What's new

CBS Re-set - What's Left In The Vaults? (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
In lieu of VEI recent thankful gutting of CBS's stalled vintage titles, I thought now might be a good time to take another look at what's left and the chances of release of these titles. Be aware, this is by no means a comprehensive list and I know some are missing. This is just an overview of some of the more requested unreleased vintage titles and/or seasons. I split them into three categories:

1) The Ongoing Titles - (Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Happy Days) - These appear to be ones CBS is still releasing (albeit at a much slower pace than before). They will continue with these IMO but there is no guarantee any will be completed. Truthfully, I am not a big western fan and IMO the best seasons of Happy Days are already out there, so I'm not really concerned here personally.

2) The Ongoing Titles??? - (Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction) - Multiple posters have reported that the next season of each ot these titles is coming soon, but I will feel much more comfortable when I see an official announcement. Truthfully, I wish these two would have been included in the VEI deal. At their current snails pace, it will be 5 years till BH is complete. I just want this one done and on my shelf.

3) The Unreleased and Titles Remaining Stalled:

a) Love American Style - Multiple times it's been stated there aren't any usable prints for anything beyond season 1 so this one IMO will continue to be pretty much dead in the water

b) Love Boat - Still a mystery to me why those additional seasons were remastered so long ago and have been just sitting there but it remains that only 2 seasons are out there. CBS obviously has no intentionally of doing anything with them, I think Shout would be a great fit on this one based on what they are putting out now, but truthfully I don't know if they have ever licensed anything from CBS. If this doesn't end up with Shout, I see it shelved for good.

c) My 3 Sons - DItto on what I said about Shout Factory although they have been quickly moving away from 60 b/w releases the past few years. Maybe VEI will take a chance on this one in their next batch, but this is not really their wheelhouse. Have they ever put out anything b/w or even color from the 60's? This is my last big thorn in my side remaining at CBS. I have a whole "alternate" set, but would love a high quality proper release.

d) The Defenders - Unless Timeless wants to take a chance on this one, I see this one also shelved forever. No-one else (not named Warner Brothers) currently is out there putting out hour long b/w 60's Dramas. A shame, but I'm guessing this one's a lost cause.

e) High Chapparal - A moot discussion cause if you really want it, you can get it through Madman overseas, so unless this is a grail show for you and you absolutely NEED a region 1 release, it's out there if you want it.

f) The Rebel - Reportedly being released by Timeless in the late summer.

g) Our Miss Brooks - Remastered recently but I don't see CBS releasing it themselves. They are pretty much out of the b/w half hour sitcom business. Shout has moved that direction also so I was say they only hope on this one migh be a smaller independant???

h) The Millionaire - See Our Miss Brooks above.

i) One Step Beyond - With the recent best of set and the releases already out there, I don't really see a distributor taking a chance on licensing a show when most of the episodes are already on the market in one form or another.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
classicmovieguy said:
Shout! licenced "The Colbys" from CBS, so "Love Boat" might not be such a big problem to licence.

The have also licensed Webster & Sgt. Bilko as well. I think Love Boat would be a good fit for Shout as well, especially if they acquire the rights to the remaining seasons of Fantasy Island.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
The have also licensed Webster & Sgt. Bilko as well. I think Love Boat would be a good fit for Shout as well, especially if they acquire the rights to the remaining seasons of Fantasy Island.
I agree. Even if a 'Complete' Box for "Love Boat" is logistically too big for them to produce, they could always issue the individual seasons and offer a 'Complete' set later down the track.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Frank Soyke said:
As I recall, It's available through Madman down under.
Not quite. The High Chaparral has been released in Germany in season sets and a complete set.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I really hope to see My Three Sons done properly (Including season sets of S1 & 2 with restored audio), and for Petticoat Junction to be wrapped up someday by independents if CBS isn't going to do it.

I just wonder what sort of shape such independent releases will be in, like the announced continuation of Barnaby Jones (No more remastered episodes left for them to release, according to the syndication bible). Any hope something like that will include further remastered episodes? Not like it isn't without any benefit for CBS, since there's still classic tv syndication and streaming.

What of other CBS owned programs from the 50's and 60's? You hardly ever saw Our Miss Brooks mentioned until it popped up there when CBS started remastering episodes. And other than The Defenders, I'm not sure I've ever seen a series from the 50's or 60's be mentioned in threads like this that doesn't have a listing in the syndication bible [Edit: Ben Casey is another, I think.].

While none of it likely has DVD potential, surely, there's more than just that sitting idle in their vaults that CBS isn't making available for syndication sale? 'To Rome with Love', for instance, was produced by Don Fedderson Productions and aired on CBS just like My Three Sons and Family Affair did.

Wouldn't that also be CBS owned today?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I really want to see more of the CBS shows in HD.

Perry Mason has been mastered in HD, but so far it doesn't seem like it's available anywhere.

Hogan's Heroes was airing in HD on HDNet and Universal HD at one time, but not anymore.

There is a "Best of..." collection of Rawhide episodes that were released in Germany on Blu-Ray.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
My "Holy Grail" is the complete series run of Ben Casey.

This is a CBS/Paramount owned property and I STILL can't believe it hasn't been released on DVD. I've heard from more then one source that music rights issues are part of the holdup. C'mon...WKRP was ripe with music and it got released. This is now just a poor excuse.

The more time that passes, the less chance this series has for a release as companies move away from the DVD medium. Personally I prefer a DVD over streaming as I'd like to have the actual product in hand and not be bothered with streaming issues. At this point I'd settle for a DVD set from uncut 16mm prints with picture quality similiar to the ones that CBN aired in the 1990's...minus that Worldvision logo.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I would like to see High Chaparal get a region 1 release. Seems a pity that they've gone to all the work and trouble of remastering this one in high definition, and yet no one in the world is seeing it as far as I know. I've never seen the show, but my wife has spoken well of it for decades, having seen it as a child. I wish Netflix or Amazon Prime would at least buy it for streaming....

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes I want this on region 1 too. The German release is not the recently remastered seasons CBS has been doing. Just like the German Gunsmoke seasons are not the remastered ones. The HD remastering makes an even bigger difference for color shows.

benbess said:
I would like to see High Chaparal get a region 1 release. Seems a pity that they've gone to all the work and trouble of remastering this one in high definition, and yet no one in the world is seeing it as far as I know. I've never seen the show, but my wife has spoken well of it for decades, having seen it as a child. I wish Netflix or Amazon Prime would at least buy it for streaming....

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Left in the CBS/Paramount vault I'd be interested in and a little surprised aren't out (from any company) yet, primarily would be; The Magician (1973-74), The Marshal (1995), Macgruder & Loud (1985), Trackdown, One Step Beyond and The Next Step Beyond (1978-79). Especially the first two strike me as odd MIAs, with Bill Bixby still popular and the show still remembered plus the latter a more current action title not unlike Walker Texas Ranger. The married couple on the beat cop show Macgruder & Loud, would also make a nice licensed release with its one short season.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
How about these Quinn Martin shows? Does CBS own them? If not who owns them!

The New Breed
Dan August
The Manhunter
Caribe
Bert DAngelo
Most Wanted
Tales of the Unexpected
A Man Called Sloan

I would like to get all of these on DVD. It is amazing that with Burt Reynolds starring that Dan August hasn't been released! Anyone have any info on who owns these and any info if any could be released on DVD? Thanks
Robert
I

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks