What's new

2007 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

Exactly. Which is why Mann gets huge budgets, even though no one sees his stuff in theatres. By now, everybody's seen Last of the Mohicans, most everyone's seen Heat, and people are getting around to the Insider. It's the way it works.

Fincher's already in production for his next film, which has a starting budget of $150 million.

Regards,
Nathan

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Kind of thought #23 would be doing better. This is a case where Jim Carrey does need really good material in order for a dramatic film to be good. Eternal Sunshine had several positive factors working for it too. Big Jim Carrey fan though & too bad this one's not finding an audience.

Norbit had the least drop off in the group! Wow. :eek:

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The secret to Fincher's success is that his films are hugely popular on home video. That's where they really make their money. Of the six features he's directed, only two of them were big studio hits ("Seven" and "Panic Room"), but all (which will likely include "Zodiac" when it hits shelves later this year) were big hits on DVD.

Of the nine films that Michael Mann helmed, three of them were big hits ("The Last of the Mohicans", "Heat", and "Collateral"), but like Fincher, Mann's films have proven to be hugely popular on home video. Not mention all the "cred" he got for creating "Miami Vice" in the mid-'80s (the first two season sets did very well on home video as well).

What both directors also have in common is that big stars all want to work with them. As long as their movies continue to do big numbers on DVD, as well as the fact that most Hollywood A-listers have them on their "most wanted" lists, Fincher and Mann will continue to pump out big studio movies with big studio budgets.

See, sometimes it does pay to be a fave of the critics, as well as having a (VERY loyal) cult following.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
300 looks like a movie that I will either like or absolutely despise. But you can bet that I will see it, which means $$ for the studio. The visual style (and the underlying story) are just too tempting.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
re: fincher, which is why i suggested going straight to DVD (or the HD versions) instead of stopping by cinema. what's the purpose of cinema again? oh right, advertisement for the DVD's :laugh:

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup:

Sadly, that's pretty much what theatrical showings are nowadays considering that the studios earn their biggest coin from DVD sales (not to mention how big the overseas market has become in recent years). While everyone here loves the movie-going experience, the first thing a lot of us are usually thinking when we're walking out of a movie is what the DVD is going to be like.

That, or how much money its going to make during opening weekend. ;)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
not me =). first thing that i think of when i walk out of a great movie is if i have enough time to line back up at the ticket counter and watch it again =D.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The last time I felt compelled enough to jump back into line to see a movie I'd just come out of was "Batman Begins". As a lifelong fan of the Dark Knight I was completely blown away by it. It was the Batman flick I'd always wanted to see. It took WB five times, but they finally got it right.

This is why "The Dark Knight" is easily my most anticipated title of '08.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The Dark Knight is mine as well, and 2008 already looks strong. It has Bond and Indiana Jones as well, so it's a year of major hero sequels. But I am most excited for Nolan's work.

Take care,
Chuck

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
After seeing "Memento" and "Insomnia", I thought Nolan was an inspired choice by WB. Turns out Nolan was the perfect guy for the job. I loved his work on "The Prestige" and I think "The Dark Knight" could be even better than BB was.

As for '08, there's a lot of potential for a monster year for moviegoers. Even with a fourth Indiana Jones, a new Bond flick, the sixth Harry Potter adventure, 'Prince Caspian', "Iron Man", "The Day the Earth Stood Still" remake, a new Hulk, Steve Carrell in "Get Smart", "Wall-E", Benicio del Toro as "The Wolf Man", the third Mummy movie, 'Hellboy 2', and J.J. Abrams' Star Trek prequel, the top movie on my radar is "The Dark Knight".

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
It's hard for me to say which film I'm more excited for when it comes to The Dark Knight and Indy IV. All I can say is next May and June are going to be pure viewing bliss.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I'm more excited for Dark Knight right now. That could change if I like what I see from Indy IV. You know things will start to get crazy once we start to see pictures of the set, costumes, etc.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Dark Knight for sure...but I am probably most excited for Narnia 2 (Prince Caspian) from Terry's 2008 release list. Get Smart has the potential. Time will tell.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
didn't like batman beings =(.

indy is a maybe. just looking forward to somn NEW instead of sequels. i'd love to see another matrix or star wars saga. hopefully SOMEONE IS MAKING ONE! =).

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
Star Wars film saga is 100% over, not coming back in theaters other than potential re-releases of I-VI.

As for Matrix? I doubt it as set in stone as being dead as Star Wars but I'd be very shocked if a fourth one was ever made.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
To add to the 2007 list, I am crossing my fingers that the two King movies turn out well. First up is 1408 and then in November, my all time favourite King short story - The Mist directed by Frank Darabont. I have waited a long time for this puppy to come to the silver screen.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Not to put words in his mouth, but I think he's talking about a brand new franchise with the same sort of impact as we saw with SW and The Matrix.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
INDY IV has me very excited, but I'm definitely even more excited for THE DARK KNIGHT. It will be a repeat of 1989-a Batman movie and an Indy movie for the summer. It just doesn't get any better than that!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i hate it when i don't complete my thoughts on sentences i post :laugh:

what i wanted to say originally is that i want another series like matrix/lotr/sw that attacts large # of audiences into the theatre. it's always fun to watch fun movies (like 300) in a theatre pack full of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks