What's new

What are THEY saying about your HT? (1 Viewer)

DaveM

Grip
I don't have the highest quality setup out there, but I get a mixed reaction from most people. My Mom and Dad, especially my Dad, loves to come over for a movie. My brother could care less while my sister will come over occassionally. A friend of mine is into this just as much as I am, but we do most of the viewings at my place now since I have the front projection and a dedicated room. My wife has a friend that just does not come over at all. Whether this is due to their two kids or something else, I don't know. They would never come over to our house when we lived in our condo. I did corner them in the theater once after we moved into this house in July, but they have yet to come back to watch anything else with us. As of last night, my room is now painted with black ceiling and dark green/blue walls. No outside light gets into the room so it really resembles a dedicated theater. My wife has one of her aunts coming down in two weeks and I just now she is going to give me grief about my theater and hobby. Maybe I should just shut and lock the door and tell her it is storage or something. I really don't want to hear her put the space down for three days. Screening LOTR tonight for my dad...can't wait since I have not watched it yet due to the painting.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Greg

I agree with your hardcore stance. I don't know why some people have a hard time with HT and feel they have to insult and complain about it. I know that the poeple who have insulted my HT would feel very indignent if I went to their house and insulted their garden. Which I know they have put alot of work and money(more than my HT) into. It is their hobby and relaxes them. Just like HT is our hobby and provides satifaction and joy for us.

mark

Don_Goreham

Agent
I know this is an old thread, but my quazi theater is relatively new and I had to chime in.

Generally people have been very responsive to my theater even if they think it may be a bit much. There were some in my family that felt I was crazy when I put my 65" Mitsubishi in my 10x13 extra bedroom. When I went the FP route people seemed to be think it wasn't as bad as the TV. I'm not sure why.

My wife, after tiring of hearing snide remarks from coworkers and neighbors, simply states, "How often do you use your ________(insert boat, RV, golf clubs, motorcycle...) and how much did it cost?" That tends to make them stop saying negative things even if they claim it's not the same.

Regardless, the people that have seen a movie with my setup, all think it's pretty cool and wish they had the space to do the same. My daughter loves it and that's the most important thing in my eyes.

later,

Don

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I nomally get "This sounds just like a theater".
I can't wait to get a popcorn and hot dog machine.
Instead of buying a car, or a ton of clothes, I buy dvds.

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds to me like most of us are getting very similar responces from people. I have a dedicated room, 7.1 set-up, 47" widescreen, 500+ dvd's, and theater seating but on a very modest budget unlike alot of you here. My room is a little less flashy than most I guess.
Anyway, I had a few friends over for the first time while having a BBQ and decided to run them through a few demos in the HT room. One said "sounds awesome", another liked the addition I had made recently of a second sub and the other said.........nothing?
I think, like alot of you have mentioned, it all comes down to you and hopefully your immedient family enjoying it together.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
I was surprised to see this tread revisted after more than a year old, especially since I am the author. Funny thing is that neighbor I was talking about STILL has not seen the Cyberdyne Cinema! He is STRICTLY forbidden from viewing until I am 100% complete! He doesn't know it yet, but he, his wife and a few of their friends will be invited to the grand premiere opening in October to watch Matrix:Reloaded. He is the biggest Matrix fan I know...so I figured I would blow him away with a special showing.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
DaveM, I think we bought the same color of paint for our theaters (see my site)!
You know one of the in-laws did eventually step into my theater, he actually brought an AC/DC DVD concert he wanted to see in the theater. I put it in, Selected DTS (I believe it was), cranked it up (over reference) nice and loud, it sounded great! Afterwards he did not even say anything what so ever!
Guess just the fact he brought his DVD over and wanted to view it here was I guess a compliment!
And my HT installer neighbor still has not come by, even when he said he could help me set up my CRT PJ!:rolleyes
Wes

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty much everyone is impressed. I live in a two bedroom apartment, with the small bedroom actually containing my bed and the larger one containing the movie room. I have a rear projection setup, so one of the first things people notice is the 108" screen on the wall. That gets the most wows. I've never had any snide comments, though some people do cringe at the price. Still.. I use it almost every single day, and really enjoy it. Can't think of anything I would have rather spent the money on :)
-Nate

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
"My god it's huge"

"That was better than the movie theater"

"The best I've seen in a private home"

"Clean"

"I bet it really cranks once you turn it up" (said after experiencing clean peaks past 100dB.)

One of my friends had to buy a new digital projector after experiencing my system. Another said he'd pay a finder's fee if I hooked him up with a CRT projector although I'll do that for free.

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
Everyone who's seen the theater (in person) is impressed. I usually get comments like: "WOW", "This is COOL" (especially teenagers), "Really FEELS like a theater", and "We need one of these". The only negative comments I've had are from people who have only "HEARD" about the theater. I've built my theater slowly and bargin hunted wherever possible, but it's still more elaborate and more expensive than the AVERAGE person would have.
Something I've learned over the years is, people spend MONEY, TIME, and ENERGY on things that interest THEM. They also think that anyone who spends MONEY, TIME and ENERGY on something they are NOT interested in is NUTS. This applies to anything: Cars ("Any car will get you from point A to point B"), Golf ("I can buy a whole set of clubs at Walmart for what you paid for that putter"), Antiques ("But it's old and used"), Etc.
Yes some folks may think we're NUTS. But as long as it's what YOU enjoy, GO FOR IT!:D

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Quote from Jaw

"Something I've learned over the years is, people spend MONEY, TIME, and ENERGY on things that interest THEM."

Yes, you are absolutely right.
You also can't judge a book by it's cover.
I might drive a conservative car but have a nice house.
I might not spend a lot on clothes but spend more on the theater.
Etc.
Your family and friends can enjoy the theater by watching movies. That's what I like about having a home theater.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
People think I am crazy for the most part.
And those same people may spend $30K on a boat they drive once a year or whatever. I have a buddy who is crazy into golf and wouldn't even blink spending a grand on a driver. People spend money on things they like, and not everyone else understands.

People who have seen the beginnings of my new theater are typically shocked, some don't quite understand, some are chomping at the bit to come and watch a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks