What's new

LOTR bloopers (1 Viewer)

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I don't know if this is true or not, since I haven't seen the movie yet, but someone sent me this and I thought it was pretty funny.
-----------------
RINGS NOT SO TRUE: Speaking of ''Lord of the Rings,'' sharp-eyed Tolkien fans have caught a few bloopers after carefully watching the hit film. In one scene between Sean Astin and Elijah Wood, a car can be spied, zipping along in the distant background. In another sequence, Viggo Mortensen is seen tossing around an apple, which clearly has a supermarket price label attached. After one of the more climactic battle scenes, an extra apparently was a bit too eager to go home. Though playing a dead soldier, he pops his head up to look around.
-----------------
Anything else "out of the ordinary" has anyone noticed?
I know it's fairly common to make a mistake or two in a movie, despite the best intentions of the continuity department.;)

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
That site is kind of weird. What are you voting for? Why are Cameos listed as mistakes? that you can then vote on. Some items are just observations.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You vote Up if you think it's actually a mistake, down if you think it should be removed.

Once it compiles what people notice as "real" mistakes, it lists those.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Saw LOTR last night for the 4th time, and for the first time, I saw the moving car. It's kind of a shame, because now I'll be looking for it every time I see the film. I'll bet Jackson removes it for the DVD release. At least, I hope he does.

I'm already jonesing to see it again!

Vickie

derek

Second Unit
A little CGI magic and that car (and other bloopers) could be gone from the DVD and future film releases. ;) Interesting to see if that happens.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Ulf is right, but it happens so quickly, you have to be looking at the right spot when it happens.

Start paying attention when Sam and Frodo are in the field, when Sam says that if he takes another step, he'll be the furthest away from home. Near the end of that scene, just when Frodo says "You know what Bilbo always says..." look up toward the top right of the screen. Not all the way up, just about halfway between where Frodo and Sam are standing and the edge of the screen. It switches to a long overhead shot of the two. You'll see a tiny, light moving object. It then disappears (traveling behind something in front of it) then it reappears. It's obviously a moving car kicking up dust on a dirt road.

We were in the front row, watching on the biggest regular screen in Chicago (McClurg Court Theater 1, the only bigger screen is the IMAX).

Vickie ("I'm not crazy!")

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Terrell, your sig reminds me of my favorite blooper in Star Wars. It's on the Death Star, when the Stormtroopers have opened the door to the control room where C3PO and R2D2 are hiding. A Stormtrooper on the far right is too tall going in and bonks his head on the overhead door. I died the first time I saw that, but I always felt bad for the actor, who probably got a headache out of it.

There are a ton of bloopers in Star Wars. My other favorite got cut out of some releases. They're chasing Han and Chewie and one of the Stormtroopers says "Close the blast doors!" which then closes AFTER Han and Chewie runs through. Then there's a frantic "Open the blast doors!" The line "Close the blast doors" was removed, for some reason. Actually, that's not really a blooper, but it sure was funny.

Vickie (former Star Wars geek)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
How did the editors let that one slip (the car)??? I can understand some bloopers but others I cannot. Is is not someone's job to go through all of the movie footage basically fram by frame?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I love little flaws in films. I've always wondered if directors leave some in just for laughs. Some of them are so obvious, you scratch your head and say wait a minute. They left that in there on purpose.
Yes Vickie, the Stormtrooper bumping his head is hilarious. I'm glad it was left in.:)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
How did the editors let that one slip (the car)??? I can understand some bloopers but others I cannot. Is is not someone's job to go through all of the movie footage basically fram by frame?
The answer is that no one saw it.

I saw Star Wars probably twenty times before someone pointed out the Stormtrooper who hits his head to me. I had never noticed.

I had seen The Hunt For Red October at least thirty times, four of them in the theatre on a big screen, before I saw the boom mic that drops in for an extended period of time.

I had seen Aliens dozens of times before I saw the hole in the floor.

Sometimes, you just can't see these things, no matter how many times you see the film.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
There are a ton of bloopers in Star Wars. My other favorite got cut out of some releases. They're chasing Han and Chewie and one of the Stormtroopers says "Close the blast doors!" which then closes AFTER Han and Chewie runs through. Then there's a frantic "Open the blast doors!" The line "Close the blast doors" was removed, for some reason. Actually, that's not really a blooper, but it sure was funny.
If I am not mistaken, I believe that quote is back in the special editions.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam,
the hole where the bottom half of Lance Henrikson's body is poking through because the character he plays (Bishop) is supposed to have been cut in half
As for the Stormtrooper hitting his head, I also didn't see it until many viewings, and now I can't stop from laughing. I think the guy really almost knocks himself silly, the way his head kinda bobbles back and forth. :D
I am glad that's left in there because if you're not looking for it, you won't notice it. And it doesn't detract from the film in any way. :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else notice the Episode 1 blooper?
Towards the end of the movie when Amidala and her troops are storming the Palace and are finally captured, It goes into the scene where the fake Amidala distracts the trade federation. Natalie Portman grabs the gun and throws it toward Panaka and as she walks around the desk she slips on the floor and almost falls:D. I happens right before the line "Now Viceroy, we will discuss a new treaty!"
I was laughing my ass off at that.

todd stone

Screenwriter
These days, before that hit's DVD do you think they would edit that car out of the scene somehow, or just leave it in?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks