What's new
World Wide Stereo

Auro 3D question (1 Viewer)

jammer134

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
I'm new to Auro 3d and thinking of upgrading to a receiver that can decode Auro 3D, like the Denon X4700H.

My question is this.. Do you need a special 4k player to transmit the Auro 3D signal to the receiver? I know with Dolby Atmos, you specifically needed the player to support Atmos. What about Auro 3D? I can't find any players that says specifically it supports Auro 3D.

Thanks in advance!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You do not need a special player for Auro 3D. Sorry I don't know more, but to the best of my knowledge Home Auro 3D is a codec for using regular 5.1 and 7.1 soundtracks and creating a more immersive experience. So, it's hard baked in the soundtrack with the few disc releases that use it. Like I said, most of the time it used with regular non-Atmos soundtracks. The speaker placement for Auro is also quite different from Atmos, so you do kind of have to set up your system for one or the other. With the advent of Atmos and DTS:X it's far more common to set up your system for those than Auro.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would not bother with Auro 3D. No movies have been released to consumers with that codec, as far as I know. Dreamworks Animation was possibly the only studio releasing films theatrically in that format, but I think they gave up after being acquired by Universal, embracing the more popular Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. Also, I believe that Auro 3D requires a professional installer for speaker placement and setup.

SVS has an interesting article on all 3 spatial audio formats:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All this stuff gets so convoluted. Now there’s IMAX Enhanced too. It’s too much to figure out.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
All this stuff gets so convoluted. Now there’s IMAX Enhanced too. It’s too much to figure out.
IMAX Enhanced hit a major setback when its primary source of content, FandangoNow, was shut down in favor of Vudu. Sony released a handful of discs in the format (essentially HDR10 and DTS:X with additional metadata that compatible TVs and receivers could read), mostly new releases, but seems to have abandoned it.

Disney has resurrected it on Disney+, so far only on select Marvel films, but has not completely implemented it yet, claiming that DTS:X is coming soon for those titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks