1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

32" HDTV question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Anthony Moore, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I have a 27" Sony trinitron right now (nonHD) and am in the market for an HDTV. So my eye has been on the Sony 32" H510 for around $1200.

But I went to Sam's Club and saw a 32" Samsing for well under $1000. I believe it was around $700. I didnt even know you could get HD's for under $1000 in 32".

Both are 4:3.

So my question is: Is the pic quality gonna be way better on the Sony? I love the picture on my present Sony.

But I was wondering, since the resolution was both 1080i, can it really be that big of a difference.

Any input would help...thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Why would it necessarily be "way better" than the Sony?

The Samsung direct-view sets are winning some praise around here, but the consensus is that Sony will have the upper hand when it comes to picture quality. Though the two sets support 1080i, it doesn't mean they will resolve all 1080 lines; no direct-view set can.

Too, the Sony may have better optics (consider the fact that not only does Sony make its own picture tubes, it makes the very glass itself) and electronics.

On the other hand, we have a vocal minority who thinks Sony is overpriced. I'm not one of them.

Take a favorite DVD to the store and try it with both the HS510 and the Samsung. Play with the picture-control settings until you get a relatively decent image. Select the set you prefer.