What's new

So . . . any guesses as to what major movie Ron will be posting tonight? (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I like Ron's reviews, he really explains why he liked/disliked the movie and that's all I ask for.
To be honest, I can't remember the last time I read one. I don't know if he's still bragging about how he doesn't put too much thought into them, but he tended to use the "if you liked ..." too much (is their a lazier tool for a reviewer than that phrase?), as well as the infamous Armageddon review which basically said "if only Deep Impact hadn't tried to be good."
:rolleyes
Why don't you guys start up your own Forum so you can write your own reviews if you think you can do a better job.
:D

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Uh, the issue here is not the quality of OUR reviews, but the quality of RON'S reviews. Why is it that some people think that nothing should be criticized unless the critic could fashion a better work? A response like that indicates poor knowledge of true criticism...anyways, I don't think Ron is a very good writer either. Has he ever claimed to be? He's a nice guy, and he runs a great site. I'm really grateful for the excellent environment he provides for home theater enthusiasts, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be free to respectfully speak our minds.

-Tom

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Tom, I just found that some of the comments were bordering on insulting, but, to each their own.
I'll let the Admins handle this...
Take care.
And Ron, keep them coming!:emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Well, Micheal, you may be right about that. Sorry if I reacted rashly, it just really steams me whenever someone whips out the old "let's see you do it better" argument :D.
-Tom

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
For the record, I usually don't agree with Ron's reviews, but Ron probably wouldn't agree with mine all of the time either.
So which one of us is right, and which one is wrong??
Everyone has different tastes and opinions.
This board is simply a tool to express them, and no one's opinion is any more correct than anyone else's.
Well, accept when I said that The Blair Witch Project sucked more than anything has a right to suck!!!! :D
But, some of these posts do seem to be bordering on personal attacks, rather than expression of differing points of view.
I give my post :star: :star: :star: :star: and :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
But I'm sure some of you will disagree. ;)

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
Well...I totally agreed with Ron's review of Star Wars: TPM. That's the only review I ever read of his but it was a very anticipated movie among the members here and turned out to be accurate...to me anyway.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Look, guys, all we ask is that we all be respectful of everyone here, regardless of their "status. Please remember that behind most of these names are humans with feelings and aspirations. If someone's taste in film doesn't jive with yours on a consistent basis, take that into account when/if you read their reviews, but there is no point in tearing people down for giving their opinions on films. Films mean different things to different people.

It wouldn't hurt to offer some constructive criticism on how to better express one's review/opinion on films. Just calling someone "a bad writer" is a pretty lazy assessment in of itself.

So, please just be courteous to one another because we are all here because we share a love for films, and that shouldn't be the catalyst for tearing each other down.

Philip Klein

Stunt Coordinator
I like Ron's reviews, theatrical or DVD. In fact, he sold me on getting the ST:TNG season 1 collection which I had decided that I could live without. All those pics are seductive. I look forward to his Spider-Man review tonight

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Tonight's SPIDERMAN screenings are not for press & media ; they are for exhibitors and industry types and their families. Professional reviews are not likely to surface for a while yet. Most of the press will see the film at press screenings set for later this month.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I think Ron does a nice job. I read all of his reviews of movies I am interested in. He is honest about why he does or does not like a movie, and he states it bluntly. He is not trying to "wow" you with his big vocabulary and use of the english language. I get tired of reading critics that do that. Just give me the review, don't try to turn a movie critic into an art form.

The beauty of the forum is that you can disagree with his review (constructively) and post your thoughts right below his review! Most critics don't give you that opportunity.

Ron seems to like most of the movies he sees. That isn't a bad thing! I am the same way. But you should know that before buying a DVD sight-unseen based solely on the fact that he liked the movie.

I'm really looking forward to his review of Spider-Man.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
LOL, some of you guys are crazy!
I think Ron and I have the same taste in movies and we love just being there and experiencing it all.
I LOVED the Grinch and agree totally with Ron's "Review" of it.
I have also shared in his excitement about other movies and will take his review as nothing more than it is, his personal experience.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gee, guys -- I am totally flattered by

some of these comments.

I don't think I have any response to

give other than this has been fun reading.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I just read your review Ron and you got me jazzed to see it. The movie opens on my birthday so I know what I will be seeing early on:)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Hey Jeremiah,

My birthday is on the 3rd also. I told my boss that I'd be taking that day off to celebrate my b-day with the family and he told me that he knew better. He knows I'm a big Spiderman fan.

Angel

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I rarely agree with Ron, but other times we have agreed exactly (I enjoyed Grinch myself for whatever reasons).

The key is simply to get to know a critic so that you can evaluate their opinions and apply them to your own.

Ron is working hard to get a first or early review up about films we are excited to hear about and that's a cool thing I think.

For the record Ron was one of the first to warn people on Phantom Menace with a review that I unfortunately ended up agreeing with.

But saying "If you don't like it start your own website" is the same as me saying to Ron "If you don't like the film make your own." That's rather ridiculous.

Ron's claim to fame is not movie or disc reviews, his claim to fame is putting a shitload of effort and enthusiasm to create a FORUM where other very knowledgable people can share info with one another.

So a good/bad Spiderman review by him is fine when you consider the hundreds of comments about films in the Movies forum, which include threads on art films you might miss that are good, lists of top films for the year, and alpha lists of movie reviews for hundreds of films by many people....all thanks to Ron and Parker.

I consider his reviewing as a side project that progresses naturally out of running a site like this and HTF gives him the space to try it out. I think he's earned that right and really I don't hear anyone in this thread saying otherwise.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I think he's earned that right and really I don't hear anyone in this thread saying otherwise.
I didnt hear anyone saying anything that resembled that. Ron can put up a collage of self nude photos for all I care, if someone doesn't like Ron's reviews, here's a hint, DONT READ THEM.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I'd also like to chime in here and say that I have read a bunch of Ron's reviews the last couple of years, and while I don't always agree with them, I AM extremely jealous that he gets to see some of these really great films before the majority of us (as in ME!) :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks