36" TV w/Anamorphic squeeze?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CraigL, May 25, 2002.

1. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Hey all,

I was looking to purchase a 36" TV (preferably soon) that did anamorphic squeeze. Can anyone suggest a good model that they have had first-hand experience with? Anything under $1000?

Please let me know your opinions!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The "squeeze" in and of itself is not "anamorphic." One is merely collapsing the scanning-line raster into a 16:9 window to enable 16:9-encoded DVDs to output at full resolution. (Sorry, but that's my lecture for the day! [​IMG])
    Yes, you have plenty of options--thought at $1,000, you're looking more at the 32-inch variety.
    Take a look at the Sony WEGAs, as they all feature this capability from the user menus. You might be able to find a 36-inch model at a decent price if you shop around.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If your looking for a cheaper model than the Sony Wega's & don't care that the set doesn't have a flat tube checkout the 36 inch Samsung it can be had for around $600. Try doing a search on it because one of the members just got one & he paid under $600 for it. Samsung's will do the "Squeeze Trick" from the remote control or from the menu.