-

Photo

Will there be a Ferris Bueller SE?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
144 replies to this topic

#1 of 145 Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 01:57 AM

I just bought this disk last week and was really let down by the quality of the transfer. The picture was riddled with dust blobs and lacked clarity. I actually think the picture was better watching it on cable!

It just depressed me that such a popular film was given such shoddy treatment.

I've decided I am only going to buy SE disks from now on in hopes the studios apply a little care in their making.

#2 of 145 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 02:20 AM

I used to be tempted by $9.99 deals, but now I am willing to wait. I have been waiting for a Ferris S.E. for 2 years now.

#3 of 145 Bac Bradley

Bac Bradley

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 02:24 AM

Ditto, it deserves a proper release.
Do You Have a ManRoom?

www.themanroom.com

#4 of 145 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,869 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 03:08 AM

Quote:
I used to be tempted by $9.99 deals, but now I am willing to wait. I have been waiting for a Ferris S.E. for 2 years now.

I'm not going to argue over the quality of the Ferris Bueller transfer, though at least it is anamorphic widescreen.

By my way of thinking, this DVD is defenitely an SE though. It contains a superb, highly informative commentary track by John Hughes.

What are you expecting -- an HBO schlockumentary? Jennifer Gray -- before and after the tragic nose job -- plastic sergeons speak out featurette?

A good commentary track and deleted scenes if they are really worthwhile (High Fidelity for example has GREAT deleted scenes) are the only SE supplements that mean anything to me. Two disc sets loaded with promotional material are a complete waste of time and plastic.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.
My Twitter page

#5 of 145 Matthew_S

Matthew_S

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 03:43 AM

I have to agree with Ted to a degree. Since John Hughes did a commentary, the current version is probably the best we're going to see. I hope not. I'm still waiting for the rumored John Hughes box set...Any new info. on that??

#6 of 145 LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 04:56 AM

The video on the current disc looks really beautiful too. Some digital artifacts and/or dirt here or there, but overall, I was pleasantly surprised at how relatively new-looking the movie was. If you like the movie and know that Paramount doesn't do many re-releases and plans to revisit unenhanced widescreen titles first, you'd pick this one up and at this price, why not?!

#7 of 145 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 05:08 AM

Many scenese, while showing the limitations of the source prints, are very, very film-like looking even on a big-screen. Depth on many scenes and resolution are good too. I have nothing but praise for the transfer.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#8 of 145 Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 05:28 AM

I have to agree with Matthew, Luke and David.

I feel that the transfer on Ferris looks great. Keep in mind that this film is 16 years old, you can't expect it to look absolutely perfect. It is 16x9 enhanced, 5.1 sound as well as the original soundtrack and a great commentary from John Hughes.

If you are a fan of the film and haven't pick it up at the new low price, you are being overly stubborn.

-Chad

#9 of 145 Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 05:35 AM

Considering this is a Paramount title, you might be waiting for a very long time. I believe their rep has come on here before and stated that they are more interested in putting out new titles than revisiting ones they have already released. (As far as I can remember, their track record proves this. Have they done any re-releases?)
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#10 of 145 David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 05:55 AM

I don't have any problems with the disc (certainly not for $9.99!!!). This isn't the original Highlander, not by a long shot.
However, I gotta disagree on the commentary. Like so many, it was just so much nothing.
Have you ever heard of Vietnam, Larry?

#11 of 145 Beau

Beau

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 06:58 AM

This is my all time favorite movie, but I still havent bought the DVD. I should get it soon. A SE would be cool, but is there anything else avalible that Paramount could put on it?

#12 of 145 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 07:28 AM

:b
I searched through several review sites... Now that I am armed with the above recommendations and several good reviews, I am going to be picking this one up. And to think of what I've been missing...

#13 of 145 LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 07:29 AM

Quote:
This is my all time favorite movie, but I still havent bought the DVD. I should get it soon. A SE would be cool, but is there anything else avalible that Paramount could put on it?

A trailer for one thing would be nice. The menu actually says "Special Feature" (as in singular) - just the commentary. A documentary/featurette would be great too. And the deleted scenes that have been discussed. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately.

#14 of 145 Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 07:34 AM

Even at the rather steep $24.99 I paid for this movie, I'm not dissapointed. Would I like a special edition? Sure. But this is pretty far down on my "needs an SE" list due to the quality of the transfer and the excellent commentary track that are both already there.
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#15 of 145 Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted March 28 2002 - 07:39 AM

I love how the main menu says "Special Feature." If that's not a shot in the prunes, I don't know what is.
My DVDs

#16 of 145 Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 01:55 AM

Posted Image

#17 of 145 Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 02:49 AM

Paramount have been revisiting a lot of their more popular catalogue titles recently (Untouchables, Top Gun, Airplane, Tommy Boy...), and I'm relatively certain that Bueller is one of their top-selling DVDs.

Bearing that in mind, expect an SE. Mathematically, it makes perfect sense - take one of your most popular bare-bones titles, add a couple fluffy featurettes, slap a 'Danke Schoen Edition' banner on the cover, and watch the money roll in.

#18 of 145 Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 02:55 AM

I'm waiting for a special edition too. This is one of my favourite movies, and the cheap price on the current DVD won't sway me from holding out. There were rumours of a special edition last year (in the rumor mill on thedigitalbits.com) and I believe that they will be justified soon, so it's worth waiting for. Next year, the movie will be 20 years old. If they don't release it this year, or next year in a "20th Anniversary Edition", I will finally cave and buy it, but until there is no new DVD at the end of 2006, I'm not buying the current version. I think the DVD being sold cheap everywhere is a sign of a special edition being on the way. The same thing happened with "Get Shorty" before its collector's edition came up. Those who buy the old versions of DVDs that stores are selling dirt cheap to get rid of them before a new version comes out are suckers. Posted Image

#19 of 145 Dustin Elmore

Dustin Elmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 09:01 AM

Quote:
What's the original aspect ratio? Widescreen 2.35:1 ? I don't think so... I believe the Laserdisc aspect ratio is correct (1.85:1)

I thought the DVD was 1.85:1.

#20 of 145 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 09:30 AM

I own the DVD, and it's 2.35:1. I think the film was shot in Super35, so a 1.85:1 version most likely opens up the mattes and shows more image on top and bottom.

The version I've seen on German TV always used the 2.35:1 version and zoomed it up, with awful results. Posted Image

The version I saw in theaters was also 2.35:1.

Chris

Forum Nav Content I Follow