What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Middle Earth 6-Film Ultimate Collector's Edition (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Yeah, it's mostly my kids (and maybe the sporadic visiting friend) who still want to watch them all that much. I usually just go along for the ride w/ them, but almost never choose them for myself -- there are usually too many other movies (and lately, TV shows) I'd rather watch...

Good to have in my collection (in some quality form), but don't really need them on 4K discs, especially since they probably don't look that much better, if at all, than the 4K digitals even projected at 120"...

Ummm... besides what Crawdaddy mentioned about a new remastered BD set, there's already long been a BD set of what you wanted:

Most of us already have that set... though it has its issues/controversies, so at this point, you're probably best off waiting for that new remastered version instead... although I imagine you can get the old set more cheaply sooner -- it's certainly been cheaper at various points in the past... though probably never below ~$50 (at least on Amazon anyway)...

_Man_

I have that older blu ray extended set, and picked up the 4k LOTR set recently to compare - will be keeping the old one for bonus content but the current 4k set to me looks hands down much better and gets rid of the strange coloring that the older blu ray set had. 4k version looks a lot more like how I remember seeing these movies in the theaters.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Randal's shrug after he throws the ring away (at 1:54) always makes me laugh. In 2006, that scene was a breath of fresh air after 5 years of hearing how those movies were the finest moments in the history of cinema.
I love Kevin Smith’s sense of humor about it, but I 100% disagree. 😛

I mean, did he even WATCH the movies?!?!? There was JUST as much sitting and resting as there was actual walking!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm the one guy who probably enjoys The Hobbit movies more than the LOTR movies. I liked The Hobbit(s) enough that it helped create a greater appreciation of the first three in me.

That was actually a problem w/ PJ's LotR. Despite the runtimes, there actually wasn't enough spent on the Hobbits (and some other key aspects that offered real reason for hope and good cheer), except mostly at the beginning of Fellowship (and a little bit sprinkled around here or there).

Ideally, maybe (a much less overwrought) The Hobbit movie(s) should've been made first, so there's at least more context before the PJ-style LotR, but that's not what happened...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have that older blu ray extended set, and picked up the 4k LOTR set recently to compare - will be keeping the old one for bonus content but the current 4k set to me looks hands down much better and gets rid of the strange coloring that the older blu ray set had. 4k version looks a lot more like how I remember seeing these movies in the theaters.

Some of us are content enough w/ the 4K digitals particularly since there's apparently not always 4K worth of details in the remastered image (and my eyes aren't getting any younger either), hehheh... ;) :cool: I do wish 4K digitals come w/ significantly higher bitrate audio though, but oh well...

Maybe I will eventually get the discs if/when they go on some uber clearance sale perhaps...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just had a conversation with Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits. He was very kind to verify…

The 4k transfer on this set is the exact transfer as last year’s separate trilogy releases.

HOWEVER…

The LOTR Blu-rays are now remastered from the new 4K presentations as well.

As you are aware, there is also a standalone Blu-ray release of just the extended versions.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just had a conversation with Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits. He was very kind to verify…

The 4k transfer on this set is the exact transfer as last year’s separate trilogy releases.

HOWEVER…

As you are aware, there is also a standalone Blu-ray release of just the extended versions.

Wasn't that always what WB promised?

I thought they always said the 2021 Blu-rays would be new...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wasn't that always what WB promised?

I thought they always said the 2021 Blu-rays would be new...

Colin,

I don’t have the original press release from last year or any statements from WB in front of me as to what to expect in the new release.

All I can tell you is that the question about the BDs were brought up to me privately and I took the initiative to find an answer.

So, if Warner did spell out that the 2021 Blu-rays would be sourced from the new 4k scans, that is something that I didn’t catch and retain at the time of the announcement.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Hell, I love the movies and even watched them again in a movie theater before the pandemic hit in 2020.
Same here, and I'll watch them again when they come back to the theater. One of those movies that need to be watched on the big screen.

I was holding out for this ultimate edition but I'm underwhelmed. I'll probably just buy the regular 4k set. I have just about every set they've put out so far. Right now it's my favorite movie of all time. It's a masterpiece.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Same here, and I'll watch them again when they come back to the theater. One of those movies that need to be watched on the big screen.

Definitely. It's largely why/how I kept upgrading to a bigger screen w/ enough approval even from the wife (and of course, the kids) -- it was certainly the trigger for our first foray into rear projection (and 16x9 HD) from a mere 32" 4x3, SD CRT.

I'd actually like to go larger than 120" w/ my FP setup if my new, current space permitted, but it'll do from ~10.5ft viewing distance -- usually better than going to a theater IMHO.

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Official press release has been added to the original top post

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

HOWEVER…

My projector doesn't support 4K and it will be likely quite a few years before it is upgraded, but new masters of LOTR on blu-ray sounds interesting. I do recall the inconsistencies across movies the last time watched. Thanks for the heads up.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I noticed that DD has this for $199, while Amazon is still at $240. I think I will go with DD.

BTW has anyone had a problem with DD cancelling orders? They’ve canceled 2 on me, saying the card was declined but I’ve called the card company and it’s fine. So WTF?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I noticed that DD has this for $199, while Amazon is still at $240. I think I will go with DD.

BTW has anyone had a problem with DD cancelling orders? They’ve canceled 2 on me, saying the card was declined but I’ve called the card company and it’s fine. So WTF?
Best Buy then Amazon has price matched this 4K box set for $169.99.

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
Just slightly off-topic but I was wondering why, in the light of the Harry Potter 20th anniversary look-back (Return to Hogwarts), Peter Jackson et al have decided not to do something similar for LOTR. Most of the main actors are still with us and if they are possibly waiting to do a 25th anniversary "thing", that might not be the case (at least there is greater risk).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just slightly off-topic but I was wondering why, in the light of the Harry Potter 20th anniversary look-back (Return to Hogwarts), Peter Jackson et al have decided not to do something similar for LOTR. Most of the main actors are still with us and if they are possibly waiting to do a 25th anniversary "thing", that might not be the case (at least there is greater risk).

I don't know what the Potter thing you mention is, but the "Middle-Earth" set includes those 3 new Zoom panels with prominent cast members and PJ - doesn't that count as a 20th anniversary "look-back" of sorts?

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what the Potter thing you mention is, but the "Middle-Earth" set includes those 3 new Zoom panels with prominent cast members and PJ - doesn't that count as a 20th anniversary "look-back" of sorts?
It's the Harry Potter:Return to Hogwarts special on HBO Max and here in Canada on Crave.
I was not aware of the Zoom panels on the Middle Earth set. Thanks.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's the Harry Potter:Return to Hogwarts special on HBO Max and here in Canada on Crave.
I was not aware of the Zoom panels on the Middle Earth set. Thanks.

Here's a summary from my review:

"Created in 2021, we find three Cast Reunions. Hosted by Stephen Colbert, we find these virtual panels:

Actors Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan (39:39);

Actors Cate Blanchett, Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom and Liv Tyler (32:25).

Writer/director Peter Jackson and actors Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis (29:50).

Across these, the actors discuss their initial reactions to their early LOTR experiences as well as aspects of the shoot and general thoughts about the movies and their work.

As a Tolkien super-fan, Colbert brings a contagious enthusiasm to these discussions, and he helps bring out a fun sensibility. I can’t claim we find real revelations in these reels, but it’s a delight to see so many of the LOTR principals back together after all these years, and we get enough insights to make them informative."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks