What's new

Why are small flat screen TVs getting so much attention? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Do small, flat screen TVs have component video input? Is that why so many people are talking about them? Or is it more a matter of the flat screen itself?

If the price was the same, I would get a flat screen. But it seems like there is a $200 or more premium for the flat screen.

For the same $200 you can go from a 27 inch to at least a 32 inch. To me, the larger picture has much more impact than the flat screen.

Am I missing something on this issue?

Thanks

Artie

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Artie,
For picture image, flat screen is definitely the way to go. Whether its worth the extra cost and weight is up to the consumer. Personally, I thought there was nothing wrong with the old Sony Trinitron sets with curvature in the long direction. You may not have a choice soon, as most of the major manufacturer's (i.e. Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba) seem to be going flat screen. Even the 2nd Tier manufacturers are producing flat screen models (i.e. Sharp, Sampo, Daewoo, Samsung)... how else are they going to maintain prices at their current levels? You may have to sacrifice image quality with non-flat sets being produced by low-cost manufacturers (if you want Sony color balance and sharpness, you may have to buy flat).

The weight of direct-view sets over 27" is no longer manageable...I'm waiting for plasma prices to drop!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Stephen

Very good point about maintaining a profitable price by way of the flat screen.

Bob and Steve

Thanks for confirming the video input question.

It seems to me that with 27 inch sets or smaller, component video input for progressive scan DVD is not that big an issue. Unless you are within about 4 feet, I don't think you can see the scan lines.

I guess what I am forgetting is that the people on forums like this are enthuiasts and flat screen is an upgrade they are willing to pay for. Also, some people are looking for a second or third set for the bedroom. Otherwise, larger screens seem to be the focus of much of the TV discussion.

I use a 35 inch line doubled tube that has about as much curvature as you can get. I would have preferred a flatter tube, but that was part of the package on the ProScan line doubled set. When it dies, I will get a flat screen, perhaps the 40 inch 4:3 XBR 800 tube or a larger RPTV.

Thanks

Artie

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Artie,
I just posted for recommendations on Sony Wega vs Panasonic Tau PureFlat... after some research on Audioreview, there have been some complaints about geometry on these flat screens. Something to keep in mind for your future upgrade.

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 27" flat screen for the bedroom because it was the biggest tv I could have possibly fit (my house has small bedrooms). I have a 32" in the living room (non-flat) and I agree that while the screen size gives you more impact, the flat screen does give you better clarity ( both tv's have component inputs and do he anamorphic squeeze) My 5.1 system is better in the living room so if it is movie with good sound I tend to watch it there, but otherwise it is a toss up depending on my mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks