What's new

2001 A Space Odyssey in New York City!! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Go here:
http://movies.warnerbros.com/2001/?fromtout=movies_d
Looks like Stanly Kubrick's epic, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, will have a 5 day run in 70mm at New York's Astor Plaza, the WB site lists it as starting on December 14th. I think Lord of the Rings is playing at the Astor starting on the 19th, so it looks like 2001 will be playing from the 14th thru the 18th. Five days only, but I'm going to see how many times I can get in there for it.
There is absolutely no excuse for any metro area member of the HTF to miss 2001 in 70mm, YOU WILL NOT SEE A BETTER FILM ALL YEAR, BAR NONE! Not to sound "elitist," but if you haven't seen 2001 in 70mm, you haven't *really* seen it.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Hey, I hope so! But as far as I know, there is only one print in 70mm available and the next engagement starts on the 20th in Los Angeles. I hope I'm wrong and it's there for two weeks...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jack, I am gonna give your movie another chance. On the big screen this time. I better be BLOWN AWAY!!! :D
--
Holadem

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Actually, and I can't vouch for this, but I remember reading that there is more than one 70mm print floating around the cosmos at this time.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Thanks, Peter. I still haven't fully recovered from my mind-blowing 2001 experience at the Uptown in DC but I'll be there Friday night.

--Bill

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
The direct line to the Astor Plaza is 212-575-1454. The woman said it'll be there for at least one week, but the showtimes aren't ready yet.

--Bill

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
"Holadem. What are you doing Holadem?
I'm afraid I can't let you give me a bad review, Holadem."
:p)
And yes, only you will hear HAL's voice saying that to you during intermission.
And don't go to the restroom either...
"Open the bathroom stall door, HAL!"
:D

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
There was a free screening last night for NYU Tisch students (sadly, I did not know and therefore didn't go), but a friend of mine who was there said that there weren't enough people, so they were just giving away passes to people on the street. Wish I had known.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Disturbing news in a way, Mark. Why didn't anybody want to see the screening?
It might be interesting if you were to do an informal poll of people you knew for certain attended the screening. Maybe even find some who chose not to attend, and ask them why.
I am interested in hearing what students are saying.
(Then, give me the e-mail addresses of all those who dissed the film. :))

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I would have seriously flown to NYC to see 2001 in 70mm...
Guess what? Finals are on the 18th and 19th. :angry:
Perhaps 2001 can come to the peach state soon?

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
It could just be that Tisch didn't give out enough passes. And believe me, it's crunch time around here, so those who had passes may have been teetering on the edge because they have finals/papers/final papers due right around this time (I know I do). My one friend who I know saw it said it was amazing. He said that he had always respected it as a film, but it never really hit him until he saw it on a giant screen. So far so good, no?

Well, it seems that the people who were brought in from the street were simply told "Do you want to see a special preview showing of a sci-fi movie?" Now, do you honestly believe that that would bring in the best possibly audience for a film like 2001? Didn't think so. Apparently the audience was a cross-section of arthouse folk (one of whom got up in the middle of the opening music and explained to everyone what fanfare is) and random people who just happened to be walking around Times Square. My friend informs me that a lot of the moments of silence in space were ruined by some guy who was listening to music on very loud headphones sitting nearby. Still though, he said it was an amazing movie experience nonetheless. Now, from the students, I'm sure you'll get a favorable response simply because Tisch is an arts school, but the general public... well... they always have their loud headphones.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess that's reassuring. Interesting. But you gotta love it: "Want to see a special screening of a sci-fi movie?" How informed.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Don't know why I never accessed that thread--as film restoration is a favorite topic of mine. As I said in that thread (thanks, Dennis), if the currect quite excellent DVD can be bested and the film look even better in the home theater, I'm in! And it will end up being the fifth time I purchase 2001 on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks