What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey is a 4K/UHD Release possible? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just because "2001" has not been prepared for IMAX exhibition doesn't mean it couldn't be. There were rumors of such a thing several years ago. Any film can go through the IMAX DMR process to have IMAX DCPs or 15/70 prints made.

Warner did just that with The Wizard Of Oz in 2013; Warner has a good working relationship with the IMAX Corporation.

Right now, IMAX had the largest screens in the world. Even though 2001 would not take advantage of their full height (a claim very few Hollywood films can make), the IMAX theater near me has a signicantly wider screen than the one at the Museum of the Moving Image. While it's disappointing that there aren't a plethora of Cinerama screens and a plethora of single screen theaters with large auditoriums remaining in use today, IMAX has some of the world's largest screens and I'd be happy to see 2001 on one of them.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Based on the 70mm presentation of The Hateful Eight at the Regal on 42nd Street, that's where you want to see these things -- providing the right person is in the booth...

...even if nothing could erase my memories of 2001 on at least three Cinerama screens. But second best would be splendid.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Regal had great projection for Hateful Eight. Unfortunately, they didn't use any masking, and the screen was still multiplex size. "2001" was meant for something larger than auditorium #12 at a giant multiplex.

That's one reason why, for example, I'm opting to see Dunkirk at Lincoln Square IMAX instead of Regal's 70mm. Size matters. Good projection is hugely important but it the screen isn't large enough to reveal the nuances that 70mm can deliver, it seems to be missing the point a little.

I'll see 2001 just about anywhere but am (as you can see) nitpicky about what I'd consider an ideal presentation. I will likely never see an ideal presentation of 2001 in my lifetime.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Interesting! I appreciate the offer to visit Josh, really, but L.A. is a LOT closer to me. I may just have to ferret out one of these screenings and take the cheapo flight just to see it. I've never had the privilege of watching 2001 in a theater. Must be quite a treat!
I would say that if you haven't seen 2001 in 70mm, you've never really seen it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree, but at least I'm not lonely. I'm sure that 99.9999% of the moviegoing population is in the same boat.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I just remembered that I have 2001 on HD-DVD and am thinking about watching that in the next few days. So I am wondering what is the best presentation of 2001? Is it the former HD-DVD or the current BD release?

41PdEU1aYqL._SX342_.jpg

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Just because "2001" has not been prepared for IMAX exhibition doesn't mean it couldn't be. There were rumors of such a thing several years ago. Any film can go through the IMAX DMR process to have IMAX DCPs or 15/70 prints made.

Warner did just that with The Wizard Of Oz in 2013; Warner has a good working relationship with the IMAX Corporation.

Right now, IMAX had the largest screens in the world. Even though 2001 would not take advantage of their full height (a claim very few Hollywood films can make), the IMAX theater near me has a signicantly wider screen than the one at the Museum of the Moving Image. While it's disappointing that there aren't a plethora of Cinerama screens and a plethora of single screen theaters with large auditoriums remaining in use today, IMAX has some of the world's largest screens and I'd be happy to see 2001 on one of them.

You are right when you said that IMAX "HAD" the largest screens in the world. Now most of them are in multiplexes and are very,very small compared with what the original IMAX concept was. I hate IMAX as it is the wrong shape for seeing films.Give me 70mm any day.Digital Imax is even worse.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

What might be gained by taking 2001 to 70/15?

The film is 70/5.

No problem simply running it on an IMAX screen in 70/5.

It's simply the resolution, size and quality of the projected image.

A friend had a sequence from Aurens run for me on the Jumbotron at the Jays stadium in Toronto, Big, but low Rez.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What might be gained by taking 2001 to 70/15?

The film is 70/5.

No problem simply running it on an IMAX screen in 70/5.

Depending on the booth setup, they may not be equipped to run as 70/5. So I guess the answer to that would be, compatibility. But with most film-equipped IMAX theaters mothballing their projectors in recent years, even that isn't likely to be practical. If 2001 were ever released in IMAX at this point, I'd imagine it would be strictly DCP via their xenon and laser digital systems.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Its been said that rumors repeated enough become the truth; let's keep planting those seeds of thought and maybe someone just might begin the process. After all, this would not be a mean or destructive rumor but, rather, a rumor leading to restoration. Just a thought.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That sounds like a good plan Philip. I'll try the same for Star Trek The Motion Picture.
TMP has already been released on bluray.

I think you want the Directors Cut (ie the script as it was shot, not what they had to cobble together after the SFX shots were not able to be delivered on time ...) :cool:

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
(ie the script as it was shot, not what they had to cobble together after the SFX shots were not able to be delivered on time ...) :cool:

Having gathered a significant collection of almost all of the shooting script revisions for TMP in my collection, this is incorrect. The theatrical version is also representative of the script.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Having gathered a significant collection of almost all of the shooting script revisions for TMP in my collection, this is incorrect. The theatrical version is also representative of the script.

Well, it seems they left out scenes and dialogue from the theatrical, so maybe not so representative?

Personally, I always felt that TMP was more of a spiritual successor to 2001 than Hyams' 2010 ever was.

Carl J.

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl A. Johnson
I only saw 2001 in the three-projector Cinerama process one time, at the Summit Theatre in downtown Detroit in May 1968. My parents walked out of the theatre going ""Huh??"". But, little Carl walked out of that same theater going ""Yes, YES, YES!!!!!!"". I still remember how that gigantic curved screen gave you the spooky feeling that you were floating in deep space as the AE-35 unit was being serviced outside the pod. It was an incredible sensation and I never forgot it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks