What's new

Epson 5030UB vs. Epson 3500 (1 Viewer)

robleader

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob L
Good Afternoon,

Im looking for a good projector for a media room.

18ft deep x 13 wide.

I found the 5030UB for $1999 at Best Buy but now see that the 3500 is $1299

The plan is to mainly watch movies and sports. There is no direct light focused on the screen, lighting is along wall and overhead.

Am I really losing anything by buying a 3500 and almost cutting my cost in 1/2?

Thank you

Robert.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the 3500 also offers lens shift and 3D but I'm not positive - I think it's the 8345 that doesn't offer 3D.

I've got a 5030 and I'm loving it - it cost a bit more last year compared to the price Best Buy is offering now (I think I paid $2600), but it's a beautiful piece of technology - everything looks great, whether it's 2D or 3D, color or black and white, HD or SD, watched in nighttime viewing conditions or with some daylight. It's a phenomenal projector. I was kinda pushing my budget when I got it, but I'm glad I did.

But on the flip side, my previous projector was an Epson Powerlite Home 20, which is a standard-definition projector from before the HD era, and wasn't their top-of-the-line model, and I loved it. I think Epson makes some pretty good projectors, and that "bargain" projector I had back then from them was still pretty great. So without having seen the 3500, I'm sure it's still a very nice machine.

Does your local Best Buy offer both models in store? If so, perhaps you can bring a couple of your favorite discs in and demo them both before deciding? If not, maybe check out some of the online vendors that allow you to return the projector within 30 days as long as you don't go over a certain number of lamp hours - you could check it out yourself at home.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
You think this is the year to start buying 4k PJ rather than standard HD?
I wouldn't buy a 2K projector right now either.

I've seen the wholesale cost of the higher Sony debuting soon. It might become mine...even though I am waiting for JVC.

Once 4K projectors arrive, LCD projectors are going to plummet. LCD is going to have tougher time with native 4K than DLP and LCoS/D-ILA.

Regarding the 3500/5300. If this room is dark, 5300...no question. Its greater contrast is noticeable. And did you check Epson online(Epson's own website)? They've been selling refurb 5300 for $1600.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks