What's new

New record for broken street date? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Probably zero, because they'll say "Store X" and "Store X.com" are separate entities and are not bound to sell the same merchandise at the same price from both sources.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
To return this thread somewhere close to on topic, can someone explain to me the utility of street dates? It certainly doesn't matter to the studios: a sale, is a sale is a sale whether it is before of after the street date.

I can understand the desire to level the playing field among retailers, but as street dates routinely broken, especially by some big chains that one would expect to have an advantage anyway if street dates did not exist, that too seems like a non-reason.

I think they should just replace them with a "suggested retail date" which would mean "start selling no later than", much in the way a "suggested retail price" works. ("sell no higher than").

Ted

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I have checked 5 stores. Two of them being 30 mins from my house. And still I cannot find a copy of this movie. I am really, really looking forward to this DVD set. I'm gonna keep on checkin', hopefully I'll get lucky.

DarrenA

Second Unit
Jonathan,

Please edit your post to remove the store name. It is against forum policy to list a store's name that breaks street date to release a movie early.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

Please, Please, Please do not list store
names that break street date.

This is for YOUR benefit, not the studios.

We actually enjoy getting releases early,
and trust me, by naming stores and locations
in this thread is the same thing as calling
the studios directly and giving them all
the information they need to make sure that
store doesn't do it again.

Thanks

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Yes, it was YANG's thread. And yes, it looks like some posts inside were deleted. Maybe just a glitch?

And I always thought of street dates as a necessary evil. Re-releases like this one shouldn't be held to a street date, when they ship, put them out!

For a new release I can understand.

Doug

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Doug,

Looks like we had a ghost in the machine to be sure rgarding that original thread. :-/

Dan

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Guys I'm sorry for putting the name in the thread. I knew not to, but I didn't pay attention to what I typed. Sorry for any problems this caused.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
There are probably several reasons for street dates. One is to make sure the movie is completely out of theaters. There are some theaters (at least around me, don't know about you) that specialize in showing stale movies at a discounted ticket price. These are movies that debuted and had a regular theater run, then left the main theaters after interest waned.
Another reason is that a movie released in the USA usually has a later release overseas. The studios do not want the home video release to be out before the movie even gets to the theaters in other countries. With DVDs and region codes, this isn't as much of an issue, but video tapes do not have that protection.
Probably an important reason for a street date is so that every store starts selling the movie at the same time. This way, the studios can track the popularity of the movie's home release (statistics like the particular movie sold one million copies the first week or whatever, similar to the way that with theatrical releases, they tell you how many millions of dollars the movie made its first weekend).

Mark E J

Second Unit
I have a question for Doug or Marty or anyone who has seen the film. Is there any new scenes in the attack sequence covering more aspects of the battle? Like shots of the USS Nevada or the B-17's arriving?

Also does the extra gore include any burn victims? One of the things that always seemed to ring false about the PG-13 cut was the lack of any burn victims since there were so many that day.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Veering slightly off-topic, I wanted to mention that my screener copy of the "PH" director's cut arrived today. That means that plenty of reviews should appear soon! This 4-DVD package and "The Simpsons" season two on the same day, and I STILL need to work through the "Rambo" boxed set - not... enough... time...

Kevin Linke

Agent
So to all those who have the Vista, does the set look awsome? I mean it has to because it is Michael Bay and David Prior. Do the menues look good also? How about the package, does it look as good as the pictures of it? Well, I hope this set is as good as I believe it will be.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DVD File has their review up. Apparently, this "Director's Cut" is a whopping 90 seconds longer than the prior DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks