What's new

2020 OS upgrades: iOS 14, iPadOS 14, WatchOS 7, Big Sur (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Has anyone installed iOS 14 on their current device yet?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Yes, and it works beautifully.

I have been running it since Beta 1 and it has been the best-running beta that Apple has released. It had very little bugs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not yet. I’m waiting a little bit for iPhone, iPad, watch. Let developers get apps updated, bugs fixed. Maybe until 14.0.1 is out. The lousy iOS 13 experience plus #2020 makes me more cautious.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Yeah, I let my 7 plus update overnight and I updated my series 4 watch today and all four TVs to the current OS’s today. iOS14 works fine. The App Library is as useless as I thought it looked in reviews and I had to disable “Private Address” in my WiFi settings because it causes more problems than it fixes. Overall, a solid update so far.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Updating as we speak, both my iPad and iPhone. AppleTV successfully updated. (Posting from the old iPad that has been running the betas all long )

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I know there’s going to be and there is a lot of video reviews of the Apple Watch Series 6 and SE.

I happen to catch this review from CNET and while it’s a very early review, as the reviewer only just got one each the Series 6 and an SE, I found a few of things tested very interesting. She compared the accuracy of the pulse oximeter with a real pulse oximeter she uses. I was very interested in that comparison.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
14.0.1 is out. So I’ve updated my iPad. Minimal changes, which I recall from WWDC that the iPad got little improvements in 14.

will do iPhone this evening.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPhone upgraded.

I guess this is what 13 years of iOS looks like: a mature operating system with minimal changes year after year. Theres the App Library. The mini-notification for phone calls and Siri are nice. And...that’s about it that I see after an hour of fiddling and launching apps.

Not bad. But not seeing anything that really matters or changes the experience.

I need to go find the articles on iOS 14 from the past few months and see what I’m missing.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
One of the new privacy features is WiFi private addressing that changes your device’s MAC address for every WiFi network you join to prevent cross-network tracking. It sounds good in theory but in reality, it just causes a headache because the WiFi networks at my work don’t allow private MAC addressing and will block my iPhone and Watch from joining. My eero network at home also kept misbehaving so I just keep the feature turned off and everything works as it should now.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
To me, the App Library is a mess. On the surface, it looks cool but whoever decided which apps should go into which category is a loon. Folders are much better and more customizable. App stacks requires too much scrolling for my taste. I set up a few custom widgets for my Home Screen, put my most used apps below them, and reorganized everything else into properly named folders on the 2nd page.

424AC9DE-E21D-47F1-AD99-6AE1C9D22EAA.jpeg

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
One more thing then I’ll be quiet and go watch the newest episode of The Boys... the 20-second hand washing timer for WatchOS 7 is nice. You have to turn it on in the watch app first, since it’s disabled by default.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One more thing then I’ll be quiet and go watch the newest episode of The Boys... the 20-second hand washing timer for WatchOS 7 is nice. You have to turn it on in the watch app first, since it’s disabled by default.

It is nice, but it doesn't kick in right away. From my experience, I lose a good couple of seconds before the watch recognizes the water and hand rubbing.

I'll comment on THE BOYS in another thread if it exists on HTF

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Seems like its time for a new-os thread. I'm trying to figure out these new widgets stomping around my home screen. I've broken a year or two of muscle memory tapping app icons, and it's really confusing. But, I'll give it a go and see if these work for me. I'm not sure they make life easier for me, for my particular patterns of life. But I want to play with new tech things, so here goes.

IMG_4450.png IMG_4449.png

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Those screens look good, Dave.

One day, perhaps, we'll have more flexibility with widgets.

I am floored that you can't do this on iPad OS. What's the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks