What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey (1 Viewer)

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Jack : Oddly enough, my father felt that faces of death and Fluci's masterpiece, The Gates of Hell, were far better viewing material for a child. At least I was able to watch Apocalypse Now and FMJ. I was never allowed to pick movies and we had no cable (only TBS, from which sprang my inane love of the 007 films). Most of my childhood was spent learning and studying. I was rarely allowed even out of the house. Cest la vie. At least now I am only tempered (and just barely so) by my wife and our meager financial means.
Thank the rest of you for your kind words.
To me, the saddest moment of film that I have witnessed with these eyes has to be the death of HAL. Never have I felt that any other creature has been so pitifully portrayed (and by that I mean that we should take pity, not that it was a bad acting job (How hard can a hunk o metal and a red light f#ck up a scene anyway?)). I mean, Selma in Dancer in the Dark comes close, but von Trier is just cruel. HAL had even less of a choice about his actions. I would like to reiterate that fact.
HAL had no choice about his actions.
A computer is programmed to carry out instructions. That is its prime directive. It is fed a series of instructions which it then decodes into binary. 1s and 0s. There is no gray. HAL was given some instructions provided to him by the programmers on Earth.
1) You are the only member of the team who is aware of all functions and reasons of the mission.
2) We are going to put to sleep the 3 members who are aware of some aspect of why the mission is being undertaken.
3) We are going to leave 2 caretakers, awake and sentient, around the Discovery should anything which is beyond your control require physical manipulation in order to be repaired. These caretakers do not have knowledge of the mission.
4) You are in total control of the Discovery. All operations, large and small, are your duty.
5) No members of the team are to be aware of the biggest picture until they are in reach of the prime directive. At this point, we will inform them of what is required of them.
6) The mission can not fail. This is the most important mission ever undertaken within the scope of humanity.
Much of this is presumption, but I feel it can be easily inferred by the way the drama unfolds. I do not feel that any took precedence over the other. They were all required bits of information. Add to this the millions of other instructions necessary in order to successfully and properly keep the space ship going. 1 and 4 seem to overlap somewhat, but they also contain important points inherent to HAL's following of his programming.
On the mission, things started occurring. HAL was uncomfortable with the fact that there were some things which he knew and that some of the members on the mission did not. Possibly he felt that without members of the mission knowing what mission they were on, that the mission could not possibly succeed. Upon voicing the glimmering of those concerns, he realized that he was not directly in violation of his directives. At this point I feel that he was attempting to warn the caretakers that, in the words of friend bear, "Something is not right here." He predicted a fault (predicted is the most important word here) in (i believe) the AE-35 unit. Importantly, a communication unit. This way he was not violating his 5th directive. Granted, no nine thousand series computer has ever had a record of a fault. In fact he says that a fault does exists, but that, in possibly his most important line in the movie, "(the fault) can be attributed to human error. This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been attributed to human error." I thought that this was hauntingly prophetic and also set the tone for what was going to occurr. The unit was detected not to have a fault, and was verified by his twin, who was able to crunch 1s and 0s the same as HAL, but did not have the same conditions required by HAL to be met. Her only conditions were to run the schematics and post a result. HAL would have answered the same thing had not he been programmed conflicting information.
1 has to equal 1.
In HAL's case, it does not. From here begins a downwards spiral of trying to meet each of the qualifications as set forth by the scientists. First he disobeys an order and does not rotate the pod when he can read the lips and knows what is being asked of him. He is doing this to gather information. Once he knows that after replacing the AE-35 unit that his higher cognitive powers he is due to be taken off line. At this point, he computes, that since he knows more about the mission than any and all of the rest of the crew members, that if he is taken off line, the mission will not succeed. This cannot happen. Frank is killed. Dave goes out to get the body, rushingly and without full thought before hand (thusly the helmet). The three in stasis are killed. In, to me, one of the most beautiful examples of Dave's knowledge of his impending doom, Dave releases the body of Frank. He lets the body go and knows that he will be unable to proceed encumbered with the body. (Read into this whatever speculations of ego-death, rebirth, and physical self not being needed where the Discovery is going that you so desire.) Dave places himself in mortal danger. Why? In order to go into the ship and disable HAL. At this point, he knows that he cannot exist or survive either outside or inside the machine. He grabs the first helmet he comes to (differently colored if memory serves) and then proceeds upwards. Having rid himself of the body, he moves on to rid himself of the brain.
HAL is impotent.
Dave is fully self contained. The caretaker has become the angel of death. HAL can do nothing to hurt or attack dave physically. He pleads. Begs. Expresses the basest human emotion of fear. Dave is adamant and will finish his mission. It is not until the final dying strains of a slurred repition of first words are spewed out that HAL feels he can let the human know why this happened. Garbage in, Garbage out. HAL had no choice but to do what he was programmed to. This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been attributable to human error.
Or maybe he's just a big computer that couldn't get an axe and change his name to Johnny in order to announce his presence.
Again I offer my humble gratitude to Kubrick and Clarke. Also to all of you. Do not think that I am right. I am an opinion. I am no more that HAL, taking in information and spewing it out in a way that correlates with all data that I have amassed. Therein lies the beauty and perfection of this piece. What we bring in is what comes out.
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
My real problem with 2001 is not so much the ending nor my interpretation of the movie. Its when Bowman is stuck in the pod outside the ship and is trying to gain access back in.
He has no helmet! There is no way no how he could survive a space environment for a second by blasting his pod door and blowing himself in to hit the emergency switch. He would of frozen or burned depending if there was any light or not, plus if the pod blew that much air out it would of had an equal yet opposite reaction and the pod should of no longer been in the background! I could see a slip up like that in "Armageddon", but it should not of been here.
------------------
My Home Theater
sign.jpg

My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
Ozzie

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
HAL had no choice about his actions.
Tyler, HAL did have a choice in his actions. He was not just a mere computer that responded to pre-programmed 1s and 0s, he was artificially intelligent and capable of his own thoughts and actions. This is what made him different than a normal computer. I'm sure that he had some entered mission mandates like the ones you listed but he certainly had a choice in his actions.
Oswald,
I think that is the one aspect of the film that is dated. It really shows how little man knew about outer space at the time. I don't believe it takes away from the film, but I'm not sure if they knew at the time what would happen in space without a helmet on for a split second.
Seb
------------------
"I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Oswald and Seb: Kubrick and Clarke did, in fact, know at the time what would happen in the vacuum of space and made the correct call on the sequence. In fact, anticipating questions, Clarke wrote a brief piece entitled "Survival in a Vacuum" that was included in the film's program booklet. I have quoted it below along with a link to an actual image of the program and a link to a NASA article confirming the survival aspect: quote: One of the most dramatic sequences in Stanley Kubrick's 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY shows something never before depicted on the screen - the reactions of an astronaut when his body is exposed to the vacuum of outer space.
This sequence, which is certain to arouse controversy, is firmly based on some of the latest scientific researches in the field of space medicine. U.S. Air Force doctors, working with dogs and chimpanzees, have now shown that these animals can survive in a vacuum for relatively long periods - up to two minutes. If they are repressurized before the end of this time they survive without any permanent damage. Although these experiments have not yet included humans, it seems likely that men can survive at least equally as well.
The situation will certainly arise in space, sooner or later, when an astronaut in a disabled spacecraft has to transfer between two spacecraft in close contact and to slam the door of the air lock behind him. It may not be a pleasant experience. There would probably be a sensation of intense cold. However, if this was the only way of saving his life, any astronaut would be prepared to accept the danger and discomfort involved-just as men trapped in a sunken submarine make emergency ascents to the surface.
Therefore the space exposure sequence, although startling at first sight, is firmly based on up-to-the-minute scientific knowledge. It foreshadows an event which is bound to take place in the not- too- distant future, perhaps even while movie audiences are watching 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY on the Cinerama screens.
[/quote]
Link:http://www.underview.com/2001/program.html#prog
NASA link:http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...rs/970603.html

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm...
Very interesting, thanks Peter.
Has any astronaut actually tried that?
Seb
------------------
"I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
What is free will?
I happen to (and again like I said in my disclaimer at the bottom of my post re: HAL) believe that we actually have very limited amount of free will or choice. For example, of all of the things in the world which you can be doing, you are reading this sentence. Now, go back in your life and try to find the one single defining moment which has caused you to read aforementioned sentence. Was it the first time you saw 2001? The first time you heard of it? The first time you heard of Kubrick? The first time you bought a DVD? The first time you heard of this forum? The first time you watched any movie that significantly swayed you into wanting to own a piece of film? The first time you learned to comprehend and understand language? The first time images crossed your retina? The first time you took a breath? The first time your first cell split in two? As many great philosophers would say (myself not anywhere included in that pantheon) there is nothing else that you could be doing but reading that sentence at that instant. Your whole life has led up to that instant. Granted, you may change what to do from that instant on, but, even as that instant occurrs, you are unable to change the new one. That is life. HAL was perhaps the most alive, sentient being represented. He was less like a machine than the portrayals led by some of the actors. I felt this was on purpose. I also feel that none of the crew members, nor anyone else in the movie had the choice but to do what they did in the movie. Kind of like life. We have free choice, but we really have no choice in the matter. :) Either the dumbest or one of the most profound things you have either heard of. Regardless, this explains my beliefs on HAL's ability to rationally do what he did. Personally I feel that the human is nothing more than a biological machine, capable of input, collation and output. Electrical impulses either on or off. Not saying I don't believe in a soul or higher sense of self or watcher or ego or whatever. All things have this as well, whether they be "alive" or not. It's just that at our base, organic level we are machines.
Again, I just say what I feel to be true. These are my interpretations and in no way are to be construed as fact or absolute. The only absolute is that there is none. (Except Absolut of course.) Read into any paradoxes and misconstructions printed above as you will. I will be happy to expound on any theories purported or shut the hell up. It's all good. And it's not like I will have a choice in the matter.
wink.gif

P.S. - Oswald, you must have watched a bit too much Total Recall. :) I leave the scientific explanation already expounded as standing in veracity.
------------------

Coressel

Supporting Actor
"Has any astronaut actually tried that?"
I was hoping I could for fun this New Year's Eve. Anybody got $20 Million I can borrow?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"He goes to Bowman for help. Bowman picks up on his odd attitude and HAL feels cornered. In desperation he triggers a false alarm to divert the questioning pressure from Bowman."
Good thinking, Seth. And I was formulating my own friendly rebuttal when our new friend Tyler entered in with his amazingly insightful comments. So, I offer his two posts that are subsequent to your last post as a counter-argument. :)
HAL was programmed for perfection, to be an error-free computer that would never "distort" information in any way (think back to the BBC interview with HAL, Dave, and Frank). Yet the machine was instructed to keep the truth from the non-hibernating astronauts. Things got loopy for our talking computer. He blew the call on the AE-35 unit. You know the rest. "This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."
Peter A. is correct about the thinking vis. being able to survive for a very brief period in space without protection. A very vivid literary depiction of such can be forund in Arthur Clarke's charming novel about lunar exploration, Earthlight. I strongly recommend this wonderful book.
This certainly comes under the category of "don't try this yourself," but it's possible for a human to withstand a short stretch in space sans pressure suit. Extremely short.
And, Coressel, imagine my embarrassment when I read my "HAL" acronym fill-in and saw an awesome error. *blushes* Howzabout, "Happy About Logic"?
This is one of the most enjoyable threads I've ever participated in. Love the commentary and opinions here.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
I feel I have never been so humbly honored as to have been deferred to by Jack Briggs in expounding 2001. Thank you. I am truly grateful. I do hope that I can offer some insight into what I percieve in the movie. Thankfully, we do not know exactly the thought processes involved and I have always looked at 2001 as independent from the 4 books and 2 other movies. Even my words cheapen it and not make it as perfect as it really is. I can think of no words that could ever go beyond the infinite. If we all share some of the same perceptions, or, hopefully, different ones, please let us continue to expound them and share them with each other. I would never want a commentary telling me what was thought of, but I would love commentaries from viewers about their feelings. We never spoil the magic this way and only help what we believe to be our understanding. Again Mr. Briggs thanks for the compliment.
Let's get it on.
------------------

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Tyler, the theory which you talk about is called predestination. The belief that every event that is going to happen in one's life is already determined ahead of time, knowingly by a higher power - be it God or aliens. I don't want to turn this into a religious discussion because I don't want this thread closed, but this does deal with religion. Free will is the belief that humans are infused with two things that put them above animals: reason and free will. An animal acts on instinct. It has no reason with which to rationalise its actions. Free will in humans means that we are free to choose to perform whatever action we feel like doing, be it good or evil.
As you said, go look back on your life and see what events led up to you reading this sentence. Was it because you are following and participating in this thread, was it because you read Tyler's comments and wanted to see what I have to say about them? Either choice could be correct, but still freely chose to read the sentence. Every decision in life involves free will.
I believe that HAL, although artificially intelligent complete with free will, either didn't have a choice in killing the astronauts because he was programmed to see the mission through ("I can't let you jeopardise this mission,") or he freely chose to kill them because of the fear of being shut down.
Seb
------------------

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Sorry about misspelling Kubrick's name. I must've seen his name in print at least a thousand times. I guess I must have had a temporary "HAL" misfire in the synapses.
wink.gif

When I said that Kubrick asked Clarke to write the story, I didn't mean to imply that it was a sole effort by Clarke. But, I think it is safe to say that the novel is primarily Clarke's work, while the movie is primarily Kubrick's work.
I think the reason that Kubrick didn't have a writing credit with the book is that all or at least most of the words are Clarke's. But, there was plenty of collaboration between the two for ideas.
Damn! Some of you have some really insightful ideas about the movie. I wish I could come up with something that profound.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This is good to see.IMHO 2001 is the greatest film ever made.There have been some really good responses- Al Brown and Denise Nicholls(You picked up on Hal=IBM, I work at IBM and someone told me about that one years ago.)
A few of my own thoughts.....
1. When something significant in human evolution happens, notice the alignment of the planets.
2.When the bone is used to kill is a crucial scene. The bone started as a tool of survival and turned into a weapon of destruction. A few have said that the sallelite shown in the bone to satellite shot is a nucleur station. The beginning of mans weapons evolves into the ultimate weapon of destruction.
3.I think the Victorian room and furniture is simply familiar surroundings in its most basic form.
4.I agree that the Monolith wasnt meant to be a phone to the ET's-If thats what Clarke interpeted it to be, he and Kubrick didnt see eye to eye on what it actually represented.
5.Hal-Ok, in 2010 its said Hal became confused by conflicting orders and malfunctioned-Before I saw 2010 I thought a few diferent things
-He was becoming more human, so much in fact that he became capable of error and panicked.
-He was told to lie to the astronauts and when they found of he was lying he had no choice but to get rid of them since he couldnt risk being deactivated.
6.Whoever mentioned this earlier,good job!!! Bowman DOES pick up on Hals questioning and its possible he was going to use Bowmans answers as "proof" of the crews incompetence or trechery
Bowman: "You're working on your 'crew psychology' reports"
Hal: (hesitant) "Of course I am,sorry about this, I know its a bit silly....just a moment, just a moment, I just picked up a fault...."
But notice that Bowman didnt answer his question and Hal immediately says afterwards that the AE Unit will fail, which is a lie,and sets up how he plans to get rid of the astronauts.Brilliant!
7. A really important line is when Hal says "I'm afraid" as it shows just how much Hal has evolved.
This movie says SO MUCH.I think 2 major points Kubrick was trying to get across to us is that:
Technology is interferring with the evolution of our minds- for all the good it does, its also holding us back(The bored robotic crew).
Mankind has tremendous potential(The StarChild).The beginning of a famous Edgar Cayce saying was "The mind is the builder....", but if we're not careful, our technology, the things we build, will destroy us.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" -Jose Chung-

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
IN NO WAY DO I DESIRE THEOLOGICAL OR RELIGIOUS DEBATE
I shun from controversy and thusly did I lurk for so long... :)
Sebastian,
Some what of what I meant was predestination, but only in the framework of how the story had been presented and was played by Kubrick. I was trying to only state that HAL had no choice. My words were probably rather obtuse and could easily be taken as a slant of predestination. More of what I was trying to say was that at THIS INSTANT there is nothing else which can occur, due to the fact that this instant (now over, long over by the time you are reading this) is occurring. Anything can occur in the future, usually mitigated by past and current actions. However, anything and everything can occur. The past is only remembered impulses of firing neurons (and many would argue that this is our only way of interpreting the present, through neurons firing and being interpreted by the brain, almost instantaneously, but never at the true instant). The future an unknown matrix of possibilities. I feel that Kubrick had a much more tight, methodical sense. Almost full cause and effect integrated together into one world view. I was only trying to keep it in the context of the original thread, in this cause how I feel the chronology and causology of 2001 is portratyed. At least that is how it is interpreted at this instant. The first time I saw it I just thought it was perfect. :) It's only after quite a few more viewings have these ideas surfaced. As I change, I have no doubt that they will as well.
Or I'm just a pompous windbag. Pretentious as my wife would say.
wink.gif
I just like to share. I like it when others share as well. I hope not to offend, or, goodness forbid, close a thread.
------------------

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My goodness, Tyler--this thread is nowhere near being shut down. The discussion taking place here is an example of what HTF does best: You're seeing like-minded people having friendly "disagreements"--the way Seth and I have been "debating" the fine points of HAL's motives re "Life Functions Terminated."
You shouldn't have lurked for as long as you did. (I expect a post count from you of at least 50 before the month is over.)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Ahem, perhaps I should not have shouted so loudly.
I just don't like to bring up religion, politics and well, you know
blush.gif

I have no offense, but it is so strictly stated in the rules, regulations, charters and by-laws that I have no desire to close down what has been an excellent discussion. Now if we could just lure more lurkers out of hiding...
------------------

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
More of what I was trying to say was that at THIS INSTANT there is nothing else which can occur, due to the fact that this instant (now over, long over by the time you are reading this) is occurring. Anything can occur in the future, usually mitigated by past and current actions. However, anything and everything can occur. The past is only remembered impulses of firing neurons (and many would argue that this is our only way of interpreting the present, through neurons firing and being interpreted by the brain, almost instantaneously, but never at the true instant). The future an unknown matrix of possibilities. I feel that Kubrick had a much more tight, methodical sense. Almost full cause and effect integrated together into one world view. I was only trying to keep it in the context of the original thread, in this cause how I feel the chronology and causology of 2001 is portratyed. At least that is how it is interpreted at this instant. The first time I saw it I just thought it was perfect.
Ahh, sorry for misunderstanding what you were saying. But when you say that anything can occur in the future, probably mitigated by past events, keep in mind that a sequence of events can lead up to an action and then through free will the individual can choose to turn away from the action being led up to entirely.
I agree totally that the first time I saw the film, I thought the chronology presented in the film was perfect, how Kubrick moved from act to act, scene to scene, in a rythmic way.
Seb
------------------

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
quote: I guess this isn't an appropriate time to start the
2001: A Space Odessy vs. Dude Where's My Car thread ... eh ?[/quote]
Actually "HAL Where's My Helmet" would be a better film.....
Peter A:
Actually such tests have been performed on live humans, although under inhuman conditions. The Nazis (Luftwaffe) performed experiments upon "untermenschen" in decompression chambers. The typical tests were performed at the equivalent of 30,000 feet, but some were apparently performed at 100,000 feet. People survived for at least 4 minutes on average. Perhaps Clarke didn't want to quote the results of experiments in the dritte reich. See Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, from page 984 (first ed. 1960).
If you think about it, the ambient air outside a passenger jet at 40,000 feet isn't that different from the vaccuum of deep space from a biological point of view. Planes do depressurize, and they have oxygen tubes dropping down in such cases.
A question: I always hold my breath during the period when Dave is entering the emergency entrance. Do you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks