What's new

21st Century Fox Studio Sold To Disney! Sale Finalized See Post #368 (6 Viewers)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Kino has also been putting out Fox titles in addition to Disney's Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures movies. If it's more worthwhile for the smaller companies to handle catalog titles and we get more of them as a result, then that's a good thing- except that the sound on a few Kino discs was messed up.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]So if the TT contracts for Fox owned titles are expired or almost expired, then it will probably be pretty much a new "blank slate" with Disney. Whether the Disney home video division chooses to further cultivate a formal relationship with TT, is completely unknown at this point.
I truly do hope that Disney does decide to cultivate a relationship.
No doubt, with Twilight Time's in-depth knowledge of the 20th Century-Fox library, I can not imagine a better usher, custodian and mentor for an already established clientele.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
At CinemaCon, Disney apparently said they will continue to make films in the Alien, Apes, Kingsman, Avatar and Maze Runner series, according to tweets from the events. #CinemaCon. There is no word on whether an Alien movie would continue Ridley Scott's recent films or be something different. (Personally, I'd like to see Neil Blomkamp and Sigourney Weaver's sequel to Aliens.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

PM Lucci

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
At CinemaCon, Disney apparently said they will continue to make films in the Alien, Apes, Kingsman, Avatar and Maze Runner series, according to tweets from the events. #CinemaCon. There is no word on whether an Alien movie would continue Ridley Scott's recent films or be something different. (Personally, I'd like to see Neil Blomkamp and Sigourney Weaver's sequel to Aliens.)

The Igor-ization of FOX begins.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Australia is giving Marvel $24 million (over $17 million in USD) to shoot an as-yet unannounced Marvel movie at Fox Studios Australia, in Sydney.

Somehow I never realized that the Fox acquisition left Disney with a 32-acre movie studio with eight sound stages in Australia. I wonder how this will affect Pinewood Atlanta, which has seen a ton of Marvel productions since it opened.
They also own, I think, Fox Baja in Mexico where James Cameron shot most of Titanic and where Master and Commander were filmed.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Because they weren’t planning on any of those things to begin with? Sounds like Disney is merely confirming that they will be continuing with Fox’s existing franchises.

Believe what you want. AFAIAC, the very fact the first thing they do is confirm confirm continued support of busted franchises is signal that the FOX focus will be on generating franchises the same as Disney under Iger.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Busted? The Apes reboot series has been a tremendous critical success in addition to being box office hits. Kingsmen has similarly been critically acclaimed and successful with audiences. Avatar is the top grossing film of all time, with four sequels underway long before the idea of Fox being sold was ever discussed. Ridley Scott has been on record discussing for years his plans to make more Alien films. Maze Runner is popular with teen audiences.

It’s not crazy that Fox’s new owner wants to assure fans of the films Fox produces that they won’t be ignored.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Believe what you want. AFAIAC, the very fact the first thing they do is confirm confirm continued support of busted franchises is signal that the FOX focus will be on generating franchises the same as Disney under Iger.
The movie business in general is focused on generating franchises. The success of that strategy is one of the reasons Disney was in a position to gobble up 20th Century Fox.

There are things I like about Disney and things I don't like about Disney. I don't love that two of the Big Six are now owned by the same corporation. But it seems like you're upset with Iger for doing exactly what he's supposed to do: Generate the maximum value for shareholders. This is a publicly traded corporation, not a boutique outfit like United Artists used to be.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can understand Edwin's hatred of Iger as that has been a growing sentiment for years now, but he lost me with the rest of his anti-Disney argument.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that's probably for the best. I think those characters could really use a rest, and those franchises will need some fresh blood behind the scenes as well. I never want to see Simon Kinberg's name attached to anything again; I know I won't get that wish, but I think it's unlikely that Kevin Feige would be interested in hiring the man who wrote "X-Men: The Last Stand," is poised to screw up the same story again with "Dark Phoenix," and who holds the material in such poor regard that he demands credits on these projects read as "A Kinberg Genre Production" rather than the industry standard "A Simon Kinberg Production." (He takes that credit on other material not related to comic books, sci-fi and fantasy, indicating that he is a genre snob.)

The X-Men were my favorite comic series when I was a kid, but I'm kinda burnt out on them after nearly two decades of uneven and inconsistent adaptations.

I also wonder how you fit them into the MCU. World War II, for instance, is hugely important to Magneto's character history, but WWII is now so far in the rear view mirror that it'll be difficult to fit that character into the MCU present day chronology given the age he would have to be. And it also seems unlikely that mutants exist in the world of the MCU, given what we've seen over the past 22 films. So I'm not sure how they're going to reconcile that.

I would almost prefer for X-Men to remain their own property, but to be managed much better when it is finally brought back to the big screen by Marvel.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
We will likely see most, if not all, of Fox's X-Men related lineup in the meantime.

The only thing in Fox’s X lineup is Dark Phoenix, which comes out in June, and New Mutants, which may be released theatrically later in the summer or possibly could go right to streaming (though the latest world is it will probably get a theatrical release).

That’s it. There is nothing else in their lineup involving X-Men related characters. Anything that hasn’t gone into production isn’t going to be made unless it is made by Marvel Studios.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks