What's new

2-channel amp for Dynaudio 52SE (1 Viewer)

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I have a set of these fine speakers arriving soon. They will reside in my audio-only system. I know they are power hungry (4 ohm nom impedance & 86dB sensitivity), but how does that translate into the real world? I will be filling a 20x20 room. I've been looking at amps from McCormack, CJ, and Bryston. Each company offers a 100-150 watt amp, and a 200-300 watt amp. Does anyone know if the lower powered amps can still make these babies sing?

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I use a 200 wpc Acurus for my Dyn Contour 1.3s (L+R front), works beautifully, and a 80 wpc Acurus for my Contour 1.1s in the rear. Now that's mostly ProLogic surround, but I do occasionally play DTS CDs, and the 80 wpc unit does fine. I think technically it's 80 wpc into 8 ohms anyway, which probably equates to 160 wpc into 4 ohms ... isn't that how it works? Anyway, I've had this setup for about 7 years now, working wonderfully.

I may be wrong, but I think capacitace and current are going to be more telling specs than strict "wpc" numbers ....

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for your info. I agree that current is more of an issue with an inefficient speaker. It bodes well that your Acurus can drive your Dynaudios. I hope that means that the sub-200 watt amps will work, due to their high current output.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
What does your dealer carry? Best is to try and see if you like what you hear.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious as to ideas for this too, I have a marantz 5300 that does ok with 52SE, but I would like to feed them a bit more juice from a separate amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks