What's new

2003 S&V reviewers choice winner...Kenwood VR-7080 (1 Viewer)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Here's a link to the Sound & Vision review of the Kenwood 6070...

KENWOOD 6070

from the 6070 review:

I think that it's odd that one of the negative points on the 6070 was one of the HIGH POINTS for the newer model(?).

IMO I think that the 6070 is a better receiver with a better remote.

Brad-F

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if this 6070 you speak of is the same beast as the KRF-V6070D-S that is on Kenwood's Australian site.

wwwkenwood.com.au/home3.asp?gid=2&cid=34&pid=452

PS - Put a . after the www bit. (I have not yet made 15 posts so I am not allowed to post URLs in my messages)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I have a 6070 and I was expecting the 7080 to be at least as good. Whatever the reason for the low 5 channel simultaneous rating of 35 watts versus the 6 channel simultaneous rating of 92 watts, it is disappointing to see this apparent decline.

I must say though, the 92 X 6 simultaneous rating of a 22 pound receiver made me wonder how Kenwood pulled this trick off. In any case, the sound quality is quite high compared to my 70 pound separate amp.

Artie

Drew_W

Screenwriter
To be honest, the 7070/7080 is very nice, a friend has a 7070 driving an Infinity system. The only *huge* gripe I have about it is that it looks like shit. This cheap silver glittery front reminds me of $5 electronics you can buy at Radio Shack. The volume control even feels cheap and rickety. The actual display is pretty awful too, but not as bad as that cheap plastic front. I'm sure a small investment in some new aesthetics would go a long way.

Edit: I just looked at the picture in the S&V review. It would look *ok* if I didn't know that all that stuff they make to look like metal actually was cheap plastic. If they made the front out of brushed aluminum with real metal drawknobs, that would be quite something. And it's not unheard of either.

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
Drew:

The front is Aluminum and so is the volume knob on both the 7080 and 7070. The VR-707 uses a plastic face and probably volume knob as well in that case.
In the 2 page review in the S&V they actually complemented on the quality of the Volume knob used on the 7080.

I looks like next year they are bringing black receivers back in the picture. Thank goodness.

Rick

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
After my previous experience with Kenwood receivers, I simply will never consider buying another one. My experience is that Kenwood build quality is...well...quite poor. Anyone looking to buy a Kenwood 1080VR with a bad internal grounding problem - please contact me!

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have the 6070 and couldn't be happier. For the price I don't think that it can be beat.

I agree that the silver 7080/7070 models do look CHEAP.

I'm still amazed how the VR-708 got a better review(?)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks