32" TV Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Leverett

Grip
Budget: up to $1000 (less is better :))
Uses for TV:
Watch DVDs
Watch cable TV
HT Setup:
Energy Take 2 Speaker System (8" woofer)
Pioneer DV 525 (non progressive scan)
Sony STR-DE 845 Receiver
Generic HiFi VCR
From what I have read in this forum, many people really like the Toshibas, yet I have no idea which one is good for me. Unfotunately, the forum will not allow me to do a search, so I cant reference model numbers I already looked at - says the server is too busy.
Could people please offer suggestions based on my spending limit, usage and HT system components?
Thanks in advance.
[Edited last by Leverett on September 19, 2001 at 05:27 PM]

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Leverett,
I was in your shoes a couple of months ago...shopping for a 32inch, fun stuff...
You didn't say whether you wanted flat screen or not.
Assuming you don't want flat screen I'd recommend a Toshiba 32A41, or the 32A61 if you want PIP. If I were you I'd step up to the 32AX60. You can check out the AX here: http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/32AX60.html
If you're going flat screen then I'd check out the Toshiba AFX series (flat screen). It's right at your price ceiling. I'd also would recommend a Sony 32FS13 or FS17. I have the FS13 and love it. No geometry or brightness problems that I have noticed. Some folks have had some problems with these two issues. Also, some say Sony's are over priced for what you get, but I tested several different brands and the Sony won me over. To each their own.
My use is similar to yours, TV and DVD's...the Sony really shines on anamorphic DVD's using squeeze feature in the user menu. When you see how sharp and clean the picture is, it's hard to go back. I was considering the Toshiba but this feature was important to me because I wanted to best DVD picture from the TV I was going to buy...don't we all?
Keep in mind that for the price of the 32" flat screen you can pick up a 36" Toshiba 36A41. I went back and forth between these two for what seemed like forever, but alas the Sony won in the end.
A tip: no matter which on you get, buy it from a local authorized dealer so that if anything goes wrong you can exchange it with minimal effort. And when I say minimal I mean versus trying to deal with an internet company on the phone or what have you to get them to repair it. These TV's weigh in at about 160 lbs. so the effort in lifting it is not minimal...
HTH,
Ed

Leverett

Grip
Thanks for the info, Ed. It was really helpful.
A flat screen would be great and I love the feature that Sony has with the line compression for anamorphic. Seems like it would be perfect for me. You have really sold me on the Sony, yet it seems a bit pricey. I understand the price increase is for the flat screen and the anamorphic compression feature...
Prices as I see it (from online sources):
Toshiba 32A41: $500
Toshiba 32A61: $600
Toshiba 32AX60: ~$750
Sony 32FS13: $1000
I think the Toshiba AFX series is above my price range, yet I will look into it,
I guess I'll look at them all in person at a local store and see which one makes me buy it :)
The Toshibas got excellent reviews. The Sonys seem to be hit or miss from certain review sites I have read. There seems to be that geometry problem you mentioned and some people complained about the anamorphic squeeze causing problems.
I may just go cheap and get the non flatscreen Toshiba with less bells and whistles.
Any further input regarding my investment is appreciated.

If one is on a strict budget, a little less money into the tv will allow extra for better video cables, progressive player, or anyother support equipment you may want after the main purchase, most of us who get into this find many other ways to tweak picture and sound besides just the set itself and having a little extra to spend can make the whole experience more enjoyable. Something to think about.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
I respectively disagree with Don, I think you should spend EVERYTHING you can on the TV, and worry about everything else later on. $200 makes a LOT of difference when it comes to screen real estate. A precious commodity.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I would look into the Link Removed set. I've got the previous generation model (CT-32SF36) and I'm VERY happy with it. In a 32" non-HD set, I believe the picture is about as good as you can get. I've had many people comment on how good the picture is. Be sure to get it calibrated with video essentials or similar (the out-of-the-box settings are horrible on the 32SF36, thus in-store demos will probably look horrible as well).
MSRP is $1100, but it can generally be had for around $900.
-Steve

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I also agree about putting the lion's share of one's funds (if limited) on the display. The 32-inch WEGAs are nice, but this is a dicey time to buy a TV now. The best best is to get something that's future-compatible--but that would most certainly cost more than a grand.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Leverett

Grip
I totally agree. Thats why I will probably get a non flat screen Toshiba 32A61 or the 32AX60 depending on pricing.
I will probably have to upgrade at least parts of my HT in a few years, so this tv will do fine for now - to last me 2 years or until HD is the standard...
Thanks to everyone for the assistance. I am going shopping for TVs today and when I get one, I will try and post back.
Thanks again.
----------------------------
I also agree about putting the lion's share of one's funds (if limited) on the display. The 32-inch WEGAs are nice, but this is a dicey time to buy a TV now. The best best is to get something that's future-compatible--but that would most certainly cost more than a grand.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Leverett -- I would definitely recommend getting the Sony WEGA KV-32FV27. I have none of the problems/errors that have been reported on these forums and the picture from Anamorphic DVDs is incredible. Everything else (yes...even the Panasonic Tau) in this price range pales in comparison after watching this set. :)
EDIT: BTW, I was able to price-match this set (using XtremeShopper.com) at Sears with a free stand for only $1167.97.
------------------
- Brian
My DVD Collection
Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
[Edited last by Brian Harnish on September 24, 2001 at 01:06 AM]

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
As already posted, Best Buy and Circuit City have the 32FS13 for $899.99 right now, but Circuit City also has a promotion for a free $50 gift card with the purchase of any 32 inch or larger TV. Although they wont let you apply that to the purchase of the TV, they will let you apply it to the purchase of the service contract, which is a very good idea in my opinion considering the weight of this damn thing. After getting it home, moving it into the house and up a flight of stairs and into the entertainment center, I NEVER want to have to move this thing again!!! In all after tax and the warranty, it was $1088.

Mike Minnick

Auditioning
I just bought a 32FS13 at Sears for $768 out the door. They had it stickered at $899, but I had them price match it at $759 plus 35 dollars shipping. They took off 10% for using my Sears card and after sales tax it came to $768. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, what are the first steps to a great picture?
------------------

Leverett

Grip
Could you please email me or post where you price matched for that price? Or will Sears price match any online retailer? I was under the impression that they only price matched certain online retailers.
I use Video Essentials to fine tune my HT. Other people use another software application called Avia (I think). VE is a DVD software solution and can be picked up here for under $20: http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink/647715071125IE
------------------------------------------
I just bought a 32FS13 at Sears for $768 out the door. They had it stickered at $899, but I had them price match it at $759 plus 35 dollars shipping. They took off 10% for using my Sears card and after sales tax it came to $768. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, what are the first steps to a great picture?

Mike Minnick

Auditioning
I price matched it with Sharper Digital, which I found through Pricescan.com. They matched it with no questions asked or verification, which seems kind of naive considering how easy it would be to change the price before printing it out :).

Leverett

Grip
Thanks for the info Mike. I am going to make good use of Photoshop tonite and see if I can get the price down to - oh - about $500
biggrin.gif

Joking.
I won't hold my breath, yet I'll check out Pricescan and give it a shot at the local Sears and see what happens. I'll repost when I have time to get the TV (I move into a new place on Monday - ugh).
$770 is just a bit more than I would pay for the Toshiba non flat screens!
Thanks again.
Leverett

Leverett

Grip
For those interested, the 32" Sony was just too large for my apartment and for what I needed. I see that now that I am all moved in. My eyes were too big for my apartment...
I AM interested in the KV-27FS17 - 27" model. It has a lot of features and will fit nicely in my space.
Features I like:
2-RF Inputs
Component Video Input
16:9 Enhanced Mode
I am assuming the 2 RF inputs will allow me to watch one channel and tape another while using a cable converter box. I was unable to do this with a single RF input on an older tv set.
Thanks in advance. This forum has been extremely helpful.

Leverett

Grip
Well I got the KV-27FS17 from Sears.
It was on sale for $619 which was a good price, yet I got a real bargain I think. I had them price match Sharper Digital's price of $575 (from Pricescan.com) and then I had a 10% coupon off for being new in the neighborhood. I bought a 3 year in home service contract and had it delivered to my apartment. Total price was $700. Not bad for a TV that retails for around $650. I figure I saved about $150 on the purchase and got all the features I want in a TV including the in home 3 year warranty.
The 32" would be nice, yet I may not be in this apartment for more than a year and I dont want to have to move a 165 pound bohemoth. Also $700 was well within my budget, so I could rationalize upgrading to a HDTV in 3 years. Well thats my story and I'm stickin to it! :)
I will post more when I get the home theater set up in a week or 2.
Thanks for all the assistance. This forum is a very valuable resource.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks