What's new

: ( Disappointed. No DTS on the Black Hawk Down DVD (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
dts or no dts, SE or not. I'll buy it....and if the SE does arrive and it is worth the upgrade, I'll buy that too.
Peace Out~:D

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I'll buy this in a heartbeat!!! Movie first guys!!!! Bonus is exactly that, bonus.... As far as DTS, DD5.1 on an agressive mix like this will sound just fine.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I don't buy non-special editions anymore. I'm so tired of buying just the movie then buying the same thing again later because its got extras that should have been on it 5 months earlier. I'll rent it when it comes out but I'm not buying it till the special edition.

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
It would be nice if Columbia makes some sort of official announcement about an SE and what will be on it before June 11 so that we could at least make an informed decision whether to buy this one or wait for the SE (if in fact there will be one).

DanR

Supporting Actor
Movie first guys!!!! Bonus is exactly that, bonus
Steve,

Normally I would agree with you. However, in this instance, I don't because:

-Given the subject matter of the film, I want something that is not only the movie, but also gives the background story behind what is portrayed in the film. I think it is important to have this material included with the film to help better understand what happened in Somalia and out of respect for those who not only fought, but also those who lost their lives.

-We know, given what Ridley Scott and Charlie de Lauzirika have done on DVD in the past, that a truly special Special Edition is going to come at some unspecified point in the future (and that it's being worked on right now).

Regards,

Dan

PS: Is anyone else a little pissed off that CTHV's press release does not even mention that a Special Edition is in the works? At least with Pearl Harbor, we were told upfront by the studio.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll buy this in a heartbeat!!! Movie first guys!!!! Bonus is exactly that, bonus.... As far as DTS, DD5.1 on an agressive mix like this will sound just fine.
Steve,

As you already know with my personal collection totaling over 1500 dvds, I would normally agree with you, but since I've seen this film three times during it's theatrical run I can wait for the special edition. I'm getting tired of spending money on 2-3 different dvd releases of the same film.

Crawdaddy

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Steve,

As you already know with my personal collection totaling over 1500 dvds, I would normally agree with you, but since I've seen this film three times during it's theatrical run I can wait for the special edition. I'm getting tired of spending money on 2-3 different dvd releases of the same film.
I can understand not wanting to see the movie again after three views. In my case, I love to exercise my gear, and a track like this is perfect demo material.....

DTS or DD......

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but if you know extras are probably on the way you just exercise some restraint and common sense. What is the point of intentionally double buying? Money burning a hole in your pocket is all I see.

I have had to rebuy when a better version came out, but if I'd known I would do the rent and wait as well.

Worked with Dogma, for example.

Now DTS vs DD, I could let that slide. If the only change was going to be that then I would probably not wait to buy.

But keep in mind that this was a Best Sound Oscar winner so hopefully the sound will be getting the sort of bitrate it deserves.

But isn't a "bare" version just ripe to go straght to Superbit rather than just a "regular" version. I'd feel better about it if CTS would put their stamp on it saying "we tweeked out every last bit for this" rather than having to wonder how it's been handled. Half-ass extras are nothing more than bandwidth hogs. Either be special or be a good picture/audio, at least with one of your "star" titles.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have yet to see this movie, that is why I am buying the first go around. It's the same price as if I would have seen it 4 months ago in the theater. Then, if the SE comes out, I'll buy that, then it will be like buying the DVD for the first time, because I bought the first DVD with the money I saved from not seeing it in the theater. :laugh:
Peace Out~:D

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I have a feeling Columbia is going to stick with the Superbit version for the DTS soundtracks. Why else would anyone buy Superbit? At least from what I have noticed the picture quality on most of the Super bit titles is so minimal that it just doesn't matter for purchasing concearns. Unless of course it is one of the first Columbia DVD titles. Dracula anyone? ;)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I, too, will rent the initial BHD release and buy the SE version. I'm sure the DD 5.1 track will sound great, but I still prefer DTS if I can get it.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I've gotten to the point I don't have time for extras anyway. While I would like a DTS soundtrack, I am sure the DD will sound fantastic anyway. Plus I am moving into an apartment around the time this thing comes out so I won't be able to blast away much more anyway.:frowning:

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I'm still trying figure out the subtitles section.

The press release posted by Ron states that Korean subtitles are included but the back image of the DVD that's been posted does not include it.

Does anyone which is correct?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just really hope Columbia announces very soon if and when the SE is coming.

Mark E J

Second Unit
The Digital Bits have confirmed that BHD will be a SE later this year or early next.
Here's the quote from their site:
The initial release will be basically a movie-only edition, including anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, an On the Set featurette, theatrical trailers and filmographies (SRP $27.96). Fans of the film may want to hold off however, as a more elaborate special edition version of the film on DVD is already in the works for late in the year or early next year. You'll get audio commentaries and lots more if you're patient. Just FYI.
I for one will get both. I like the movie, and will surely watch the film mutiple times before fall or early next year. If the extra features are trully special (and with Charles De Lauzirika I'm sure they are) then I'll be happy to pay extra for the SE. Hey, atleast it beats paying Blockbuster everytime I want to see the film. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks