What's new

pioneer 1014 newbie questions (1 Viewer)

David Ugan

Auditioning
Hi all, just picked this up saturday and love it!!! What a beast.....some quick stupid questions however as I'm not upgrading to 6.1 or 7.1 for awhile:

a) What's the best sound mode to use for a 5.1 setup? Neo, THX, Dolby ProIIx and the other ones seem best for 6.1 or 7.1...or am i just confused? right now, the modes i'm running are Advanced Movie, Advanced Music, Game, etc.

b)should i leave the crossover setting at 80hz?

c)also, while i'm on the subject - floorstanding speakers as rears?? anyone do this? disadvantages if any?

here's my speaker setup:

klipsch kg4.2 up front
klipsch kv3 center
two cheapy surrounds (might get the klipsch sf-2 from vanns - on sale for $400/pair!!)
JBL dual 6" subwoofer

thanks all in advance for your info!!

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
David

I prefer in the following order for 5.1 DTS, DD5.1, DPLII Movie (for two channel movies) Neo 6.

I spend quite a bit on some serious woofage. Thus, I prefer to take the strain off of my main speakers and amplifiers using the 80 hertz crossover point. My speakers have a f3 (-3 db point) of 45 hertz. A speaker that is using an 12db/octave high pass filter crossed at 80 hertz will still have a significant amount of output 1 octave below the crossover frequency (or 40 hertz). Even a floorstander can benefit from an 80 hertz crossover point.

Floorstander rears would be great, I would still recommend crossing them over at 80 hertz for the reasons stated above.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
David, I have your exact question posted over at AVS. I'm very interested in what people have been using as the manual is sometimes ambiguous.

I'm in love with this receiver so far...it's like I got a brand new HT all over again! :D

Mike Waugh

Auditioning
I have a 1014 newbie question as well:

An on-line reader review states "No second zone without giving up 7.1." Does that mean that I can connect the surround rears to speakers that are in another room? Could I then listen to music through these speakers? If so what surround settings would I use?

James Phung

Second Unit
Mike,

There's an option on the setup menu on the 1014 for the SB (surround back) output. You can choose to

1. leave it normal and use them for the 6th and 7th channels
2. use them to bi amp the fronts
3. set them for 2nd zone (this is what you want)

David Ugan

Auditioning
Yes, however, I've read on numerous posts that it sucks...this actually brings me to another question. Do most people run their video cables through their receiver as well? I used to do that but then I just started putting the video cables directly from the dvd or vcr to the tv and running only the sound through the receiver. A) why would video signals need to go through the receiver? and B) hooking up cables directly from one component to another seems more clean, i.e. the receiver would just be a middle man type of thing.......what's everyones thoughts?? is this just stupid to do?

James Phung

Second Unit
I haven't noticed any signal degradation using the component transcoding from the 1014. I run my dvd player (component), hd cable box (component), and another dvd player (composite) through the 1014.

People send their video signals through to the receiver for various reasons. For example, I'm running a projector and it only has one component input. I use the pioneer 1014 as a switch box between my dvd player and hd cable box. With the video transcoding to component, helps eliminate clutter with lots of wires everywhere. So I only have the component output from the 1014 coming into my projector. No need to have 3 or 4 different video connections coming into my projector when I can just have one from the 1014.

Although you will get best results connecting your source to your tv, using the receiver as a "middle man" for me shows no picture degradation that I can see.

David Ugan

Auditioning
excellent points and yes, i have heard these reasons before....i guess i just don't take the whole "bunch of wires" thing into account because i'm only running a dvd player into my television (no vcr, no hdtv box, etc.) so i only have one cable to deal with anyway...once i start getting more components, i guess it will make less clutter to run my receiver as the switching point....i'll tell you though, this 1014 blows my 3-year old yamaha rxv596 (i think that's what it is) away!!! (which happened to blow a left rear channel anyway and thats why i got the new pioneer)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks