What's new

1st format of HD players to reach $200 in the marketplace? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i bet HD-DVD has a better chance of reaching a price point that regular consumers are willing to afford. $200 isn't totally out of reach of $60-100 SD-DVD playback device market. spend another 100 and you can true HD. BluRay will have a hard time competing in trying to reach critical mass from the avg. joe's perspective just on price alone.... so 1 more point for HD-DVD =).

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Why is that?
Doesn't the Blu-ray camp have far more manufacturers lined up?
Don't they both use the same blue laser technology?
Isn't Toshiba taking a loss on each player sold?
I think prices will converge soon, but I don't see $200 on either side for some time to come.

*Note--MS will offer the XBOX360 HD-DVD add-on at ~$200, but functionality requires purchase of $299-$399 XBOX360 for total price of $500-600--same price as Sony PS3.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny

Yes the Blu-ray camp has more manufactuers lined up.

Yes use the same blue laser diodes but they impliment them differently. It has something to do with how fast the discs spin and how fast the laser read them. I believe the actual drive may cost more for Blu-ray devices.

It has never been officially confirmed that Toshiba is taking a loss. It's just speculation. Considering it was originally supposed to cost $1000 and they settled on $500 I can see where this speculation is coming from.

Yes the total price of the xBox 360 to play HD DVDs is around the same as the total cost of the PS3. However, there are already a few millions xBox 360s in peoples homes so to them it's only spending an extra $200 for a HD DVD player.

You can find many places to purchase the Toshiba for under $400 now. However, I don't think the reason of the price drops are to reach a magical price point like $200. It's just so they can clear inventory for their 2nd gen players which will be announced at CEDIA and will be available for sale before Christmas.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i guess my point is... like SD-DVD, the HD players must achieve a price point to garner critical number of users. if the price isn't lowered quickly... then it'll be doomed to LD status.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Well if you remember, SD DVD players didn't hit that $200 dollar mark for a couple of years. I remember my first DVD player cost me $700 in 1997.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks