What's new

19 inch computer rack cabinet (1 Viewer)

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I want to set up some computers in a computer rack but I would like to have the rack in a nice wooden cabinet so that it will look nice in my office. I have not been able to find such a cabinet online. Is this something I am going to have to make myself or are there some out there?

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Jeff,
I have been looking for a new desk and stumbled upon the site below. You mentioned computers in your post, they have one like you described but it only houses one PC and it is wider than you mentioned also??
Check it out, maybe it will work; http://www.homecomputerfurniture.com/workstations2.html
its called:
Access Armoire
2 Locking Doors
CD Rack
Heavy-duty ball-bearing keyboard tray
Fixed Printer Shelf - 14"D x 20"W (16" clearance height)
10"W Tower Cavity
Open Upper Supplies shelf (6" clearance height)
Adjustable Interior Bookshelf
Casters (2 locking)
Model:HOC AC36-ARMR
Size: 36"W x 24"D x 64"H
Weight: 150 lbs.
FYI
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

[Edited last by Todd Barattini on September 03, 2001 at 06:30 PM]

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
That is correct. I am looking for the 19" rack-mount furniture. The problem is, all the ones I have ever seen are metal cabinets. I want a cabinet that is made of wood because I think it would look a thousand times nicer. It would still need a metal internal frame to hold the computer equiptment but I want something that is housed in a wooden cabinet.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-
One reason you won't find that, though, is because as freestanding equipment (ie, 19" rack cases) most facilities require a ground bar.. ours does. So, that means that the racks -must- be metal in order to attach them to a ground or to consider them grounded. Otherwise would result in our insurance carriers considering this a fire hazard (realize, if you've got, say, 5 4U dual CPU units in a wood casing, you're going to get someone to say "hey, what happens when...")
If you want to do this, you're probably going to have to construct it. It's also very difficult to get the precise 2U/3U/4U differentials in a wood system whereas it's somewhat easy to get the balanced punches on a metal rack frame.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm. I didn't think about the grounding issue. If I do build my own, I would probably just get a metal rack without the cabinet and build the wooden cabinet around it.

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
You could look at Rack cases for music gear, they dont look all that great but you can get a wood case with metal rails on the inside. You may want to pull the metal corner braces off and apply a wood laminate on the case to make it look better.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ah-hah!
Yes, you can actually get wood framed "Closets" that go around metal rack designs; in fact, I've got information on those.. I don't know if I can find a website, but there are companies who make specifically these.
If that's a route you can take, it does work, I just wanted to point out it's basically impossible to change the framing itself to wood and have it be really workable.

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a site that makes music gear cases. If your ever looking for a poratble rack case check out SKB, they make some cool stuff.
Link Removed
Talk to them and tell them what your looking for. The case doesnt have to be road worthy so you dont need all the extra hardware trimming.
ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks