Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Enterprise 1/05/02

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 03:20 AM

Well, after a few mediocre episodes, we get a stylish, well-done episode. It didn't have anything to say, but it said it well. I especially liked Roxanne Dawson's direction, such as the shots of the alien moving through the ship which were quite reminiscent of certain parts of Panic Room. As well, the first 20 minutes, which was all exposition, was quite well done. It just seemed like another day on Enterprise. As well, the scene between Phlox and Reed in sick bay was well directed, with the reverse dollying shots of each side of the conversation. Also, Phlox once again proves that he's the best thing on the show when examining the tendril: his short exchange with the tendril as it tried to attach itself to him was priceless, and a well-needed tension breaker.

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 03:57 AM

Mark, believe it or not, I was so tired last night I had hit the sack at the early hour of eight o'clock! Had I not been so burnt by the previous week's episode, I might have made an effort to hold back my sleep. Unfortunately, a sense of Voyager-like dread has set in for me. That's how badly last week's absolute disaster of an episode rattled my confidence in the series--and in the franchise. Voyager came this close to making me give up on any further new adventures from the franchise.

So, I am happy to read your comments here. I am looking forward to seeing Sunday's "encore presentation."

And I am really looking forward to our post-season post-mortem of this first year of Enterprise.

#3 of 29 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,552 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 05:07 AM

In case anyone here cares, Brannon Braga is interviewed in the latest issue of Star Trek Magazine and he discusses the first season of Enterprise.

I considered him the personification of evil during the Next Gen days when he made the comment that he never saw Classic Trek before. But he made up for it in later years by explaining that comment. Still, I cast a suspicious eye towards him.

I liked last night segment as well, Alien on Enterprise. The end was nice.

Nelson

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 05:12 AM

Was there some kind of continuity weirdness in last nights episode? The web absorbed 4 people. But the second person to be absorbed, the woman, was no where to be seen for the rest of the episode.

Maybe the actress freaked out about being encased in goop. In any case it was odd that she vanished but the first guy to get taken was still fine.

Altogether an ok episode, but kind of slow.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 05:57 AM

Jack,

I wouldn't get your hopes up to high. It was well done but completely boring. Another example of having a good process but no engaging content.

I spent most of the show groaning and having Voyager hallucinations. I started to wonder why I was bothering? Why I had even kept up with a show that has rarely if ever equaled or surpassed it's opening.

It's funny how Enterprise is running into all this stuff so close to home that Kirk and Picard never ran into.

Am I still hallucinating or does Archer get more Janeway'ish every episode? Maybe I just enjoy Kirk's approach to much.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 07:29 AM

Andrew Beacom wrote:

Quote:
Jack, I wouldn't get your hopes up to[o] high. It was well done but completely boring. Another example of having a good process but no engaging content.

I swear it was essentially a remake of some Voyager episode (or two)(like "Demon" (#94-4x24)): Nonhumanoid alien slips aboard ship. Alien seems to threaten crew. Alien only needs understanding. Voila! See, it only wants to go home. Federation ship takes alien home and lets it rejoin its happy family. Universal understanding across species. All is well. Joy! Joy! Joy!

Well, at least they played up the translator's role a bit and the presentation of the communication didn't spill too far over into the incredible (although it was still too simplistic). And the parting shot of the planet looked good, reasonably good effects (unlike a lot of the CGI stuff on the program, including the ship).

Not offensive, but not great either.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Paul E. Fox, II

Paul E. Fox, II

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 07:42 AM

Regardless of those who look for reasons not to like the show, I thought this one was one of the best so far. The music, the editing, the work being done by different parts of the crew in different areas of the ship, the fact that we actually INTERACT a bit with members of the crew who don't make it into the Main Title every week...I could go on. I kept feeling tension throughout the entire episode!

I also think the Dr. Phlox is fantastic but Malcolm also holds my attention pretty well. It seems he's got a bit of Klingon in himPosted Image He tends to shoot first and ask questions later!

At any rate, I was a Voyager fan as well, and I'm a really serious Trekker, so I'm in no matter what!
Regards,
Paul

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 07:57 AM

I'm probably just about as serious as you are, Paul--but Voyager not once during its entire seven-year run held my interest. It was a chore to sit through episodes. No offense.

Enterprise bolted out the gate in September, and charged strong until spring when it started to sputter and finally stumble--all much to my chagrin. So sad.

Interesting range of opinions here. Any others?

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 07:58 AM

Paul E. Fox, II wrote:

Quote:
. . . The music, . . . . .

Ah, yes, I forgot to point out how excellent the little violin(?)-accompanied piece was. Perhaps the strings were used to convey the crew members' sensations as they were being swathed ever tighter in the creature's tendrils?
In any event, an excellent piece and a great relief from the all too usual Rick Berman-mandated "canned heroic" muzak.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 10:16 AM

>>
I considered him the personification of evil during the Next Gen days when he made the comment that he never saw Classic Trek before. But he made up for it in later years by explaining that comment. Still, I cast a suspicious eye towards him.
>>

If that's the case, then why is he in charge of a frnachise he obviously dosn't care very much about?

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 10:17 AM

Oh dear, that would have made a good ten minute episode. Pure Voyager.

We had transparent slugs on Angel too. Must be an SFX sale on or something.

And isn't it amazing what Star Trek crewmen can invent in a short amount of time? This week, a translation program tailored to high powered mathematics (goodness only knows what the equation is for "something simple" like "What do you want?"), and, oh yes, a forcefield generator.

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted May 02 2002 - 12:31 PM

The episode was neither here nor there, to me. It had some really good stuff, like the supporting cast focus, which brought out some of the only true uniqueness this series has; it provided a good scenario for TNG-style of "pressure-invention;" and had a non-humanoid alien with decent effects.

On the other hand, it had the "all-is-better-now" ending which plauged Voyager, and the re-hash feel was prominent. For me, who saw only 60% of voyager episodes, it reminded me of a neudered crystaline-entity rehash from TNG. Had the plot been more severe or had a bigger scope, it might have been even closer rehash, but also would have been a better episode top to bottom.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I have a feeling, though, that there will be better writing and more risks in seasons to come; I get the impression that this season is trying to hit the broadest audience possible in an effort to find it's legs. If the ratings give it its legs, I think the more creative gates will open up.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 01:53 AM

Quote:
Was there some kind of continuity weirdness in last nights episode? The web absorbed 4 people. But the second person to be absorbed, the woman, was no where to be seen for the rest of the episode.

She passed out shortly after being taken by the creature.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 03:13 AM

Hm, same here.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 03:49 AM

I enjoyed it.

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Paul E. Fox, II

Paul E. Fox, II

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 03:05 PM

Jack,

Sorry dude, I get a little overtaken by Trek sometimesPosted Image!

Now, back to the thread already in progress!
Regards,
Paul

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 03:21 PM

Finally got around to watching this week's episode, and I was not impressed with this episode either.

Watching Mayweather apologize to the Cardisians has to be one of the more painful bits I've ever seen on a ST show.

I ran out of eyeballs rolling them in my head at some of the development in this episode (the forcefield development being one of them, and then the teaming up of T'Pol and Hoshi on advanced calculus in breaking "the code").

We need more Porthros.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 04:15 PM

Patrick Sun wrote:

Quote:
We need more Porthros.

The series "gone to the dogs" already?
"Delenda est . . . . "

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 04:20 PM

I just love Porthros, and I'm not really a dog person, but he's got the right look and demeanor.

I think it'd be hilarious if the gravity drive went out and they cut to a shot of Porthros floating around in Archer's quarters.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted May 03 2002 - 10:29 PM

Inadvertently doing what, I wonder? Posted Image

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow