What's new

Will there be a Ferris Bueller SE? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just bought this disk last week and was really let down by the quality of the transfer. The picture was riddled with dust blobs and lacked clarity. I actually think the picture was better watching it on cable!

It just depressed me that such a popular film was given such shoddy treatment.

I've decided I am only going to buy SE disks from now on in hopes the studios apply a little care in their making.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I used to be tempted by $9.99 deals, but now I am willing to wait. I have been waiting for a Ferris S.E. for 2 years now.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I used to be tempted by $9.99 deals, but now I am willing to wait. I have been waiting for a Ferris S.E. for 2 years now.
I'm not going to argue over the quality of the Ferris Bueller transfer, though at least it is anamorphic widescreen.
By my way of thinking, this DVD is defenitely an SE though. It contains a superb, highly informative commentary track by John Hughes.
What are you expecting -- an HBO schlockumentary? Jennifer Gray -- before and after the tragic nose job -- plastic sergeons speak out featurette?
A good commentary track and deleted scenes if they are really worthwhile (High Fidelity for example has GREAT deleted scenes) are the only SE supplements that mean anything to me. Two disc sets loaded with promotional material are a complete waste of time and plastic.
Ted

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I have to agree with Ted to a degree. Since John Hughes did a commentary, the current version is probably the best we're going to see. I hope not. I'm still waiting for the rumored John Hughes box set...Any new info. on that??

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The video on the current disc looks really beautiful too. Some digital artifacts and/or dirt here or there, but overall, I was pleasantly surprised at how relatively new-looking the movie was. If you like the movie and know that Paramount doesn't do many re-releases and plans to revisit unenhanced widescreen titles first, you'd pick this one up and at this price, why not?!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Many scenese, while showing the limitations of the source prints, are very, very film-like looking even on a big-screen. Depth on many scenes and resolution are good too. I have nothing but praise for the transfer.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Matthew, Luke and David.

I feel that the transfer on Ferris looks great. Keep in mind that this film is 16 years old, you can't expect it to look absolutely perfect. It is 16x9 enhanced, 5.1 sound as well as the original soundtrack and a great commentary from John Hughes.

If you are a fan of the film and haven't pick it up at the new low price, you are being overly stubborn.

-Chad

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Considering this is a Paramount title, you might be waiting for a very long time. I believe their rep has come on here before and stated that they are more interested in putting out new titles than revisiting ones they have already released. (As far as I can remember, their track record proves this. Have they done any re-releases?)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I don't have any problems with the disc (certainly not for $9.99!!!). This isn't the original Highlander, not by a long shot.

However, I gotta disagree on the commentary. Like so many, it was just so much nothing.

Beau

Supporting Actor
This is my all time favorite movie, but I still havent bought the DVD. I should get it soon. A SE would be cool, but is there anything else avalible that Paramount could put on it?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
:b

I searched through several review sites... Now that I am armed with the above recommendations and several good reviews, I am going to be picking this one up. And to think of what I've been missing...

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
This is my all time favorite movie, but I still havent bought the DVD. I should get it soon. A SE would be cool, but is there anything else avalible that Paramount could put on it?
A trailer for one thing would be nice. The menu actually says "Special Feature" (as in singular) - just the commentary. A documentary/featurette would be great too. And the deleted scenes that have been discussed. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Even at the rather steep $24.99 I paid for this movie, I'm not dissapointed. Would I like a special edition? Sure. But this is pretty far down on my "needs an SE" list due to the quality of the transfer and the excellent commentary track that are both already there.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I love how the main menu says "Special Feature." If that's not a shot in the prunes, I don't know what is.

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
Paramount have been revisiting a lot of their more popular catalogue titles recently (Untouchables, Top Gun, Airplane, Tommy Boy...), and I'm relatively certain that Bueller is one of their top-selling DVDs.

Bearing that in mind, expect an SE. Mathematically, it makes perfect sense - take one of your most popular bare-bones titles, add a couple fluffy featurettes, slap a 'Danke Schoen Edition' banner on the cover, and watch the money roll in.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting for a special edition too. This is one of my favourite movies, and the cheap price on the current DVD won't sway me from holding out. There were rumours of a special edition last year (in the rumor mill on thedigitalbits.com) and I believe that they will be justified soon, so it's worth waiting for. Next year, the movie will be 20 years old. If they don't release it this year, or next year in a "20th Anniversary Edition", I will finally cave and buy it, but until there is no new DVD at the end of 2006, I'm not buying the current version. I think the DVD being sold cheap everywhere is a sign of a special edition being on the way. The same thing happened with "Get Shorty" before its collector's edition came up. Those who buy the old versions of DVDs that stores are selling dirt cheap to get rid of them before a new version comes out are suckers. :D

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I own the DVD, and it's 2.35:1. I think the film was shot in Super35, so a 1.85:1 version most likely opens up the mattes and shows more image on top and bottom.
The version I've seen on German TV always used the 2.35:1 version and zoomed it up, with awful results. :)
The version I saw in theaters was also 2.35:1.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks