What's new

**Avoid at all costs** Follow That Bird... (1 Viewer)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Now it is confirmed. I stopped by Best Buy at lunch hoping to pick this up. But to my dismay, it includes the now infamous Warner tag line.

Standard Version: This film has been modified as follows from its original version. It has been formatted to fit your screen.
Son of a B$@%#...

Warner strikes again...

-Chad

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As a longtime advocate of the DVD format, it is sad to see the depths this studio has sunk to. I have no problem with p&s DVD's, as long as the same thing is available in widescreen as well. tcch tcch tcch!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, I went by Best Buy to pick up Follow That Bird along with other new releases, and they were out of FTB. So I got a raincheck.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip
That was the sound of the raincheck being torn up. I'll mail the pieces to Josh at Warner Brothers, so he understands:

NO OAR = NO SALE

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Oh great, here comes another petition.

While I wouldn't buy this film even if it were OAR, WB was careless to not make this a dual-sided release like Fox's recent family DVD's. Are they expecting everyone to have 4:3 sets and have no OAR-educated children.

Come on...if Ferngully can be OAR on DVD, so can cheese like this.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, I have no intention of starting a petition myself. I might sign one, but not start one.

Simply, I will deny them the sale. Period. My son will enjoy the Jay Jay the Jet Plane disc I bought instead!

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
That's too bad. I would've gotten this if it were presented in its OAR.

Warner, will you ever learn?

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
At least they got The Neverending Story right, to me that's the only one that's mattered.

I mean, do we really need Follow That Bird in widescreen? It would be nice, and Im sure this could be entertaining for adults because Muppet humour is actually very sophisticated; but Im sure the overwhelming majority of people who pick this up will be picking it up for their very young children who can't comprehend OAR anyway.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
do we really need Follow That Bird in widescreen?...will be picking it up for their very young children who can't comprehend OAR anyway.
WRONG!!!!! Larry, this is a pro-OAR forum. We believe strongly in OAR for ALL movies. We do not make exceptions for so-called children's movies. Your attitude is exactly what Warner thinks. But it's simply wrong. Why screw kids out of the whole picture just because they're kids? My son is only 19 months old and he has never seen a p&s disc. Only OAR. Friends don't let friends watch p&s, and responsible parents don't expose their kids to it. :)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Im sure the overwhelming majority of people who pick this up will be picking it up for their very young children who can't comprehend OAR anyway.
That is the same ridiculous attitude that got us into this mess in the first place. Why did Warner decide to put out Willy Wonka in fullscreen? Because people believe, like you, that only small children are purchasing/watching "family entertainment."
You and the rest of the people that hold this opinion would be singing a different tune if you owned a 16x9 TV, like I do. Imagine trying to watch the movie on a widescreen set with black bars on the sides which are actually covering up a chunk of the movie as it was originally produced. Pretty damn frustrating.
As David said, No OAR = No Sale
I just wish that Warner would release both at the same time, even on the same disc. The movie is only 85 minutes long, both versions would easily fit on the same disc. (See the Columbia Muppet releases)
-Chad

bill lopez

Second Unit
Is that Bird movie about 90minutes long?

And does the dvd have a bunch of extras?

It sounds like they could have fit both versions on the dvd.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, I honestly was gonna pick this up for the sake of nostalgia, but forget it now......and not just because it's not OAR (though I am a follower of the No OAR=No Sale movement). I was hoping for a truly "family friendly" release, but unlike what was reported earlier in the year, Warners DID NOT do the right thing and digitally add some pants to Big Bird. I WILL NOT subject my future children to entertainment that tells them it is OK to hitch-hike across the country wearing no clothing whatsoever. It amazes me, Warner can inappropriately censor an adult-aimed film like Eyes Wide Shut, but can't appropriately censor an older lewd film aimed at children. Kubrick is rolling in his grave right now, and any decent parent should be outraged as well.

bill lopez

Second Unit
You would think that if the movie is for kids they would want to expose them to widescreen since they are the future.
Instead they want to raise the young generation as Joe6pack!:angry:

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
While I am not sure what a petition would accomplish. I would like to get some answers about this release. It seems pretty fishy that NO information about this release was ever given out. NO press release, no accurate information at retailers, dvdempire was even told that the release date was pushed back. So what gives?

What would be the best way to contact someone? Email dvdfile, digitalbits? Maybe we can get Phong to contact Josh at Warner and see what he knows.

Any ideas?

-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks