What's new

What are THEY saying about your HT? (1 Viewer)

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to ponder this question, especially those of us with solely dedicated Home Cinemas.

Just what DO your friends, neighbors and family have to say about your theater and investment?

Are they critical over the idea of having a luxurious theater in your abode? Are they envious? Do they they think it is "just plain frivilous" and "over the top"?

I just rememeber when my home was under construction about six years ago, my neighbor whose home was also going up, thought my designs for our media room was very cool. He being a audio/video fan and an electronics engineer was curious to my set up and ideas. He first scoffed at the idea of DTS...."There will never be but a few DVD's with DTS audio" He said.

When his home was complete, he invested in all THX certified hardware, with the exception of his Definitive Technolgy speakers and overall speaker placement. He thought the THX label gave him an advantage over my DTS system and set-up.

One day he stated..."I don't understand why people would wanna try and recreate an actual theater within there homes. I mean...after all it NOT a real theater!" I was puzzled..but kept my trap shut...as I knew that was the next evolution for our media room.

Today I am up to my elbows in getting my theater construction finished. Addition of new walls and solid doors to create a 16 by 27 foot closed sound-resistent (not sound-proof) dedicated theater room. Staged riser with cinema style seating. A 14 foot HDTV DaLite screen with Sony projection joined with 6 channel DTS:ES surround sound..and of course it goes on.

I can only wonder what my neighbor will say when it is finished. I do know that he and his wife are going to start finishing their basement this fall. Ironically, he has already told me he is considering a front projection system....oh yeah...all the DVD's he is buying lately are the DTS versions...says he will UPGRADE to DTS audio soon.

Hummmm....So what are your experiences with your visitors?

Gregory

Grip
Everyone wants to watch movies at my house rather than somewhere else. My room isn't all that big, 10x16, but with a 45"x80" FP it's really easy to get lost in a movie. When people ask how much it cost I just tell them it's the nicest thing I own. They might scoff if I told them how much I've spent, but the conversation usually ends there.

That has to be the dumbest question people ask when they see my HT. "About how much would cost for me to do this?" You know good and well you have to have a passion for this, otherwise $100 would be too much for some people. I just say enjoy it, and if your really interested I'll know and then I may be willing to share some ideas. :angry:

Rodon

Second Unit
People think I am crazy for the most part. They love to watch movies at my house though! They walk in and see the speakers and kinda give me a weird look. But when the movie starts - they forget all about their day and sit back and have true enjoyment. I look around and see the smiles and that is why I love this hobby!!

Once the new furniture arrives then they will really be in for a good time!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I don't have a dedicated HT like some ppl have, but the general reaction of friends and family is: "Wow, this sounds like a movie theater."

Then I say.. "Can a movie theater do THIS!" and I play a 20hz test tone at 100db. (I have a Tempest)

I know movie theaters can do that but it's fun to see their reaction because theaters don't rattle apart like my room.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Since I live in a relativly new subdivision the neighbors that I have kind of kept to themselves when we first moved in. After we got to know people a little better I would show them our HT. Not out of vanity but because it was a great Family project. Some thought it was overkill (7.1 set up) while others were quite impressed when they first saw our completed room. But almost everybody wanted one after the lights went down and the movie started! If asked about the cost I tell people that I'm not sure because we are not done yet. As a matter of fact I don't think anyones HT is ever 100% complete, there's always some little upgrade right around the corner. I did not spend more than I could afford, but I know I spent more than I should.

Just like I state on my HT site, it's our little slice of heaven! I enjoy it, and so do my wife and kids. Thats all that really matters in the long run.

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
All our neighbors are curious, as word has spread around the neighborhood that we have a dedicated movie theater in our basement.

Of course, everybody's kids have been over numerous times to watch movies, and they're spreading the word.

For the folks we've had over for a movie or demo, well, the're blown away by the quality.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Well, since I'm not really completely done (DARN CLOSE) I haven't had too many people check it out yet. I had a house warming when I first moved in and only had my projector up and 2 speakers. in a framed room. And everyone was like "Wow this is cool, can you watch movies and stuff?" They didn't really understand.

My neighbour has come over to help with some lifting and he likes the layout of the room (I kept it someone stylish).

My brother came down from Winnipeg and was impressed. The first time he came my projector wasn't working and he was kind of like "Wow sounds like mine, your crazy with all these big speakers, i just have cheap little ones and it sounds just as good." I scoffed and laughed. Then the second time he watched a movie and was VERY impressed. His wife said "We did the wrong thing! We should have done something like this!"

They built a rec room with a RPTV, not the same as a dedicated room!

Everyone at work that has seen pictures can't wait for the invite! It's coming soon!

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
When I tell people that I have a Home Theater, they usually think I have a widescreen TV and a couple of speakers.
But when they visit us and I open the door to the theater, and the fiberoptic stars slowly change colors, the motorized red velvet curtain pulls apart and the lights dim, their yaws just drops to the floor!:D

wally

Second Unit
How 'bout some pictures Darren?

Can't wait to reply to this thread. I hope in about a year. I had no construction skills at all, but thanks in large part to this forum, I've been collecting tools, and working my way through small projects to tackle the HT basement in 2003!

I've gotten to the point where I'm looking forward to the building as much as using after the "ribbon cutting".

Geno

Supporting Actor
I heard a friend's girlfriend say to him while he was borrowing my projector: "I can't see why anyone would want to watch a movie on something that big".

but besides that and an unapreciative roommate [whom I got rid of months ago] everyone I tell or show my HT to thinks it is very cool.

PS Darren, we may need to compare HT's

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
It's kind of funny you ask, My wife's family will not even set foot inside it. I think they are all jealous so when we have them all over which is like once a month they sit and watch the upstairs 50". Not even once have I heard "Wow now that sounds great" or any other compliment on either system.:rolleyes:Oh well I love it and that's all that counts, I built this for me. My side of the family and the neighbors seem to think it's pretty cool. I do have one neighbor that installs theaters professionally and have talked to him several times about the theater and he is yet to take the time to come over and see it. Not sure what to make of that.
Wes

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Wes:
If I were your neighbor, you would have to ask me to leave your wonderful theater!!
Its kind of sad that so many people cant feel any joy over others succes!!:frowning:

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
In defense of the professional installer who hasn't come to see your theater, I have to say I can't blame him. I do computer work, and anytime someone in the neighborhood or at Church mention computers to me, I cringe. I'm sure they don't realize that when I'm not working, the LAST thing I want to do is 'talk shop' and spend many hours giving out advice when I could be playing with my kids. I want to get away from work, not have it follow me around. I'm sure Doctors don't like to have all their friends coming up and saying "I have this boil, can you take a look?". Same probably goes for professional theater installers.

I'm not saying your trying to get free services from the guy, or anything like that. Just that maybe it's nothing personal against you, he just sees it as work following him around...

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
its not a real theater.. but what is a theater 13 dollars dinks talking a stiky floor Loud sound and a Big screen....
at home you dont have people talking can bring friends. food is cheap. if you spend money you can get a large screen also with better sound and things if you dont like you can change..

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have lots of family that have HT's but I am the only one into Front Projection. I ahve had only positive comments about that and inquiries about how much it would cost to get something like that.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I don't have a dedicated setup by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a far site better than most (40" widescreen RPTV w/ 6500K backlight, SVS sub, B&W's, carefully calibrated everything and a growing 100+ disc collection on tap). Most people say something along the lines of "wow, you're really serious about this aren't you?". Only a few have asked about the cost.

I'm itching to get into front projection, but that's going to have to wait until after I close on my new condo!

Andy_S

Second Unit
I usually get a "Cool!" when people see it. I think some of it has to do with the movie posters that are up and the arcade machine I made. I haven't gotten any negative comments yet.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Wes
I know what it's like to have in-laws who are jelous or make snide coments concerning HT. I've even had confront the mother-in-law about a comment about my HT. Oh well....

But my friends love my HT and I just helped my best friend optimize his 50" RCA RPTV that he got for "free" when he bought his house.

But right now most of my HT is boxed up...
We just bought a new house and I have not had the time to set it up... There's blinds to put up, curtains to hang, a puppy to retrain, boxes to unpack, etc....

But in my new place I have a two car garage where I can now setup my woodworking tools. Yes!!!!

projects on tap....

Finish A/V stand (pics coming soon)
Build Sub to replace sonosub
Build music only rack for dining room

But back to the original topic...
I enjoy the positive comments that I recieve..and disregard the nitpickers, I didn't compile my HT to please them or will I scale it back in response to them, but to enjoy movies with my wife, kids, and a few chosen friends.

Mark

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'm a bit hardcore, but if someone insults something in my house to my face, they are insulting me. That person wouldn't be welcome back in my theater or even my house for that matter. Manners matter, IMO.

---

BTW - one of the best comments I've received was from a workmate. Upon seeing a movie in the theater she commented, "When you said you had built a home theater I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly didn't expect this! What a fantastic room."

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks