What's new

New record for broken street date? (2 Viewers)

Patrick G

Second Unit
I just picked up Pearl Harbor: Vista Series Director's Cut this afternoon from my local B&M. This is about a month early, no?

Mark H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hyland
Patrick,
Can you comment on this director's cut? Is it an improvement on the original?

Wes C

Supporting Actor
WOW! Thats really early. I thought I was special when I found Boondock Saints a week early. Congrats.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A month? Ha! That's no record!
I picked up Dirty Dancing: Collector's Edition on 11/6/99. I'd already seen it on their shelf for a week.
It's street date was 1/18/00.
Of course, I won't be specific about street-date breakers, even ones from years ago. But I will say that I bought it at a department store type place that also sells groceries (think hard about it, there's not too many choices here). I also saw it for sale the same week at a mall-based music/movie store chain.
How Artisan shipped these items to these chains 2½ MONTHS prior to the established street date is beyond me! :eek:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've been hitting my local breakers for Black Hawk Down, no luck yet.
Peace Out~:D

Patrick G

Second Unit
Well, I ended up holding out for this edition, so I didn't have a chance to look at the previous DVD. However I will be watching either tonight or tomorrow. I'll report back then. Great packaging though!

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Me too! I was just at my local B&M last night and found Pearl Harbor Vista Series Directors Cut. Unfortunately, I don't care one bit about even watching the film, so I passed... However, there were no less than 20 copies sitting there for all to have :)

Patrick G

Second Unit
It's interesting. When I first saw pics of the DVD, I thought it would open up as it appears it would here Link Removed, by unfolding the front flaps, but this is just an outer slip case which covers the actual disc packaging, which looks identical to the slip cover. The inside packaging does indeed open up as expected. One thing I don't particularly like is that the DVDs are all housed together in a single pocket, which is covered by a vintage-looking seal that must be broken or removed in order to get to the discs. It is the first DVD I've ever purchased though that has an actual elastic band with brass buckle, which holds a few vintage postcards. I paid $28.88.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for the DC to watch this film for the first time. It's a great price for such an expansive edition. I presume the DC is better than the theatrical, but if anyone can comment on that, I'd be very happy.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Question...My GF works at a store in the chain that is known to be selling this Pearl Harbor early. I'd like to ask her to pick up a copy for me. But I don't know how, exactly, to describe it to her. Now keep in mind, although she likes movies, it's not on the same scale as you or I or anyone else here. So I'll need to be very precise in telling her what to get, so she doesn't get the wrong thing. So please tell me what to tell her. In fact, the best thing would be if someone who already has this can give me the UPC code, and a box description including exact titling. Thanks! :)
(Feel free to send this info to me privately, if you prefer.)

DarrenA

Second Unit
Justin,
Here's a pic from the Digital Bits showing the front cover...

It's clear that if it says Director's Cut and Vista Series then this is the new edition.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
OK, thanks! One thing I forgot to ask: At this particular place that seems to be selling it already, what is the approximate price?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OK, thanks! One thing I forgot to ask: At this particular place that seems to be selling it already, what is the approximate price?
:confused: See post #8.
And judging by that rather odd number, it's not hard to figure out which store it is.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Thanks. I skimmed through looking for the price, but didn't see it originally. I agree, the cents should be a pretty good clue to the place, but I already knew it anyway (that's how I could say my GF works there).

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Anyone know what happened to the original thread? If it got combined, where did all the posts from there go?

Doug

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I received Before Sunrise a full eight months before its November 2001 release date from Amazon. I still haven't figured that one out; I was just searching for titles to push me over the $100 limit for a coupon I had, and that was one of the ones I searched for. It must have gotten pulled and rescheduled not long after my order was placed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks