What's new

35' subwoofer speaker cable run, 1000 watts, what gauge? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I am going to order a ~1000 watt pro amp and ART 351 EQ to drive my JBL Pro dual 15" bass bin subwoofer. I fully expect there to be 1000 watt peaks under some circumstances. However, the cable run (NOT low-level subwoofer cable, but high-level speaker cable) is about 35' and I am wondering what the appropriate cable gauge to use would be?

Would just any normal 12 gauge work, or would I want to go with something closer to 8?

Thanks!

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I had around a 25 foot run of 12awg when I had my subwoofer being powered by a QSC RMX 1450 (1400w) and it worked just fine.

I doubt you would hear any increase in performance if you stepped up to 8awg, but it sure would look cool :D

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, and it would also be nice to know that you had some sufficient wire in the house - in the event your jumper cables didn't work either. :D :D

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Good read Rob, Paul W. Klipsch swore by zip cord, and a McIntosh guy doing the same really says something.

Thats why I bought a 100' roll of 12 AWG from Parts Express for 3, 25' runs.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Kenneth,

Why can't you put the amp closer to the sub and shorten the cable. You'll end up with a longer signal cable to the amp, but that should be negligable.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Seth:

Well, what would cause less signal loss? A 35' RCA sub cable, or a 35' speaker cable run?

Also, I would like to have all my gear on one rack, and one one good surge protector.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I'll go with a 35' signal cable for $100 Alex.

I'd use RG-59 with male F connectors on the ends and then RCA to female F connectors. Will have plenty of BW, low loss, and best of all it's cheap.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
It's only by the grace of God I knew BFD means Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Kinda like should I go with a FMIC or a TMIC for my I4 turbo. :D

Anyway, the price is right, but what is it and what does it do? I NEED NEED NEED a high pass, does it have one, if not, and sub-$150 pieces of EQ that have one?

Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Oh, we would have been happy to tell you what it was Kenneth, if that was the situation. We wouldn't leave you high and dry!

It's a digital parametric equalizer - low-end pro audio gear, but absolutely fabulous for fine-tuning a sub's response. To see how good it does, check out the before and after response charts on this thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=107127

As far as a filter goes, it's my understanding that tne BFD brick-walls at 20Hz (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Regards,
WayneA. Pflughaupt

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I actually need to be able to adjust it between 20 to 30 Hz. - the JBL does not go deep, but if I am listening at moderate levels, I can drop it to get some bass dirt, but if I crank it for fun, I need to bring it up to 30 Hz. or so to prevent bottoming out my woofers.

This is what I REALLY want:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/182711/

Remember, I am doing this because my Parts Express plate amp died and I am looking for a semi-cheap replacement, and a ~$300 amp and ~$100 EQ is what is good. Eventually, I will make or buy a sub that can get into the teens (and the Rane can go down to 10 Hz. for EQ-ing)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For full range EQing I'd take the Rane over the BFD anyday. But for sub EQing the Rane doesn't really offer any benefits over the BFD. It has fewer filters, no memories, and it's easy for someone to come along and turn a knob and screw up your settings. I wouldn't sweat the 10Hz "advantage" - I've never seen anyone who needed any EQing that low anyway.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
BFD doesn't have a built in x-over function... so it has no high pass.

You can simulate a low pass filter though, by simply adding a large/wide frequency cut at the desired cutoff frequency... but this may be of little use to you if you want to reduce the load to your mains.
Rob

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Rob:

I am really interested in having a on-the-fly hi pass adjustment, first, I don't know how the cabinet will act with a REAL amp and with a real EQ on it, so I don't know if I will have issues or not, but I know the ART will do what I want, and will smooth over any issues I might have, also, I know how to use the ART :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks