What's new

2 speakers or 5.1speakers (1 Viewer)

Rishi

Auditioning
My budget for 2 pkrs + recvr is USD1000. I listen to 70/30 music/movies. I have been advised to get just the main right now and upgrade to 5.1 later.
I have been reading this forum for about a year now and finally I decided to take the plunge.

I checked out most of the HTBs but didnt find them to my taste.
I am not sure about JBL NSP1.
I auditioned AperionAudio too(I'm in Portland,OR and I was able to drive to them;-). They did an excellent job for HT but I wasnt very thrilled on their musical abilities. btw, they are very well built. Also slightly above my budget.
I checked B&W but the ones that I like were like $1400/pr. I forget the model.
I have auditioned JMLab Chorus 710. I liked them and fall within my price range (600/pr). What other models do they compare with? What about recvr to go with it?

Thanks for your comments.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome to HTF :D
I listen to about 70-80% music also. I went with Marantz SR6200 and originally Paradigm Mini Monitors, but have just switched to Monitor 5s (got a great deal, more than 50% off) for improved music performance.
On the receiver side, since you listen to mostly music, I would recommend you give a listen to both Marantz and Harmon Kardon. With that budget, I'd recommend the H/K AVR320 or 520 or Marantz SR6200 or 7200. Both are some of the best when it comes to 2ch music in a mass market integrated, IMO. Also, you might want to do a quick search on Outlaw Audio, which many on this forum seem to swear by.
For speakers, I'll throw the standards at you: Paradigm's Monitor or Studio line, Link Removed M22Ti. Others that I have not heard, but would be worth looking into might be Swans Divas, and Norh.
I have not heard the M22, but I have heard the M3Ti and I was quite impressed with them in my system with music. I would only expect the M22 to be better. On their site, there is an outlet selling "blemished" items for less.
At $1400/pr for B&W those may have been the CDM line. I would suggest listening to the DM602 S3 if you can.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
If you are 70/30 music/movies, then I would suggest that you start out with 3 very good mains and a good musical receiver. It is always better to start out with a good pair of mains then to try ti fit a 5.1 system into your budget. What I would do is try to look for a good set of bookshelves that go down to about 40-50Hx or so, as most sound information in music only goes down to about 40 hz. When you feel the need for upgrading, you can switch the bookshelves to the rears as you get a better set of mains. I would recommend that you spend between 500-700 for the mains, at this price you can find a great selection. Here are a few you can look for
B&W 602 s2 or s3
Paradigm Studio 20 or maybe 40
Norh 6.9 M used
Diva 4.1 ( these are floors, but very good)
And if you are competant at building things, take a look at som DIY designs from Zalytron, Madisound, GR Research, and others
I hope this helped

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd suggest you buy the front two plus the centre channel. You can always pick up matching rears at a later date.

Rob_V

Agent
I agree with Chung and Andrew. If you are listening to 70% music anyway, you don't really need 5.1, the front 3 channels will do the trick, and you can set your receiver to Pro-Logic Phantom mode (I think it's Phantom mode, it's been a while since I've set anything to any Pro-Logic mode.)

Movies will still sounds great, not as good as they would with 5.1, but great. You could throw a sub in there too and that would make it sound even better.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
2.1 would be a great start IMO.

Sometimes when I'm not using my surrounds, I play games or movies where it sounds as if sound is coming from behind me when there are no speakers there.

I think you'll be pleased with the variation of sound that can come from a 2 channel source. Depending on the movie, some rarely even use the surround channels.

With 2.1 you'll get a simulated center channel image where dialogue sounds as if it's coming from right between the speakers. The problem is that the sweet spot is small but with 2.1 you won't miss out on any bass.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
i personally dont think that you even need the center channel. If your speakers image well and have good off-axis response, a center channel is almost a moot point. Also, if you are going to spend 600-700 for speakers, then instead of having the full amount for a pair of really good mains, you will have to pay for just somewhat good mains and a center channel that is not up to snuff with your mains. I would say that you should add the center in when you get the surrounds.

Rishi

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies. I am (and was) inclining towards getting a pair of floorstanders and skip on the subwoofer or center spkr.
so what are the options I have for that in the 600-700 range? I can then spent the rest on the recvr.
What choices do I have for $400 recvr?
choices,choices,choices!!!

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
You Asked: "so what are the options I have for that in the 600-700 range?"

A pair of Axiom M3TIs ($275 list, often available for $247 at their outlet store) would do nicely. Add something like an Adire RAVA subwoofer ($399) and you would have a very fine music system, as long as you took the time to set it up properly. (It took me about an hour, including the time used to consume two or three cold Coronas.)

Receivers in the $350 to $400 range? Take your pick. Depending on your needs and the size of your room: Onkyo, Pioneer, even the occasional Harmon-Kardon.

There has never been a better time to be a music lover/audiophile on a budget.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would try to get a pair of bookshelves instead of floorstanders. Generally, you get more sound per dollar with bookshelves than with floors, even though you might get 10hz lower extension. As for receivers in the $400 range, you can look at Denon 1802, Marantz 5200 or 6200 refurb, Onkyo 600, etc etc. For $500, you have much more choices, as the jump from $400 receivers to $500 receivers is pretty big. You can find the HK 320 for around this price, as well as the Denon 2802, and some others that have much more musicality than their $400 counterparts. If you are really into music over movies, I would try looking for a good integrated amp and depending on how good the DACs of your DVD player, just send a stereo signal out from your DVD player when viewing movies.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I agree with Chung above.
If music is your priority, don't go with a receiver. There is better muscicality available in some plain ol' stereo units.
My suggestion would be the Rega Mira integrated. You can get them on Audiogon used for around the $500 or less level. In fact right now htere is a Mira 2000 for $599 or a regular Mira (pre year 2000) for $410
It has preamp outputs as well as power amp inputs (HT bypass), which basically means it is completely flexible in terms of hook-up options.
Use your DVD player to do 2 channel mix down and send out an analog signal to the Rega.
If you ever desire to move up to a full blown 5.1 operation then the Rega allows you to add on a processor or a receiver with pre-outs because of its HT bypass.
As a bonus it does vinyl too.
Read review here:
Link Removed
For speakers it would be a fairly safe be to stick to British models with the Mira, but other high quality brands would work well too.
If you want floorstanders there are on audiogon right now Rega Juras for $550, Castle Kendals $555, Totem Staaf or Arro, Monitor Audio Silver 7i $599, JM Lab Chorus 710 $449, Dynaudio Audience 62 $675.
Combine any of these speakers with the Mira and you will blow away any receiver for 2 channel stereo sound, but still have the ability to build around it for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks