-

Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone here studying martial arts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

#1 of 130 OFFLINE   Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 12:41 PM

I'm studying Tang So Doo right now and I love it. I only wish that I would have started in my childhood, but it's never too late to learn.

I chose the Korean Tang So Doo because of it's emphasis on kicking. All martial arts are good, but Tang So Doo is more of a kicking art and focuses on power over finesse.

#2 of 130 OFFLINE   Matt_M

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 01:13 PM

Yep
I've been taking Shotokan Karate for almost two years now. I agree its better to start early. I am still young but wish I could do the splits.

#3 of 130 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,419 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted February 14 2002 - 01:15 PM

Not right now but I have studied Wing Chun. I chose this because I am a pretty big guy and it really focuses on the efficiency of smaller moves and combinations of block/strikes and involves almost no acrobatics.I haven't been lately as I blew my knee out and still haven't quite recovered. I, like everyone here, wish that I had started early too. Although, our Sifu did not allow students under the age of 15 to participate but I would have liked to start at 15 rather than 24.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#4 of 130 OFFLINE   Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 02:01 PM

Flexibility is my main problem. If one isn't flexible, one will have a difficult time executing proper kicks. How often do you guys do your stretching? Is your stretching relegated to the days you have class, or do you stretch on the other days too?

I sometimes am the only person in the morning class and when I spar with my instructor, it's very difficult to execute kicks because he is tall (about 6'4). If I had better flexibility, I could do better kicks, there is no doubts there.

#5 of 130 OFFLINE   Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 02:07 PM

I studied Tae Kwon Do for 8 yrs and helped to teach for 4. During that time I would stretch every morning and usually every evening. I ran into some knee problems about 3yrs ago and have not felt comfortable practicing since. I'm not sure if it is a result of all the kicking or not, though.

Dan Hine
I strive to be the man my dog thinks I am.

#6 of 130 OFFLINE   Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter

• 1,221 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 03:35 PM

If you want to learn how to kick, you should focus on Muay Tai Kick Boxing. It's a more pragmatic than any other striking martial art out there. It would be good to mix with Brazilian Jui Jitsu if you want to learn how to truly defend yourself. Watch things like Pride and UFC to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.
"I don't remember much..... Uhhhh...."

#7 of 130 OFFLINE   Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter

• 1,221 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 03:37 PM

If you are trying to learn how to defend yourself, traditional boxing is probably your best route, especially for street fight situations. Kick boxing is good too, but I think boxing is easier to learn in a shorter amount of time since it's so natural.
"I don't remember much..... Uhhhh...."

#8 of 130 OFFLINE   Max Knight

Max Knight

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 02:23 AM

4 years of Northern Shaolin style kung fu in college. I haven't trained since moving to NYC, mainly because I couldn't find a school a liked. Martial arts are tremendous fun, and a great workout!
-Max
Max Knight
----------
Lacking fins and tail
the gefilte fish swims with
great difficulty.

#9 of 130 OFFLINE   LDfan

LDfan

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 02:48 AM

Go with the grappling styles like Jui Jitsu. Start watching any of the UFC events and you'll see that once you're on the ground and off your feet it's a whole different ball game.

Jeff

#10 of 130 OFFLINE   RicP

RicP

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 03:05 AM

Quote:
If you are trying to learn how to defend yourself, traditional boxing is probably your best route, especially for street fight situations
Have to completely disagree here. A boxer is lost if they're off their feet. No one I know -- especially in a street fight -- is going to stand toe to toe and "duke it out". Typically on eor both of the participants are on the ground within 2 minutes and then it's the one with the best grappling skills that usually prevails.

In addition boxers are not trained to block or defend against powerful kicks. Front solar plexus kicks and roundhouses are not easily defended by someone not used to experiencing them.

I studied Tae Kwon Do and Karate for about 8 years. Like many others, I tore my MCL and haven't really been able to put as much power into my kicks since, but the defensive part of the training is still with me.

#11 of 130 OFFLINE   Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter

• 1,088 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 05:17 AM

I'm still looking for a good Jeet Kune Do school in Toronto, for my daughters as well as myself. I'd send them to either that, Krav Magev, or Pentjak Silat (think that's the right spelling); all arts designed to destroy your opponent's ability to hurt you in the least amount of time, with the least amount of extranious motion. Wing Chun is another decent one, in that respect.

Of course, I'd also like to put my daughters in Wushu, because it looks bloody neat. Little 'martial' lots of 'art.'

Or a Kenjitsu school. As opposed to Kendo. Mmmmm kenjitsu.

#12 of 130 OFFLINE   Max Knight

Max Knight

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 05:25 AM

Inevitably the "which style is better for fighting?" question comes up!

Remember, the better martial artist will win, no matter what the style.

Grappling can be great, but if a grappler gets a powerful blow to the head befor closing and is knocked out/killed/severely hurt they aren't going to be doing much grappling.

Striking arts can be very powerful, but if the opponent has done enough "iron body" style training it's going to be hard to hurt them.

Hard style vs. soft style, grappling vs. striking, internal vs. external, it doesn't really matter. Straight up boxing vs. the NYC 52 Blocks prison fighting style vs. Ju Jitsu vs. Hung Gar vs. Capoeira vs. Sambo, it doesn't matter.

The person who has the most skill and the will to use it will have the upper hand.

-Max
Max Knight
----------
Lacking fins and tail
the gefilte fish swims with
great difficulty.

#13 of 130 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 06:36 AM

Hum.....I see you've been training. But, your techniques are no match for my Shaolin Monkey Fist.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#14 of 130 OFFLINE   Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted February 15 2002 - 05:20 PM

I studied Kuk Sool Won with Kwahn Jahng Nim(Master) In Joo Suh.

I agree that to be really good, a combination of styles would really work well.

Wrestling (no not wwf)
Jui Jitsu
Jeet Kune Do
& Wing Chung(wing chun)

is what i would do.

"Charlie don't surf."

#15 of 130 OFFLINE   Darren Crouse

Darren Crouse

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 09:02 PM

Took Aikido Yoshinkai for a few years and entertain the notion of going back once school is over. I also have my black badge in IPSC, a qualified PPC and IDPA shooter, if that counts at all Posted Image
-Take care,
Darren.
Religion is the opium of the masses. Revolution is the opium of the intellectuals.

#16 of 130 OFFLINE   Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted February 16 2002 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
Of course, I'd also like to put my daughters in Wushu, because it looks bloody neat. Little 'martial' lots of 'art.'

Isn't Ray Park - a.k.a. Darth Maul - trained in Wushu? I'm pretty sure he is.

#17 of 130 OFFLINE   Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff

Second Unit

• 379 posts

Posted February 17 2002 - 03:24 AM

I think you are confused. He was trained in the ways of the Sith. Posted Image
An upcoming episode has not yet been scheduled. Please check back later.

#18 of 130 OFFLINE   Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted February 17 2002 - 04:12 AM

Got my black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do in Dec after taking it for 3 1/2 years. Trained in Hapkido for 2 years before. I wanted to start early in life(in my teens) but my parents would not let me. I started at the age of 29 so I can't do the splits all the way and can kick only about my head level and not any higher. I agree that the better trained individual will win in a real fight although it is better to have some grappling skills as most real fights end up on the ground.
To educate a man in mind and not morals is to educate a menace to society.
Teddy Roosevelt

#19 of 130 OFFLINE   Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted February 17 2002 - 04:40 AM

Sorry Bhagi, he asked about "Martial Arts" not Martial Sports Posted Image

Just messin with ya Posted Image

"Charlie don't surf."

#20 of 130 OFFLINE   Jason Reich

Jason Reich