-

Photo

So . . . any guesses as to what major movie Ron will be posting tonight?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

#1 of 84 Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 02:26 AM

Star Wars?
Spidey?
TTT? Well, I'm pretty sure its not that one. Posted Image
"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

#2 of 84 DonRoeber

DonRoeber

Screenwriter

• 1,851 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 02:32 AM

I'm betting on Spidey.
Luckily, right at that moment, an unconscious Argentinean fell through my roof.

He was quickly joined by a dwarf dressed as a nun.

#3 of 84 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 02:40 AM

Spider-Man. I notice the banner changed from "the very first" to "one of the first" after AICN linked to a Spider-Review yesterday. Posted Image
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 84 John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 02:45 AM

Quote:
Spider-Man. I notice the banner changed from "the very first" to "one of the first" after AICN linked to a Spider-Review yesterday

Very perceptive, good call!

#5 of 84 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 02:51 AM

yes, even before that it was pretty obviously Spider Man. What else is coming out that warrents that sort of attention. It's too soon for AOTC.

#6 of 84 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 03:01 AM

Spider-Man has advance screenings tonight in New York, so it's fairly certain Ron will be posting a review of it.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#7 of 84 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,977 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted April 10 2002 - 03:29 AM

Ron has already mentioned it in the Spider-Man thread...it's Spidey!

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#8 of 84 kevin_asai

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 06:34 AM

Spiderman Posted Image

#9 of 84 Micheal

Micheal

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 07:10 AM

WOOHOO!

I hope it turns out to be great!Posted Image
BLAM!
Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

#10 of 84 Ryan Jameson

Ryan Jameson

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 08:15 AM

Just curious... do people here trust Ron's reviews? I mean, he did give The Grinch 4 stars. I really haven't payed much attention to his reviews ever since.

#11 of 84 Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 08:18 AM

Spider-man! I was going to say it before I read any of the responses Posted Image.

Now, on the subject of Ron's reviews...well, he's given good movies (imo) good reviews, and he's given bad movies (imo) good reviews. So, that's how it is. In any event, you always want to rely on multiple reviews to get a consensus on a film anyways, so read Ron's, then read someone else's, then someone else's, etc. then decide what you think.

-Tom

#12 of 84 Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 08:18 AM

Everyone's own opinion is certainly valid, but after reading Ron's views on K-Pax (which he found mildly entertaining) and Ali (which he enjoyed immensely) our opinions don't jive.

The only critic who seems to have the same taste as me is Entertainment Weekly's Owen Gleiberman.

#13 of 84 Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 08:26 AM

The only critic I ever agree with is HTF's own Scotty Weinberg Posted Image. And Roger Ebert. And James Berardinelli.

Actually, no critic ever completely jives with my own opinions, but those three seem to jive with me more often than not. I actually liked Resident Evil and South Park though, which is more than can be said for Ebert Posted Image.

I'm greatly anticipating Ron's Spidey review though!
Mark Evans

"I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead."
- Gabriel Knight

#14 of 84 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 08:30 AM

Quote:
do people here trust Ron's reviews?

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I read one. I don't know if he's still bragging about how he doesn't put too much thought into them, but he tended to use the "if you liked ..." too much (is their a lazier tool for a reviewer than that phrase?), as well as the infamous Armageddon review which basically said "if only Deep Impact hadn't tried to be good."
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#15 of 84 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
Just curious... do people here trust Ron's reviews? I mean, he did give The Grinch 4 stars. I really haven't payed much attention to his reviews ever since.

If you stop reading reviews by a critic because you don't agree with one review you'll quickly run out of critics to turn to!

Gotta give a critic a chance. Track him for 10 movies or so. If you still find yourself opposing him more often than not then you know you no longer need to read his stuff.

OTOH - if you usually disagree with a critic it's a great way to determine whether or not you'll like the movie!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#16 of 84 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 09:31 AM

I tend to agree with Jack Matthews from the NY Daily News

--
Holadem

#17 of 84 Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 09:52 AM

It's a good sign that Columbia Tri-Star has enough confidence in 'Spiderman' to screen it to critics almost a month prior release. If they thought it was going to be poorly reviewed, I suspect there would be no pre-screenings. Especially with so much time before the official opening date, as any negative feedback could really snowball and harm the film's box office take.

Can't wait to get Ron's take.

#18 of 84 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 10:06 AM

I read Ron's reviews when they are for major releases like Spider-Man", and if the review is one if the first ones. I'm looking forward to this review.

Otherwise I don't read them, he's not a very good writer IMO (sorry Posted Image).

/Mike
/Mike

#19 of 84 Terrell

Terrell

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 10:24 AM

DAMN! You guys are just banging on the owner of this forum. I like Ron's reviews. I tend to agree with him quite often.

#20 of 84 Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted April 10 2002 - 10:36 AM

WARNING! Some of you are bordering on making personal attacks with your condemnations about Ron's reviews. Which first of all strikes me as rather stupid. Please be careful how you are wording your replies.

Forum Nav Content I Follow