What's new

2002 Pennsylvania Film Festival (1 Viewer)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
My neck of the woods enters the 20th Century this week. Here are the details from the one of the local weeklies.
THE 2002 PENNSYLVANIA FILM FESTIVAL
October 16-20, 2002
Films will be screened at the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts in Wilkes-Barre [Public Square], the Dietrich Theater in Tunkhannock, and on the fourth floor of the Scranton Cultural Center. Many of the films that the Festival will screen have not yet been rated. Where a film has not yet been rated, we have provided an estimate for your assistance. For additional information see Link Removed The schedule is subject to change.
Wenesday, October 16
F.M. Kirby Center
1 P.M. My Voyage to Italy
Martin Scorsese (2001, US/Italy, 246 minutes, PG-13).
7:15 P.M. How Harry Became a Tree
Goran Paskaljevic (2001, France/Ireland/UK/Italy, 100 minutes, merits PG-13).
9:15 P.M. Baran
Majid Majidi (2001, Iran, 94 minutes, PG).
Thursday, October 17
F.M. Kirby Center
*2 P.M. Nights of Cabiria
Federico Fellini (1957, Italy, 117 minutes, PG).
*4:30 P.M. The Son's Room
Nanni Moretti (2001, Italy, 99 minutes, R).
*7 P.M. Bicycle Thieves
Vittorio De Sica (1948, Italy, 93 minutes, merits PG).
*9 P.M. Warm Water Under a Red Bridge
Shohei Imamura (2001, Japan, 119 minutes, merits R).
Friday, October 18
F.M. Kirby Center
NOON The One Dollar Diary
Dominic J. DeJoseph (2001, US, 94 minutes, merits PG).
2 P.M. Umberto D.
Vittorio De Sica (1952, Italy, 91 minutes, merits PG-13).
*4 P.M. The Lady and the Duke
Eric Rohmer (2001, France, 125 minutes, PG-13).
7 P.M. Real Women Have Curves
Patricia Cardoso (2002, US, 90 minutes, PG-13).
*9 P.M. Dogme 25: Converging With Angels
Michael Sorenson (2002, US/Denmark, 162 minutes, merits R).
United States Premiere
Saturday, October 19
F.M. Kirby Center
11 A.M. Dogtown and Z-Boys
Stacy Peralta (2001, US, 89 minutes, PG-13).
Dietrich Theater
3 P.M. Special Audience Favorite Screening
(Film TBA.)
Scranton Cultural Center
Fourth Floor
[The films showing in Scranton are shorts by local filmmakers]
10 A.M. Hit or Miss
Paul Willistein (2002, Allentown, 65 minutes, merits PG).
11:30 A.M. Secret Agent Bob
John Morris and Bob Daniher (2002, Scranton, 50 minutes, merits PG).
12:40 P.M. Manifesto
Shannon Keith (2002, Scranton, 25 minutes, merits PG).
1:20 P.M. Schmendrick's 5
Ted Geltner, Rich Banick and Eric Toffey (2002, Scranton,
43 minutes, merits PG).
2:20 P.M. The Hotel Casey - The Perfect Hotel
3:30 P.M Stories from the Mines
Greg Matkosky and Thom Curra, (2002, Scranton, 57 minutes, merits PG).
5:00 P.M. A Program of Shorts, 60 minutes: Times Square, Muriel Magenta. Bad Hitman, Jim Reifler and Jesse Campion. Profile, Nasir Khan and Waqas Chaudhry. Trust, Byron Karabatsos. Where is the Room?, Somali Gulati. A Touch of Tutelage Thea St. Omer.
6:20 P.M. Shorts and Mock Docs, 70 minutes: Temple Street Blues, Ari Palitz. Legalized in America, Michael Ball. Target Audience, David Kittredge. In the Red, Lucy Weismann. All Amateur Ecstasy, Greg Pack. Cat Fight Tonight, Greg Pack. Tool, Tx., Chad Bendele.
7:30 P.M. Fading
Michael Yurinko and Zeke Zelker (2002, Allentown 76 minutes, merits R).
9 P.M. Paradox Lake
Przemyslaw Reut (2002, Poland/US, 85 minutes, merits PG-13).
Sunday, October 20
F.M. Kirby Center
1 P.M. Don't Look Back
D.A. Pennebaker (1967, US, 96 minutes, merits PG-13).
3 P.M. Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders from Mars
D.A. Pennebaker (1973, US, 96 minutes, PG).
5 P.M. Only the Strong Survive
D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus (2002, US, 95 minutes, PG).
*8 P.M. All About Lily Chou-Chou
Shunji Iwai (2001, Japan, 146 minutes, R).
Ticket Prices
INDIVIDUAL TICKETS, Adults: Weekday matinee screenings - $5; Weeend matinee screenings - $6; Evening screenings (after 6PM) - $7.50.
INDIVIDUAL TICKETS, Seniors (65 and older): Weekday matinee screenings - $4; Weeend matinee screenings - $5; Evening screenings (after 6PM) - $6.50.
TICKET PACKAGES apply to all films, matinee and evening: Adults 5 tickets $25; Seniors 5 tickets $20.
I don't think there are many HTF members who live here in Northeast, Pa., but if so, I hope to see you there. I'll be attending the films noted with an asterisk.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
A rather odd list of films; some of the ones listed (The Son's Room, Dogtown and Z-Boys, Baran, etc) are already on DVD. But there's some great looking classics here, and my favorite film of 2002 to date is also playing:

*8 P.M. All About Lily Chou-Chou
Shunji Iwai (2001, Japan, 146 minutes, R).
By ALL means, see this screening.

Jason

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think there are many HTF members who live here in Northeast, Pa., but if so, I hope to see you there
(raises hand)

My work schedule pretty much wipes out the vast majority of the showings, but 'All About Lily Chou-Chou' comes highly reccomended and fits into my schedule, and heck, I'm right acros the river...

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Aw, man! Scranton is my home town! Too bad this is happening in the middle of the week or else I'd consider it. :frowning:
"We're goin' up da Eynon
to get a cup o' cahfee
and maybe eat a sangwich.
Da heyna family."

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My parents live not far from the Dietrich Theater. As a matter of fact, when they did their renovations a few years ago, I managed to snag some of their old seats, which are will be going in my basement, once I get a house with a basement :)
Great little theater.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Several of these films played at the 2001 NY Film Festival, for the most part the list is a 6 to 18 months old.
There any number of films worth seeing, if you still haven't caught them, and I certainly second the recommendation for All About Lily Chou-Chou.
Ted

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Hey, John Wielgosz, I had no idea anyone here lived as close as Kingston! The lush, green suburb of Plymouth is my home, with the world's largest per capita number of taverns, furniture stores, churches, and funeral homes.
John Berger, forget the sangwich, youse come up and we'll head down to the bazaar for some potatah pancakes and halushki. (Yech! I'm originally from Maryland and the local cuisine is still alien to me.)
I've already bought by ticket for Lily Chou-Chou and nothing will keep me from going.

Pascal A

Second Unit
All About Lily Chou-Chou was my 9th pick for 2001 in the Senses of Cinema's Year End Poll; it has the multilayered depth of Iwai's earlier film Swallowtail Butterfly, but more distilled and concentrated. Great film.
How about Patricia Cardoso's Real Women Have Curves? It's a fairly easy-going film, but a fun and engaging film nonetheless.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Donald- have you already seen My Voyage to Italy? I saw it at the Seattle International Film Festival a few months ago, and was very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks