What's new

Enterprise 1/05/02 (1 Viewer)

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Well, after a few mediocre episodes, we get a stylish, well-done episode. It didn't have anything to say, but it said it well. I especially liked Roxanne Dawson's direction, such as the shots of the alien moving through the ship which were quite reminiscent of certain parts of Panic Room. As well, the first 20 minutes, which was all exposition, was quite well done. It just seemed like another day on Enterprise. As well, the scene between Phlox and Reed in sick bay was well directed, with the reverse dollying shots of each side of the conversation. Also, Phlox once again proves that he's the best thing on the show when examining the tendril: his short exchange with the tendril as it tried to attach itself to him was priceless, and a well-needed tension breaker.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mark, believe it or not, I was so tired last night I had hit the sack at the early hour of eight o'clock! Had I not been so burnt by the previous week's episode, I might have made an effort to hold back my sleep. Unfortunately, a sense of Voyager-like dread has set in for me. That's how badly last week's absolute disaster of an episode rattled my confidence in the series--and in the franchise. Voyager came this close to making me give up on any further new adventures from the franchise.

So, I am happy to read your comments here. I am looking forward to seeing Sunday's "encore presentation."

And I am really looking forward to our post-season post-mortem of this first year of Enterprise.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In case anyone here cares, Brannon Braga is interviewed in the latest issue of Star Trek Magazine and he discusses the first season of Enterprise.

I considered him the personification of evil during the Next Gen days when he made the comment that he never saw Classic Trek before. But he made up for it in later years by explaining that comment. Still, I cast a suspicious eye towards him.

I liked last night segment as well, Alien on Enterprise. The end was nice.

Nelson

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Was there some kind of continuity weirdness in last nights episode? The web absorbed 4 people. But the second person to be absorbed, the woman, was no where to be seen for the rest of the episode.

Maybe the actress freaked out about being encased in goop. In any case it was odd that she vanished but the first guy to get taken was still fine.

Altogether an ok episode, but kind of slow.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Jack,

I wouldn't get your hopes up to high. It was well done but completely boring. Another example of having a good process but no engaging content.

I spent most of the show groaning and having Voyager hallucinations. I started to wonder why I was bothering? Why I had even kept up with a show that has rarely if ever equaled or surpassed it's opening.

It's funny how Enterprise is running into all this stuff so close to home that Kirk and Picard never ran into.

Am I still hallucinating or does Archer get more Janeway'ish every episode? Maybe I just enjoy Kirk's approach to much.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Andrew Beacom wrote:
Jack, I wouldn't get your hopes up to[o] high. It was well done but completely boring. Another example of having a good process but no engaging content.
I swear it was essentially a remake of some Voyager episode (or two)(like "Demon" (#94-4x24)): Nonhumanoid alien slips aboard ship. Alien seems to threaten crew. Alien only needs understanding. Voila! See, it only wants to go home. Federation ship takes alien home and lets it rejoin its happy family. Universal understanding across species. All is well. Joy! Joy! Joy!
Well, at least they played up the translator's role a bit and the presentation of the communication didn't spill too far over into the incredible (although it was still too simplistic). And the parting shot of the planet looked good, reasonably good effects (unlike a lot of the CGI stuff on the program, including the ship).
Not offensive, but not great either.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Regardless of those who look for reasons not to like the show, I thought this one was one of the best so far. The music, the editing, the work being done by different parts of the crew in different areas of the ship, the fact that we actually INTERACT a bit with members of the crew who don't make it into the Main Title every week...I could go on. I kept feeling tension throughout the entire episode!
I also think the Dr. Phlox is fantastic but Malcolm also holds my attention pretty well. It seems he's got a bit of Klingon in him:) He tends to shoot first and ask questions later!
At any rate, I was a Voyager fan as well, and I'm a really serious Trekker, so I'm in no matter what!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably just about as serious as you are, Paul--but Voyager not once during its entire seven-year run held my interest. It was a chore to sit through episodes. No offense.

Enterprise bolted out the gate in September, and charged strong until spring when it started to sputter and finally stumble--all much to my chagrin. So sad.

Interesting range of opinions here. Any others?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Paul E. Fox, II wrote:

. . . The music, . . . . .
Ah, yes, I forgot to point out how excellent the little violin(?)-accompanied piece was. Perhaps the strings were used to convey the crew members' sensations as they were being swathed ever tighter in the creature's tendrils?

In any event, an excellent piece and a great relief from the all too usual Rick Berman-mandated "canned heroic" muzak.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>

I considered him the personification of evil during the Next Gen days when he made the comment that he never saw Classic Trek before. But he made up for it in later years by explaining that comment. Still, I cast a suspicious eye towards him.

>>

If that's the case, then why is he in charge of a frnachise he obviously dosn't care very much about?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Oh dear, that would have made a good ten minute episode. Pure Voyager.

We had transparent slugs on Angel too. Must be an SFX sale on or something.

And isn't it amazing what Star Trek crewmen can invent in a short amount of time? This week, a translation program tailored to high powered mathematics (goodness only knows what the equation is for "something simple" like "What do you want?"), and, oh yes, a forcefield generator.

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
The episode was neither here nor there, to me. It had some really good stuff, like the supporting cast focus, which brought out some of the only true uniqueness this series has; it provided a good scenario for TNG-style of "pressure-invention;" and had a non-humanoid alien with decent effects.

On the other hand, it had the "all-is-better-now" ending which plauged Voyager, and the re-hash feel was prominent. For me, who saw only 60% of voyager episodes, it reminded me of a neudered crystaline-entity rehash from TNG. Had the plot been more severe or had a bigger scope, it might have been even closer rehash, but also would have been a better episode top to bottom.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I have a feeling, though, that there will be better writing and more risks in seasons to come; I get the impression that this season is trying to hit the broadest audience possible in an effort to find it's legs. If the ratings give it its legs, I think the more creative gates will open up.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Was there some kind of continuity weirdness in last nights episode? The web absorbed 4 people. But the second person to be absorbed, the woman, was no where to be seen for the rest of the episode.
She passed out shortly after being taken by the creature.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to watching this week's episode, and I was not impressed with this episode either.

Watching Mayweather apologize to the Cardisians has to be one of the more painful bits I've ever seen on a ST show.

I ran out of eyeballs rolling them in my head at some of the development in this episode (the forcefield development being one of them, and then the teaming up of T'Pol and Hoshi on advanced calculus in breaking "the code").

We need more Porthros.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just love Porthros, and I'm not really a dog person, but he's got the right look and demeanor.

I think it'd be hilarious if the gravity drive went out and they cut to a shot of Porthros floating around in Archer's quarters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks