead of the amps in any receiver. It'll make a big difference. How many speakers in the system? I would scale back on the cost of the receiver. Find one that has the features you want and pre-outs, and use the rest for a good amp for at least five of the channels. You can let the receiver power the rear or height channels, if you want.

3. Pandler

Pandler Auditioning

Glenn
    So your saying less power is ok? Right now LSi 9 front, Lsi 7 rear, Lsi C center, and Velodyn VPS-10 sub. I want to add the Atmos speakers.

4. JohnRice

John
    I’m saying use an external amp to power the speakers that is designed to power low impedance, low sensitivity speakers. I think it’s getting lost in translation.

5. Pandler

Pandler Auditioning

Glenn
    OK, I got it.. May have to up my budget for a good one, but I have been told this before. Impressed with Emotiva. I will reach out to them and see what they have. Thank you for the help.

6. JohnRice

John
    For a nice, powerful, but not too expensive 5 channel amp, the Emotiva A-5175 and the Outlaw 5000 are the two best values I know of.

I have a bunch of Emotiva, BTW.