What's new

2-disc releases that should've had an insert. (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I don't mind that most new 1-disc releases don't come with inserts.

But as I look though my collection of 2-disc releases, there are some titles that really should've had an insert/booklet:

- Gangs of New York

- Hulk

- Goodfellas

- Top Gun

- The Aviator

- Star Trek CEs VI-X

Every time I open one of these cases, it seems like something's missing.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My personal opinion is that every disc (single, double or otherwise) should come with an insert. A complete extras list and chapter selection. Maybe a four pager for bigger releases with director notes or behind the scenes trivia (Studio Classics Collection comes to mind).

I understand people don't look at these and they cost an extra three pennies for the studios...but how many VHS tapes came with inserts of some kind (coupons, special deals, whatever)?

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
All Warner 2-disc SEs since they went to keepcases (at least the ones I've had like Chariots of Fire, Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby). Seems a cheapskate thing to leave out to me, though I know others couldn't care less if they were included.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
VHS certainly had coupons and crap, but no inserts... Now DVDs have coupons and crap, but no inserts. See the trend :)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
It would be great if every DVD came with an insert (preferably not just a copy of the cover art), but I can live without an insert for 'Meet the Fockers'.

But 'Gangs of New York' & 'The Aviator', come on...

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Imagine buyibg a cd with nothing but the fron picture/artwork and absolutely nothing inside. Same thing IMHO.
C'mon, spend the dough...

:)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not too upset with movies, as the packaging usually lists were all the features are, other than chapter stops. What annoys me is TV on DVD releases that have no episode guides whatever. "Tom Green: Inside the Box" is a good example.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't care much...

But "UHF" originally had a fake TV Guide booklet handed out at theaters in 1989. That would have been a great thing to put in the DVD case.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yup, as Jay says. Especially since now they're packaging/pricing 2-discs as "premium" product. Looks cheap.

I can live without the cardboard slipcover when it just duplicates the cover artwork...surely that's got to cost more than an insert. Course, some 2-discers don't have either. And those were some pretty expensive discs too.

Examples of recently watched 2-discers at opposite ends of the "cheapness" spectrum (in Canada):
The Big Red One: expensive, no paperwork.
The Devil's Rejects: cheap, paperwork.

I like what they do for numerous R2 discs and some TV slims here: (semi)-transparent keepcases, chapter list printed on back of cover insert. Kinda the snapper thing where chapter list is printed on cover, but more sturdy. Should be no extra assembly work this way.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget the cost of paying the assembly people ;) And don't forget the production costs, and don't forget the time needed. Printers are a busy bunch and I can just imagine how difficult it must be for these studios to get these discs out.

I'd give up the insert (every time) to avoid any kind of 'pushed off' release date - ANY DAY!

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I have heard various diffferent viewpoints both for and against them. Some actually THROW them out! I for one adore them, and try my best to read every line. Heck, I even read the descriptions on the back before and after for the most part.

Ryan

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I bought Gump new recently and it had nothing, but I've seen used copies that had a chapter card so Paramount pulled the insert.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
When they first switched to keepcases, Warner did chapter inserts for their 2-disc editions (such as the Matrix sequels, The Last Samurai, Harry Potter 3, and Troy), but they didn't put inserts in their single-disc Amaray releases. They then stopped putting chapter inserts in their 2 disc SEs around early 2005.

Disney tinkered with cutting costs and in early 2004, they didn't manufacture inserts for any of their releases during that period. But they got enough complaints and have restored the inserts. Frankly, I think Fox and Disney are the only ones still doing inserts for their DVD releases.

I would like to see inserts for the following:

- The Batman Anthology
- Batman Begins (both for the single disc and 2-disc editions)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- The Polar Express
- Serenity
- Spider-Man 2

And there's more where that came from...

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I think every DVD should have an insert, even if it's just the chapter stops on one side & adverts for other DVDs on the other, as long as there's SOMETHING in there!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I hate how they stop putting inserts in the dvds case now. And of course they used the money saved to make a big cardbox that surrounds the dvd case to make it look more "pretty"..even so it the exact same design as the dvd coverart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks