What's new

3-channel amps.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I see Parasound is not making any new 3-channel amps. I bought a used HCA-1203a 3-channel Parasound amp a few years ago. I think I had some bad wiring cause one of the channels died a few months ago. I replaced the DIY wiring with my old Monster cable and had the amp fixed for a fairly costly fee (mostly labor). Now another channel is on the fritz and I really don't want to put more money into the thing and was basically reassessing my HT needs. Honestly, I use my system more for audio than for HT and it might be overkill for me to spend $$$ on a 3-channel amp like a Parasound for something that is not used as much nor do I give much priority for the HT side of my system. But seeing that Parasound is not even making 3 channel amps anymore, what companies make them anymore? I'm trying to avoid going used cause of the lack of a warrentee.
My audio system consists of a
Meridian 506.20 CDP
Bryston 3BST stereo amp
Parasound PSP1500 preamp
(with P/DD1500 DD processor)
Thanks!
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
B&K makes a couple of 3 channel amps. The cheaper one, the ST3140 retails for about $800 but you should be able to do better. And B&K has 5 years manufacturer's warranty.

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Even if you do not want to do some Parasound again and also do not want to buy a used one, I can only recommend the HCA 2003. I think it will be hard to find more power and sweet sound for the money, because for about 600 - 800 $ used, they are yours.
------------------

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
For the money, I don't think you can beat Acurus. There is the older 200x3, and the updated A200x3. Because Klipsch just bought Mondial Designs, who is the umbrella company above Acurus and Aragon, you can now get really sweet deals on these. Check out ebay and ubid.
A review in Audio magazine a while back, pegged the 200x3's output at 315W into 8 ohms, and 515W into 4 ohms per channel (constant line voltage maintained). "200" x 3 indeed!
I have two of the 200x3's for a 6.1 setup. Very nice sounding set up.
------------------

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
"B&K makes a couple of 3 channel amps. The cheaper one, the ST3140 retails for about $800 but you should be able to do better. And B&K has 5 years manufacturer's warranty."
There is the reference model, 3220 for about $1400 discounted. Not cheap, but a big step above the 3140. A good solid component for Home Theater as well a 2 ch. listening.

John Gates

Second Unit
Not a 3-channel amp per-se, but you could check out the new nOrh Le Amp. It's a mono-block, but supposedly of extremely high quality. Should perform as well or better than the nOrh Multiamp (check out audioreview.com for a few reviews on the Multiamp).
You can read about the Le Amp at http://www.norh.com/news.html. Pictures there also. Pricing, I believe, is about $500 per pair, and you can pick up a 3rd for $250 more. These amps are built to compete with Plinus, etc, so for $750, you might be hard-pressed to beat the quality.
This is a new product from nOrh, and they just began shipping this week. If you can wait a couple weeks, you might get some real-customer reviews.
I have not yet ordered these myself, but 3 Le Amps (Les Amp?) and probably the nOrh ACA are next on my list of upgrades.
Good luck, and happy hunting!
John
------------------

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks for the advice, but like I mentioned in my original post, I'm not really looking to spend the bucks ($$$) for it, certainly not more than $1000 which is what I paid for my 3BST (very slightly used). Does anybody other than Bryston transfer their warrentees to people who buy used? Maybe I can find a used Bryston 3 channel amp....
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Jay- I have seen brand new A200x3 amps by Acurus on ubid over the past week for $600. Ebay has 2 listed right now too.
(I know, because I am in the process of switching from the 2 200x3's that I have now, to 2 A200x3's. Upgradeitis.)
Bryston makes a great amp too, though!
------------------

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Kevin, are you selling your current 200X3s? I may be looking for another to add to my set-up of one 200X3 and one A250. Let me know if you sell.
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks