What's new

: ( Disappointed. No DTS on the Black Hawk Down DVD (1 Viewer)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Well, I mean that I have been disapointed with Columbia's more recent decisions like this non-OAR issue with the A Midnight Clear DVD.

Also, isn't Columbia doing the exact same thing with Black Hawk Down as they did with Memento by releasing a barebones DVD followed by a special edition several months later.

We WILL see a SE soon. I know it.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
It could be a space issue. The film was close to 2hr 45min, and with all the quick movement and jump cuts it could play hell with the compression. The picture data alone on this is probably eating up TONS of data space.

Of course, Columbia has some of ,if not THE most efficient video encoders out there. Just look at the original Fifth ELement DVD.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Sean,
The film runs 145 minutes (with credits) and isn't a space issue; it's perhaps Columbia wants a quick, out-of-the-gate issue while the SE is worked on for a future release. I'm more than sure that this SE will contain a DTS track along with the added commentary track(s) and other features.
Personally, I'd like to know how LONG of a wait it will be until the SE hits. If a few months, I'll wait, but since this was one of my Top 10 of 2001, this will be a long wait for and I may go for the first version.
Jason

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
This is a highly anticipated title, and I may be alone on this - but I'm holding off on this and all CT titles until we can get a definitive answer on this OAR issue.

Since, more than likely, this is going to be released as a SE later in the year (probably in the fall to compete with other titles), I can wait.

I have found that this is the only way to get a point across - or een attention - from the studios.

Even people are REALLY serious about the future of OAR DVD titles - somebody, somewhere has to take a stand and get the point across.

Even if people hold off for a month before buying BHD, CT should get the point.

Of course, if people are really not that serious about OAR, well then they can continue to purchase and bitch, I guess.

I won't.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
ok...didnt know it was only 145. Thought it was more like 160. Either way, all the fast movement and fast cuts has to play hell with the compressionists.

I too want an SE on this. Will wait and see.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"ok...didnt know it was only 145. Thought it was more like 160"
With the usual six trailers, five commercials, theater trailers and sound format logos, it can make the entire experience up to 165 minutes long. ;)
Jason (again)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I'll give it a rental (since I have yet to see it) and then buy the S.E. if I like the film.

Also, it looks like the Starship Troopers S.E. will not have a DTS track either...

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or is this seem like the standard CTHV thing now. less than a year after Memento, we have an SE. Vertical limit got the Superbit rerelease. Crouching Tiger too. Patriot. All films that were done right or not the first time. I am almost hesitant to buy anything CTHV if it isnt a serious balls to the wall SE.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
These multiple releases are really starting to put a dent in my wallet. I'm going to have to pass on the initial release if there is an SE on the way...

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Hey, at least they fit one featurette on the disc.

The Ali DVD only has the films' trailer. No featurette at all.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I'll be buying this one just to have this great movie and when a Superbit Deluxe or whatever kind of Special Edition comes out in the future with DTS I will be buying it too.

To bad though that they didn't go right by this dvd the first time around.

Mark E J

Second Unit
I can pretty much garantee that there will be an SE down the road. First of all we know for a fact that Charles De Lauzirika is making this DVD and he has publicly stated that there might be a bare-bones version first. Plus I just don't see him involved in such a standard release.
I think what we are seeing is the answer to rental windows. They release a movie only version first then 6 months later they give you a SE. While I'm not crazy about this concept I think it might give DVD producers the time and freedom to really do some great work. Look at Pearl Harbor and Lord of the Rings. The SE's there are not just a second disc with some deleted scenes and EPK material, they are 3 or 4 disc ultimate editions with everything you could possibly hope for in a DVD.
So let's hope that in the space between the releases we'll get some real extra's for the SE.
A 3 or 4 disc set featureing possibly:
DTS
Alternate cut/ deleted scenes
Several indepth documentaries on the real event.
New interviews and/or audio commentary with the real veterans.
Indepth look into the making of the film.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I never saw the film, but will be holding out in the hope the SE appears this side of Christmas. I'm basiccaly saving up a few thousand for all the fall/winter releases anyway. :D
Dan

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
It's Just Another Format...

When Dolby Digital is done right, I have absolutely no complaints about quality.

Two of the best sounding discs in my collection are DD:

Toy Story 2

Star Wars Episode 1

Blind faith in one audio format over another is a bit... umm... shortsighted...

-Scott

David Judah

Screenwriter
Have most of you become sound format enthusiasts over movie enthusiasts!
Not really--I just think most of us know how it works by now.

If an initial DVD release doesn't have all the things you want(DTS or a particular set of extras), then it is quite easy to rent the DVD for the movie and hold out for a SE to add to the collection.

DJ

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I for one will hold off for the SE. I am so tired of the studios releasing and re-releasing and in some cases re-re-releasing titles.
Time to lay off buying it just to get it NOW! My collection is big enough without buying additional copies of titles. ;)

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
According to DVD Review it will have dts included....

Columbia makes a Black Hawk Downgrade

April 3, 2002

The final information is in for the upcoming DVD of the war film Black Hawk Down and it appears Columbia decided to tone the announced special edition to a basic edition still due out in June.

The disc will contain an anamorphic widescreen transfer with audio in both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1. The only extras will be a brief featurette, filmographies and a theatrical trailer.

Despite the lack of extra icing, the film still stands as a wonderful piece of filmwork and will arrive on June 11th with a suggested retail price of $24.95. The title is now available for preorder at Shop In Digital for only $18.17!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks