What's new

“Men will be wearing skirts by next summer” (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
..….That's my prediction and proclamation," he said with a laugh. "The film answers to both genders. We were going for realism and Greeks wore skirts all the time then." [Brad Pitt At Berlin Premier Of Troy].

Technically this could be a poll. Yet the poll area seems to be for AV topics. In a sense my question does concern the lack of impact of movies upon mens fashions. After Braveheart, Rob Roy, Formula 51, Four Weddings and a Funeral, A Life Less Ordianary, Intolerable Cruelty, Gladiator, Troy and Matrix, why isn’t there a brave new world of knobby knees and flapping (dashing) ankle length over coats

http://www.bravehearts.us/images/mtro006g.jpg

http://www.bravehearts.us/images/troybrad.jpg

http://www.celebstation.org/picture/18049/Sean_Connery

Would you try any of the above kilts/matrix like overcoats..?
Why or why not? Men’s fashions are about as boring as it comes and really have not changed to any degree since the formation of America.
First it was dungeree’s then jeans.
And suits…..okay this year the lapel is wide …no thin…no double breasted.
And Hats…first Tom Landry style hats 60 years …then ball caps.. 40 years ongoing.

Really guys two base style versions of everything worn by Amercian males over 200 years is getting boring.
Where are your hemlines going up and down?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I've been wearing skirts for years, just waiting for them to come into style. I think there is a lot of great American fashion that has influenced many other parts of the world. Hip-Hop/urban and the southern California Skater styles to name a couple.
If you speak of business fashion, then yes, I always find that boring in any part of the world. Changing a lapel, shoulder pads(yuck!!), and "hemlines" doesn't do much for the most boring and uncomfortable wear ever.
Also, the hi I'm over 50, I need to wear only Hawaiian shirts, khaki shorts above the knee and Top Sider's without socks has got to go.
You just spell I.T.S O.V.E.R every time you sport this ensemble. Everyone please scold your neighborhood beer-belly Hawaiian shirt wearer.

Were we sleeping during the 80's when the Kangol was happening.:) The 90's knit "scully" caps (still popular today). Now mesh trucker caps (go away soon please). In the Venice, Santa Monica area, a Wu-Tang, kind of Killing Fields hat is gaining ground. I have two. And here comes the Kangol again. Not only popular in the urban community but available at Nordstrom's, for corn's sake! and independent skate/snow shops. One thing I love about southern California is the eclectic fashion. From second-hand "thrift" syles, to punk, hip-hop and skate etc. And all these mixed and intertwined make for some very original and creative people.

I think maybe my great-uncle wore a hat similar to Tom Landry

Kangol Furgora Lahinch

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Skirts on guys are a touchy subject in these parts. In Ladysmith (pop. approx. 7000) a teenage boy decided he wanted to wear a skirt. Apparantly this thing was a cross between a schoolgirl skirt and a kilt, no big deal right? Wrong!
Well, without getting into the politics of it all, this kid was expelled, ridiculed and just made to feel ashamed in the public eye because of this.

I don't see skirts in the mainstream for a while to come yet.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I have a kilt. They are great, I would wear one every day if I could.

As far as hawaiian shirts, I like them, if they are well made. There are some reall classy ones out there as well as crap. In style or out of style I wear what I want to wear.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I wear tight spandex bike shorts? Does that count? There's a lady here at work who has admitted to me that she likes seeing us fit cyclists in our spandex shorts when she is driving.

Although typically in the summer, I'll wear baggy MTB-style bike shorts that have a lycra liner underneat. In the fall/winter where I have to wear long pants, I'll wear the spandex shorts so I can wear long tights on top of it.

Jay

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

It may be boring to you, but it saves a hell of a lot of money. Instead of having to throw out last year's "outdated" style, I get to keep it. I've always suspected that fashion has more to do with keeping clothing manufacturers financially healthy than anything else. :D

I pity the guy who allows some Hollywood nitwit to decide what's "cool" for him to wear.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Robert you hit the women's fashion industry dead on the head. I have ridiculed that point for years that that women are over a barrel and held hostage to the changes in fashion. Hem lenght here...this year... and here...next year. Spike heels in...clunky platform (even in dress shoes) the following. Although in recent years the womens industry shot themselves in the foot by changing styles too rapidly, its not uncommon at all to see wider variations in what women wear on the streets (anything goes) according to their own tastes rather than this years trend.

So in a sense I would be cursing the men with what women have to deal with or ignore for enons.

But I'm not being utterly fascias with my question. I have long thought that men of all ages and body types (thick,thin,tall,short) are flattered by the cut of a kilt. I see a grass roots sales of these items with the men who try one, - raving about the practicality and comfort of that form of dress.

...and wonder...why don't more men give it a shot..then decide?

My own husband wont' answer my query regarding this subject since I've told him I was going to purchase a utility kilt for him to try, in the past; - before I saw Brad Pitt's comment which caused me to think...why the heck not?

In no uncertain terms he says "NEVER".
He'd look good, and - according to the men that have tried it...feels great...Why are guys so resistant to change, they might like if they tried?

...and yes, hate to admit. I would find it more visually interesting. :)

According to one supplier, with a blurb about a whole roofing crew in Denver now promoting them as perfect for their industry, as regards comfort on the job.
examples of everyday uses: Found one, have to admit SOME look like skirts (not a good look on men) but many do not and look great on men!
http://www.splefty.com/Utilikilt/
(deleted till I find the proper link of everyday wear, but I have seen some...not just on movie mogels while on set/or at a formal premiere or funtion)

PS: YOU GUYS ALL SOUND LIKE MY HUSBAND ...I am serious (stamps foot)...just think how it could broaden your limited horizons!

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
Like I mentioned above.

I love my kilt. The freedom of movement and comfort it provides is amazing. Like shorts but so much better. Much more practical than pants.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This kilt talk reminds me of a "Are you BEing Served?" episode in which Mr. Lucas is trying to measure a gentlemans pant leg, while he's wearing a kilt.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

My 1 year old son and I even wear matching hawaiin shirts...

Nothing says "ME" like a really bright hawaiin shirt!

What should I do???

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
skirts? I've graduated from that. I usually just slap on a thong speedo and go about my day.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to a wedding at the end of June and I'd KILL to be able to wear something cooler than the 1,000 degree suit and tie dealy! :angry: Especially when the women are barely dressed and need the heat turned up because they're cold. :angry:

I'd love to see the new summer fashion be:

Men: Shorts and tanks
Women: Snow suits and fuzzy hats

That would make summer weddings SO much better.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I have muscular legs, but no interest in kilts or anything else. Im a simple guy, so jeans for me.

I do like alot of clothes from both Japanese and Chinese cultures though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.