Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Klipsch KG4.2

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike Jensen

Mike Jensen

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted July 08 2002 - 03:18 PM

Anyboby using Klipsch KG 4.2 speakers for mains? I have a 10 year old pair that I am thinking of using in my theater room along with Klipsch surrounds and center channel. Hate to buy new pair if these will work just as well. Mike

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 06:46 AM

I don't have the 4.2's but I do have the Kg-4's. They are FANTASTIC HT speakers. You should use your 4.2's. What center channel are you planning to use with the mains? I started out with an SC-1 but I found it unable to keep up with the 4's. I bought a used KV-3 used from a guy at the Klipsch BB. It made a huge difference. I immediately noticed that the front soundstage went from weak in the center to seamless and much deeper. I've got the RS-3's for surrounds because I wanted to have WDST speakers. I don't find there to be a timbre match problem because the rears don't have to be a perfect match with the front array. SVS 20-39PCi rounds out the speaker setup.
You want to upgrade again?!!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike Jensen

Mike Jensen

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 03:27 PM

That's what I was hoping to hear! I am leaning towards the RC-7 center, RS-7 for the surrounds, RCR-5 in ceiling at rear along with an SVS sub. My father just got his SVS yesterday and likes it so far. To bad he can't crank it up until my Mother gets out of the housePosted Image

Mike

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   EarleD

EarleD

Supporting Actor

• 733 posts

Posted July 09 2002 - 11:51 PM

Mike,

I have kg 5.2's for my mains and 4.2's for my surrounds. They work great. I was using the 4.2's as my mains until just recently when I found a pair of 5.2's locally and couldnt say no. I also have SVS subs and love the combo.

I use a 2.2v as my center and love it. Try ebay for the 2.2, there always seems to be one or two there.

Check out my website for pictures of them and the rest of my HT.

If you have any other questions about them, fire away.

Here's a link for a single KG 2.2v.
Klipsch 2.2v

Earle

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts

Posted July 10 2002 - 04:14 AM

>>I am leaning towards the RC-7 center, RS-7 for the surrounds<< The RC-7 may or may not be a good choice with the 4.2's. The horns have a different timbre and it's possible that you will hear a difference across the front. You can get a used center that matches for less, probably much less, than the RC-7. I was unsure if I wanted to go used at first but now that I've heard the properly matched center I can't believe that I even considered anything else. Properly matching the center channel to the mains is really important. If I had room I'd get a single KG-4 and use that as a center. A fair number of people at the Klipsch BB do just that. The RS-7's most likely will be fine. Before I bought my RS-3's I was using a pair of KG-3's as rear surrounds. Space constraints and the wife forced me to buy wall mounted speakers. After listening to the full range 3's in the back I found that the SS-1's were not up to the task. I went with the biggest surround that Klipsch had at the time. The RS-3's are a definite improvement over the SS's but not quite as good as the 3's were. My long-winded point is that getting the biggest surrounds that you can is a good decision IMO. Good luck, and try the used route for the center!
You want to upgrade again?!!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   AnthonyMP

AnthonyMP

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 05:10 PM

I have a pair of KG4's that I was thinking of getting rid of. How do they compare to some current speakers that one would upgrade to? Is it worth it or are these pretty good speakers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users