-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

: ( Disappointed. No DTS on the Black Hawk Down DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 of 66 T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 12:54 PM

According to the DVDFile.com website, there will be no DTS on the upcoming Black Hawk Down DVD Posted Image

Who will not buy this version because it does not have DTS? Are you going to wait for a possible Superbit version to be released to get your DTS for this film?

Troy
Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power
Mitsibishi HC-1500Klipsch KLF20Klipsch KLFC7Klipsch KSP-S6Velodyne F-1800XR

#2 of 66 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,466 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:00 PM

Having not heard the Dolby Digital version yet, I think it's a bit premature to decry the lack of a DTS track.

- Steve

#3 of 66 T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:04 PM

I can't understand it. Now that Columbia is supporting DTS, we get no DTS on this incredible movie called Black Hawk Down. We all know the extra benefit this would be in the sound department for a film like this.

Are we to wait til a Superbit or SE of this film comes out later in the year in hopes of a DTS track?
Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power

#4 of 66 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:09 PM

Since Ridley is an ardent DTS supporter, I would guess that it was a space issue

EDIT: Looking at the specs, and the fact that Charlie DeLauzerika(sp?) has talked about the cool stuff he's working on, I smell SE this fall

#5 of 66 Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:10 PM

Just remember thta Star Wars: Episode I doesn't have DTS and it sounds freakin' amazing!! I'm sure that BHD will too sound just fine in DD5.1. I'm not worried at all!
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

#6 of 66 Greg_Y

Greg_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:12 PM

Quote:
We all know the extra benefit this would be in the sound department for a film like this.

We do?

#7 of 66 Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:14 PM

Posted Image

Yup. No DTS.

#8 of 66 MichaelPe

MichaelPe

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:19 PM

Disappointed? Yes. But I won't let that affect my decision. This is one of my favorite films of the year, and I'll still purchase it.

#9 of 66 T r o y

T r o y

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:22 PM

I'm holding out til a Superbit or SE is released and hopefully it will have a DTS track on it. Til then, nope not budging ! Posted Image
Outlaw 750 5 CH AMP
Yamaha DSP-A1
Sony BDP-S550
Monster Power

#10 of 66 DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 01:30 PM

Yes, looking at the specs for this Black Hawk Down DVD release, it's quite clear that this is NOT Charlie de Lauzirika and Ridley Scott's Special Edition DVD. They are most likely taking some extra time to get some supplements including the veterans of this event. Plus, it's clear the lack of a Ridley Scott commentary means this is an initial stab by CTHV to release *something*.

Not sure what I'm going to do. Perhaps Charlie can chime in and let us know what's going on here...

Regards,
Dan

#11 of 66 Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 02:02 PM

Aw. I want DTS on this one!

I will still buy it and I am a big DTS supporter. This was still a great, GREAT movie and the DD track will most likely be of reference quality anyway.

If it does come out again with DTS, Ill buy this one again for sure.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#12 of 66 DarrenA

DarrenA

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 02:27 PM

Quote:
If it does come out again with DTS, Ill buy this one again for sure.

I agree completely! If their is one thing I have learned about collecting my favorite movies on DVD, it's that I will always own the version that has the best picture and/or sound quality. In the grand scheme of money spent on the construction materials, furniture and A/V equipment in my HT, to re-purchase a DVD for $20 is a small price to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I really wish the initial version of Black Hawk Down was the Superbit version. But, knowing that Col/TriStar only releases Superbit titles after the initial release has been available for several months, are we really surprised by this news?
Darren Alcorn
The Academy Home Theater, Atlanta Home Theater Group

#13 of 66 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted April 02 2002 - 02:39 PM

No DTS, so what? I saw this in DD at the theater and it was one of the best sound mixes i've ever heard, the dvd should be accurate to that presentation.

I guess the diehard DTS devotees have no DD titles in their collections huh?

I'll never understand swearing complete loyalty to one sound format over another, especially when those individuals havn't even heard the DD track yet! Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#14 of 66 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 02:52 PM

Well, since this release is practically bare-bones in the first place, I'll take a pass on this one and wait for the SE. My bank account will be very happy.Posted Image
Recently watched- Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, The Walking Dead: Season 4

"That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'."

#15 of 66 DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 02:58 PM

Everyone shouldn't be too concerned here. DTS or not, this is clearly just a "stop-gap" release by Columbia Tri-Star. The real concern we should have here is when the "real" DVD is going to be released.

I'm sure that the Special Edition DVD will have at least one commentary and probably DTS (Ridley Scott allegedly made MGM/UA allow DTS on Hannibal). It will probably have a few documentaries and some newly created material on the events as well.

CTHV is pricing this 6/11 version @ $24.95 which clearly a low price, meaning a non-special edition DVD. We'll have to wait for the official press release to see if they mention the "real" DVD as coming later this year. What would REALLY piss me off is if CTHV leaves us hanging with no mention of the "real" DVD...

Regards,
Dan

#16 of 66 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted April 02 2002 - 03:00 PM

So, has it been confirmed that another version is in the works? If so, this makes no sense at all. Same thing with all these different 'LOTR' dvd's coming out. It's a great movie, but come on.

EDIT: Dan, I think you just answered my question.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#17 of 66 YANG

YANG

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 03:23 PM

I too feel that this release without DTS surround is pity.This makes me look forward for the future release of BLACK HAWK DOWN in S.E or SUPERBIT DELUXE editions.
I will possibly give this a miss...

#18 of 66 Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 03:34 PM

I'll pass. No extras.

#19 of 66 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,265 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 04:31 PM

This is the first time in my life where I may actually hold off on this release because I want extras since this was an actual, real-life story. Normally, I don't care about extras, but on this movie, they are important to me.

#20 of 66 Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted April 02 2002 - 04:48 PM

It's Columbia. Enough said.

Forum Nav Content I Follow