What's new

11 feet eye-to-eye distance (14' wall-to-wall) (1 Viewer)

Cu Teo

Auditioning
So, is 64" or 53" prefered for a 16x9 RPTV? There is a site that someone recommended, but I don't understand the numbers it generated! Help!

Also, I am thinking about this setup. Please provide your input:

Pioneer SD-64HD5 RPTV ($2400)
Paradigm Ref Studio40s, CC, Studios20s, Servo15 ($3800)
Rotel RSP-1066 PreAmp/PrePro($1500)
Parasound HCA-2205AT Amplifier ($1700)
Toshiba 4700 DVD ($300)

Thats about $10K for the system!

Thanks!
Cu Teo

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I assume you mean "eye-to-screen", not "eye-to-eye" :D, and you're refering to this link(?):

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

Ok. Let's just take the 64" set at 11ft:

Viewing angle = 23.9 degrees

This means the display width will take up 23.9 degrees of your vision where 360 degrees is a full circular sweep around you. FYI, THX requires a minimum of 26 degrees for all seats in a THX-certified theater (for immersive movie viewing) as explained there. Also, it seems generally accepted that 30 degrees would normally cover your entire field of view, except for extreme peripherals. The other numbers regarding THX and SMPTE relate to this idea of vision coverage and immersion.

Max recommended distance = 24.2ft
Max recommended distance based visual accuity = 22.3ft (NTSC) / 8.4ft (HDTV)

These reflect apparent picture quality. Since the image has limited resolution, apparent PQ will vary according to viewing distance. These max distances reflect how far you have to be before you can no longer see all the details in an image that fully uses the available resolution. As qualified in the explanation for the first value, in reality, you probably won't need to be that far away to enjoy the PQ. That's just the threshold for 20/20 vision.

In practice, you should really go see for yourself. Most likely, you will end up w/ something in between the full immersion #s and the visual accuity #s.

With that said, I'd go w/ the 64" at 11ft. For most of us here, 53" would be too small for that distance.

RE: that particular setup, sounds nice although I would definitely go w/ a different DVD player. The Tosh 4700 is quite old now and not as good as many others. Since the Pioneer TVs have good scaling, I'd go w/ something like the Denon 1600 or actually a universal player given your total budget. Maybe the upcoming Denon 2900.

_Man_

Craig

Second Unit
DVD & HDTV will look fine on the 64" at 11ft. Cable TV may be another matter.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Very good point about regular TV viewing. Some channels can look decent, eg. typically good content on the premium channels, while others will look crappy. Also, even some DVDs can look crappy. If you really need everything to look at least decent, then go w/ the smaller set.

Also, if you can get HD broadcasts, definitely do that as much as possible. Even though not all programming will be true HD, generally, the quality will still be comparable to typical DVDs.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks