What's new

16:9 mode is VERY small....HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Tim Neely

Auditioning
Not quite sure how to describe this, but here goes. Just got a DV Samsung TXL3276. When I select wide screen mode, I can see where it decreases the size of the picture by about 2 inches top and bottom. When I play a widescreen dvd (2:35:1) in normal picture mode, it is approximately 12 inches tall. However, when I play a wide screen dvd in wide screen mode, it is shrunk down by more than an additional 2 inches as compared to the standard tv mode at 9 1/2inches! Can this be normal??? I would think it would be equivalent in size to what the movie looks like on standard mode, just w/o the scanned black bars at top and bottom? Anyone have any ideas on what settings in service menu might need adjusted? I found an option in the "Others" section that was labeled "H 16:9 Parabola"....currently set at -19. Am I barking up the right tree? The color is also off, but that will be another post in the not so distant future once my Avia disk gets here.

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget. I've you're going to use the 16:9 mode, you must configure your DVD player to 16:9 mode. Also, don't try squeezeing non 16:9 enhanced DVDs.

Bill Lide

Grip
Make sure your DVD player is set to 16:9. I had the same problem until I went thru the DVD player setup. It always helps to read the instruction book. :)

Dan Belina

Agent
Hmm...mine is in the same situation as yours I think.

I have a Sony 36FS13...there is dark black bars on the top and bottom, then an additional set of bars (an inch thick maybe?) that are lighter in color below the top bar and above the bottom bar.

The additional set (lighter colored) of bars only appears on certain movies, however. For example, on Black Hawk Down, they are not there, but on Fight Club (2 disc version) they do.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
those double bars are usually visible when your tv is doing the squeeze trick. so its generally a good sign :)
but try adjusting your brightness till the bars look all the one color the difference is amazing

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Tim-

To properly view a "widescreen" DVD in 16:9 mode a 4:3 TV, you have to set your TV to 16:9 mode and set your DVD player to output to a 16:9 TV. For movies presented in the 1.85:1 ratio, there will usually be one set of "black bars" depending on the amount of overscan present on the TV. For movies presented in the 2.35:1 ratio, you will notice a wider area of "black bars" that allow the movie to be seen in its Original Aspect Ratio. Yes, the picture height is greatly reduced from 1.85:1. There shouldn't be a dramatically noticeable difference in the colors of the two black bars if your are watching the movie in a dim room and your TV has been properly calibrated.

Hope that helps.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This question gets asked a lot. Remember: Set your DVD player to output at 16:9 mode. And if you are seeing "secondary" black bars within the 16:9 window, you need to lower the brightness (black level) and the contrast (white level) so that the bars merge seamlessly with the dead space on the screen.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
FYI:
Here are the viewing areas for a 4:3 32" TV in the various aspect ratios:
4:3=25.6 in(w) x 19.2 in(h) (491.52 sq in)
1.85:1=25.6 in(w) x 13.8 in(h) (353.28 sq in)
2.35:1=25.6 in(w) x 10.9 in(h) (279.04 sq in)

Tim Neely

Auditioning
Guys, Thanks for the feed back. SORRY for the somewhat newbie post, was just a bit worried w/ the display model...afraid I might have gotten a bad one. Dug out the manual for the Sony dvd, and punched in 16:9. This looks MUCHO better. Waiting for the Avia disk to be delivered, and get the other levels set properly. Thanks again.
tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks