What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

“Men will be wearing skirts by next summer” (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Given our nation of fat, pasty, vericose-veined people, I will be happy when skin-showing clothes are outlawed.

Except for shorts, I do have a cool tattoo that runs the length of my leg. :D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I would start wearing a kilt tomorrow if I thought I wouldn' get tarred and feathered here in machismo land.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Well, Rowdy Roddy Piper has never had a problem wearing a kilt, and he's perfectly comfortable with it. So is Sean Connery, and also Mel Gibson and all the men in "Braveheart". That's one thing.

Me, however, I could not see myself putting on a skirt. I mean really, didn't the above photo of "Denise" Rodman convince everyone of that?

The only thing scarier than that is seeing from behind a 500-pound sumo wrestler wearing a thong. Ewwwwwwwww!!!! That'll give you nightmares right there! Gives new meaning to "Just say no to crack"! :D

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

Roofers might be macho, but most of them ain't crazy!! You have any idea what hot asphalt shingles could do to your ass on an August day in Georgia, if that kilt should flip up at the wrong moment? :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Realistically aren't today's shorts which tend to be on the baggy side very a kin to skirts or kilts?

I just don't see skirts or kilts catching on as a fashion for men.

As for lapels, I always go for the narrow ones because they are always fashionable.

Also, the person who almost single handedly killed the hat industry for men in the US was JFK.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
during summer i never wear anything but shorts (and t-shirts ... and my birks) ... but i'm *really* starting to burn out on cargo shorts. somebody puh-leeze come up with a new fashion ... i don't care what it is.

mark - you can come to my wedding in hawaii. i'm wearing a lightweight hawaiin shirt, linen pants and no shoes! i'm encouraging my guests to wear even less! :emoji_thumbsup:

as far as kilts go, i'd probably do it. i've always been told i have nice looking legs (not sure if that's a good thing or not...but there ya go) so i bet kilts would look awesome on me! :rolleyes:it seems like they'd be darn comfortable ... that's for sure. that totally blows, but i recall a similar situation with a kid in my school. he often came to school wearing a skirt ... and was brutally ridiculed. he didn't get expelled or anything like that ... but he certainly didn't have a good high-school life. i always commended the guy for stickin' to his guns.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

You make that sound like it’s a bad thing, Mary. ;)

I sort of think that it is pretentious to wear the national dress of any country if you are not from the region. So even though a lot of my heritage is from Scotland, I’ll pass on kilts.

But—I could be talked into one. I’ve been talked into (and out of) far more outlandish garments over the years by members of the opposite sex. ;) Keep those horizons broad.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
If the right event came along (a wedding, for example) I would wear a kilt. Since I'm part Scot I don't see a problem with it.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I commend the few, the proud, the brave here at HTF! Velvets and men who do wear kilts. Beyond my wildest dreams, I see a crack in the implacable determination of all men in this universe to resist change. I will draw the line at wedding gowns and bluntly yet gently tell you (for your own good) none of you could (should) wear that and pull it off! Unless you happen to be in attendance at your local All-Hallows-Eve ball.

Lew, do you really think “pretentious”? I’m aiming at just a little more romance and excitement in men’s style. Daydreaming that someday males might be assured enough (in their own masculinity) that they might consider importing and reviving an ancient durable practical and comfortable apparel. Not necessarily a recreation of clan tartans, just an adaptation suited to modern tastes and materials. Personally I love a clan kilt (in certain patterns) and that would be my great-grandmothers land of birth and my Irish roots showing, (and when I’m bad, I’m very very fey)! The Irish gene would be the strongest displayed in my physical makeup, possibly responsible for my love for …all things over beyond the great Pond! My husband has not guessed it yet…but if he’d just once play the bagpipes while wearing a kilt …and throw in standing on his head whilst rendering a rousing accompaniment to Capercaillie’s “Ailein Duinn”. He could have any…car… part… he wanted. :laugh:

Throughout history conquering armies or migrating societies have influenced customs, language, food, dress.
Admittedly biased, as I adore the look, I feel no disrespect involved towards other regions regarding adopting/reviving any tradition from the world’s current or past cultures and transplanting to any point on the globe. …Imitation is the sincerest form of…..

Starting my little questioner (under the influence of pain pills I might add) I knew I had a predominately male control group at HTF, representative of a broad cross-section both here and abroad. Since my husband just leaves it at NO. no…NO, but will be the first to admit he has never been accused of leading the cutting edge of style! I wondered if recent films such as Formula 51 were making inroads.

If four out of ten men…suddenly …scratch head….scratch belly…burp…..chug long and thoughtfully…then reply: “Ya…give me one of those…. I’d wear it!”

Then I know that there is hope in my lifetime.

PS Buzz: "unless it is a joke to "get a straight man into a skirt" ...No joke I take a straight man in a kilt very very seriously. :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
A skirt...nah, but I would wear a suit of armour if I had one. Yes, bright crimson red Samurai armour while I mowed the lawn. Or washed the car, that would be trippy.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I don't know, Mary, the next thing you may be bugging me about is taking up the caber toss..... :p) Telephone poles are for sticking in the ground, not for tossing.....

DaveSarcevic

Agent
Maybe wearing askirt wouldn't be that bad. Especially on a hot day like today. What a nice feeling to have a cool breeze blow up the skirt and cool the twins and Mr. Snuffleuffolous. Also better ventilation for farting.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Dennis: Cabors are fine. “Are you tough enough”? (Sung to the tune of Beast of Burden the Rolling Stones).

Ah Hem….Attention… regarding posts to date. The following members get the official gold star for either having worn, (or) to greater and lesser degree their open-mind-ness. David you get two stars as I feel you have worn your kilt the most, (and besides my heritage is Irish/Choctaw, wonderful name you have).

David Brown Eyes :star: :star:
Zen :star: :star: One for wearing a kilt and one for a bribe!
(sheds tear and begs forgivness - with “Puss in Boots” ..awh...eyes)
Kevin :star:
Ricardo :star:
Buzz :star:
Ted :star:
Lew the jury’s still out ..That was a very ambiguous answer

Jay and Chazz and Garrett, no, no, no, wrong category does not count.

Hawaiian shirts count. (hey I started this thread …so I get to choose)
they can be great…black socks not allowed, unless wearing Hawaiian under your tux.
Until recently, I had a very nice and uncommon antique one, mono colored, probably worth hundreds which I had nipped from either my aunt or uncle. In turn it was nipped from me when I lent it to my sons girlfriend.
(Oh why can’t I learn to say NO).

Holladam…...okay.

And Max, sorry missed the question if directed to me? Don’t know who Byron from Babylon 5 is. I’ve never watched it. (but see –below)

Seriously to answer some of the prior discussion about kilts. Guys like Pitt are not the sole suitable candidates for kilt-like wear. Does Connery have the body of Pitt at his current age? Yet he looks great in a kilt. I feel, kilts are a good (and complimentary) cut on a much broader range of body types than either suits or jeans (or kanga hats).

Little smilies all over the place, you just don't want to be subjected to that many.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i got a star! yay!!! :D i'm cooler then a lot of people here at htf ... mary says so.

so there!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

;) Of course—much like my feeling about wearing a garment that is subject to a passing gust of wind or draft from a subway grating—and with no underwear.

But as I wrote, I’d put about anything on (and have) at the drop of a hat, if it helped someone else’s fantasies.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Hmmm selective acknowledgment and praise huh?

Ted, that was me. I was expelled for the same exact thing at an Orange County school.

My Polynesian friends have hipped me to the comfort of the sarong. It is kinder to the male anatomy, it would just take a few to get it started in other cultures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.